Patent: Canon RF 70-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM and more

Nikon has the 200-500 which is not a third party. Canon does not have anything if one wants longer than 400mm and cannot spend tons of money on a 500mm prime
I get the point.
however, none of these vendors have native lenses for mirrorless which is what this patent is about IMO.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
A 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is typically an 'affordable' amount from £100- 400 depending. What will an RF version do to price?
Don't forget the 70-300 L. It is "affordable" in comparison to many other L lenses, but it is above $1,000. While the lower cost 300 mm zooms no doubt sell more, most are sold as kit lenses with rebels. Canon may feel that an L quality R version is a better match, especially since they have the consumer grade 24-240 zoom.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Small niche? I don't think so. Adapting a third party lens is still not the same as native, especially when AF is crucial. And also does not bring any money to Canon.
Sony exec said in an interview that their new 200-600 is very popular. Not hard to see why.
Having 320-900mm (on APS-C) internal zoom lens for $1700 is a great deal.
It’s not a 320-900, it’s a Sony 200-600mm on all bodies. I am not splitting hairs. The new A7RIV has a 24 Mpx crop mode, and the lens does not magically increase its focal length on switching to it from FF. Similarly, a 100-400mm II has the same resolution on a 5DS as it does on a 7DII.

Upvote 0
It’s not a 320-900, it’s a Sony 200-600mm on all bodies. I am not splitting hairs. The new A7RIV has a 24 Mpx crop mode, and the lens does not magically increase its focal length on switching to it from FF. Similarly, a 100-400mm II has the same resolution on a 5DS as it does on a 7DII.
It's true that it's always a 100-400, but on a canon aps c thats effectively 160-640. Now if the high resolution R mount camera has the same resolution as the current top of the line aps-c sensor when cropped, then yes, it's the same as a aps-c camera. In the past that has not been the case. The canon (7d-2's, 80d etc) and equivalent Sony aps-c sensors had more pixels packed in to the sensor than what the full frame cropped did, and that makes a world of difference in things like action sports and birding.

If the new high MP R hits 14 fps when cropped, has great tracking, faster viewfinder and a joystick or something close to it -- then we might have found a (much more expensive) 7dIII replacement. Birders are always spending ridiculous amounts for the ultra long glass, so why let them cheap out on pro features with an aps-c camera when they can obviously afford something twice as much, with the bonus of letting them get wider less action filled shots full frame.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's true that it's always a 100-400, but on a canon aps c thats effectively 160-640. Now if the high resolution R mount camera has the same resolution as the current top of the line aps-c sensor when cropped, then yes, it's the same as a aps-c camera. In the past that has not been the case. The canon (7d-2's, 80d etc) and equivalent Sony aps-c sensors had more pixels packed in to the sensor than what the full frame cropped did, and that makes a world of difference in things like action sports and birding.

