Patent: Canon RF 50-80mm f/1.1, because crazy is good

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
Sincerely, nope. The only thing close enough is the 28-70 F2 wich im thinking in purchase it for weddings, but is really heavy. and may be the 70mm can be a little short sometimes.
I’m using the RF 28-70, yes it’s a bit heavy but F2 for all the zoom range is valuable for wedding photography especially in low light condition, buy it enjoy it and no regret

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
For all the times I've carped about the spectacular lenses coming out of Canon without correspondingly spectacular RF bodies, this one seems to fit the EOS R quite well. You don't need more than 3 fps in servo, nor more than 30 mp to exploit this sort of monster as a best-ever portrait lens. This is one that makes sense even in the absence of a new pro body.
there must be some sort of optical quality compromise there, as with every single zoom lens. sure, it would be likely cheaper to by this lens rather than 50/1.2 +85/1.2. seeing what others were able to achieve with RF 85/1/2 lens, i doubt this zoom would be even close optical quality wise.
from my perspective, I would rather 85/1.2 or 105/1.4 + 35/1.4 + 50/1.2 instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Likewise, feel free to repeat after me:

Products began with patent applications
Actually, many don’t. Patent application filing to publication is 18 months, so for products with longer development cycles (like cameras and lenses), development work is generally begun before the patent is filed.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Dunno why people moan about lens weight so much! Sure, there’s a bit of weight to some of the higher end lenses but if they are too heavy for you, then that’s your problem and not the lenses!

I do a lot of building work and I’d never complain about my concrete breaker being too heavy. That’s just how heavy it is.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
"Also included in this patent are optical formulas for a RF 50-80mm f/1.2, RF 50-80mm f/1.4, RF 50-80mm f/1.6 and a RF 50-80mm f/1.8."

I don't understand the idea of making similar lenses. Just make one 50-80mm f1.2. Marketing I guess...$$$
I think Canon are just patenting their optical design / formula. They look like they have three designs on the table...only one will be selected to go to prototype stage and even then...it's a long shot to a full productionised model. Lots of stuff gets designed and then prototyped...only to be canned later due to considerations such as weight, size, pricing or market capacity.
A long time ago there was a prototype for a 24-135 f2.8 L. It was considered by the pros who were asked to test the fully working prototype to be way too large and heavy to be beneficial. It was larger and heavier than the 70-200 f2.8...

If this lens design ends up being heavier and larger than a 50mm f1.2 and a 85mm f1.2....then there is little justification for this lens. Any sensible photographer would opt for a pair of primes...regardless of how convenient the zoom range is.

Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
If you shoot a lot with primes, like I tend to do, then a 28-70mm F2 is amazing - it can knock out at least two lenses if not three general primes. Even if it's heavy, you don't have to switch lenses. Obviously if you own the F2 standard zoom, you're asking for its performance - sharpness is unbelievable wide open. I think once the R body with IBIS comes out, the lenses w/o stabilization will shine even more.

Concerning straps, what kind do you use? I used to use black rapid but it's kind of annoying as it can swing around. Dual straps I've seen but I think they look cooler than they are practical. Bad for your shoulders and neck. You should look into the ones for the waist.

Of course, I already tested this one in a shop. Is a trully awesome lens. But before this, I'll need to sell all my other primes and 6D body to afford this one (isn't speacially cheap) probably Ill miss the 24 1.4 sigma. This extra stop helped a lot of times.

EDIT: I use a straps made in Spain (I'm from Barcelona) They are called byMerro. I've been using them for 4 years and works great. But with only one body, my model of strap becomes less useful

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
I’m using the RF 28-70, yes it’s a bit heavy but F2 for all the zoom range is valuable for wedding photography especially in low light condition, buy it enjoy it and no regret
Of course, I want to rent it for try it in a wedding before purchase it. I would need to sell three primes and 6D body before afford this monster. I already tested it in a shop and looks great (the 70mm may be a little short, having in mind that normally use a 85mm cropping in lightroom)

But as a All in one, is great.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
How heavy such an f = 1.1 lens would be? My EF 85 mm f/1.2 II already weighs roughly a kilogram. Not sure if a quite limited 50-80mm zoom range would be attractive for many people, for wedding and social even photography it could be useful. That said, I am pretty sure that such a lens from Canon would be a real creamy bokeh machine.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Dunno why people moan about lens weight so much! Sure, there’s a bit of weight to some of the higher end lenses but if they are too heavy for you, then that’s your problem and not the lenses!

I do a lot of building work and I’d never complain about my concrete breaker being too heavy. That’s just how heavy it is.
And you seem to be used to carry a bigger tele lens frequently, as your nice bird avatar suggests. Birders like us have no problem with carrying a bit more heavy lenses, but I hear and read that often people complain about the weight of surprisingly light and small gear...

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2014
And you seem to be used to carry a bigger tele lens frequently, as your nice bird avatar suggests. Birders like us have no problem with carrying a bit more heavy lenses, but I hear and read that often people complain about the weight of surprisingly light and small gear...
Well, as usual, there are so many variables. For one, size, weight (and sportivity) of people varies by a factor of 3 or 4 or even more. A person weighing 50 kg will usually have more difficulties lugging around a large lens than one weighing 150 kg. It's also a huge difference if you just have to carry your gear to a photography spot where you can set up a tripod to put the large lens on, or if you actually have to carry it around your neck or shoulder for 12+ hours as you might be doing on a wedding or other event. Furthermore, what if you need to take all your gear with you all day in a backpack because there is no spot where you can leave any of your stuff. Even comparatively light gear will be a pain if carried for extended periods of time. I know from experience as an untrained man weighing less than 70 kg that when photographing mobile events such as parades, or hiking and carrying a 5D4 with a set of 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 for 8 or more hours really isn't very comfortable, even though those lenses are far from being the heaviest.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sincerely, nope. The only thing close enough is the 28-70 F2 wich im thinking in purchase it for weddings, but is really heavy. and may be the 70mm can be a little short sometimes.
I just rented the 28-70. Great lens and I will purchase, but believe me, a battery grip I recommend highly.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I have a RF 28-70 f/2L on the way from lens rentals... because I am still three weeks away from purchase and just can't wait. If Canon would issue an RF 70-135mm f/2L... my life would be complete. I'd sell a kidney and left testicle for that one. Maybe $3,500 for a lens like that? (Well, still would want the 85mm f/1.2L) ;) Honestly, these will be my final purchases... until death do us part.
Ha! Be careful what you wish for. I'd hate to see a fellow Canon user put in a position that would cause him to sever some of those aforementioned vital parts.

• Haha
Upvote 0