Patent: Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Mar 20, 2015
Canon took old camera and old lenses changed EF to RF and added 40% to the price.

Yeah, if they'd actually done something useful like push the long-end to 85mm I might have been interested. But instead it's just the n-th concurrent 24-70 in their Big Camera range. I'm not even sure how many they have because 24-70 just isn't useful to me.

Why are they so obsessed with cutting the standard zoom at 70mm? They used to go to 80 or 90mm which made them much more flexible. And in the day when Sigma can make an excellent 10x zoom, saying "zooms are hard" doesn't cut it.

Or let's see some real innovation like a 35-105. All the portrait lengths in one zoom.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if they'd actually done something useful like push the long-end to 85mm I might have been interested. But instead it's just the n-th concurrent 24-70 in their Big Camera range. I'm not even sure how many they have because 24-70 just isn't useful to me.

Why are they so obsessed with cutting the standard zoom at 70mm? They used to go to 80 or 90mm which made them much more flexible. And in the day when Sigma can make an excellent 10x zoom, saying "zooms are hard" doesn't cut it.

Or let's see some real innovation like a 35-105. All the portrait lengths in one zoom.

Yup, because it is hard. There are many 24-105 f/4s out there but no one has made a 24-105 f/2.8. Longer zoom ratios require greater compromises in IQ.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0