If the new high MP R hits 14 fps when cropped, has great tracking, faster viewfinder and a joystick or something close to it -- then we might have found a (much more expensive) 7dIII replacement. Birders are always spending ridiculous amounts for the ultra long glass, so why let them cheap out on pro features with an aps-c camera when they can obviously afford something twice as much, with the bonus of letting them get wider less action filled shots full frame.
So, are you saying that a 100-400mm II on a 7DII has an effective reach of 160-640mm but on the FF 5DS only 100-400mm because it is full frame? The lens has effectively the same reach on both. The crucial factor in the reach of a lens on a body is the size of the pixels on the sensor and not whether it is FF, APS-C or M4/3. It’s important to understand this. The 90D, for example, has smaller pixels than an Olympus OMD-M1 Mk II and so outresolves the Olympus despite its 2x crop factor and Olympus claiming its 300mm lens is equivalent to a 600mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Yes, you splitting hairs. The field of view is equivalent to a 320-900mm on a relatively cheap A6XXX body.
Could have mentioned the A74 but that's a $3000+ body.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, you splitting hairs. The field of view is equivalent to a 320-900mm on a relatively cheap A6XXX body.
Could have mentioned the A74 but that's a $3000+ body.
I am not splitting hairs, just exploding the myth about the extra reach of APS-C and M4/3 when you don’t take into account pixel density. You have now changed tack by talking about field of view, which is not what you meant in your previous posts. The narrower field of view is in fact a disadvantage, not an advantage, when you are doing bird and nature still photography - it’s more difficult to find your subject and when it gets closer it can overfill the frame. Video is a different matter of course. Canon changed the game when it brought in the 5DS several years ago and there is now the new world of high density FF sensors. And Nikon did it’s bit earlier with the 800+ series and now Sony.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
The 70-400 or 100-400 is 100% will come sooner or later. It's an essential lens, almost like a 70-200.
What they need is a cheaper kit lens for RP and lower cost bodies. And a competition for Sony 200-600.
For a wildlife photographer, the 70-400 combines with the mid rang zoom to deliver two lenses that covers our 28-400 needs. Is the 70-300 an alternative that hints a 300-500 or 600 is on the roadmap? Canon has been delivering some slightly different ranges in RF mount. Just day dreaming.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This goofy complaint is way past its expiration point. Time to toss it out and find something new to whine about.
Impossible for him. Some comedians think changing their “nick” will keep their “shtick “ relevant. This is one who’s done so a dozen times and still has not figured out his routine falls flat no matter what he calls himself (proutprout, mirage, AvTvM, etc).

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Impossible for him. Some comedians think changing their “nick” will keep their “shtick “ relevant. This is one who’s done so a dozen times and still has not figured out his routine falls flat no matter what he calls himself (proutprout, mirage, AvTvM, etc).
I think proutprout is a separate entity. AvTvM clones appear to be smarter.

Upvote 0
So, are you saying that a 100-400mm II on a 7DII has an effective reach of 160-640mm but on the FF 5DS only 100-400mm because it is full frame? The lens has effectively the same reach on both. The crucial factor in the reach of a lens on a body is the size of the pixels on the sensor and not whether it is FF, APS-C or M4/3. It’s important to understand this. The 90D, for example, has smaller pixels than an Olympus OMD-M1 Mk II and so outresolves the Olympus despite its 2x crop factor and Olympus claiming its 300mm lens is equivalent to a 600mm.
Did you even read what you quoted???

I said: Now if the high resolution R mount camera has the same resolution as the current top of the line aps-c sensor when cropped, then yes, it's the same as a aps-c camera.

If the new camera has a cropped sport mode with faster tracking, faster fps and is weather sealed to at least the 7dmii standards then as i said yes, here's the aps-c 7dmii replacement in a now 2000 dollar more MSRP body (speculating it will be somewhere around 3800). Those who use that camera who are not professionals and who are not birders find that price increase to be a little steep.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I said: Now if the high resolution R mount camera has the same resolution as the current top of the line aps-c sensor when cropped, then yes, it's the same as a aps-c camera.

If the new camera has a cropped sport mode with faster tracking, faster fps and is weather sealed to at least the 7dmii standards then as i said yes, here's the aps-c 7dmii replacement in a now 2000 dollar more MSRP body (speculating it will be somewhere around 3800). Those who use that camera who are not professionals and who are not birders find that price increase to be a little steep.
Of course I did. Your very first line in what I quoted was a clearcut blanket statement:
It's true that it's always a 100-400, but on a canon aps c thats effectively 160-640. .
and that is what I am categorically disputing.

Upvote 0

consider though, if you put a 100-400mm lens on an 83mp full frame you have an effective zoom from 100mm to 750mm (24MP crop) with everything below 465mm greater than 24mp

you can't do that on an 32.5mp aps-c camera (160-750mm equiv zoom) but limited to 32.5mp. I get most of the times you are reach starved, but there's lots of instances, where the zoom and additional over sampling could be handy as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0