Patent: DPAF Curved Image Sensor

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
A patent showing a curved sensor equipped with DPAF has appeared, like the stacked sensor patents, curved sensors appear to be getting closer to being brought to a product.</p>
<p><strong><a href="https://www.canonnews.com/canon-patent-application-dual-pixel-curved-sensor">Canon News</a> interprets Japan Patent Application 2018-014657:</strong></p>

<blockquote><p>The sensor uses a piezoelectric device to drive the shape change of the curved sensor and has strain gauges (219) to measure the amount of curvature applied.  This sensor would automatically change it’s curve shape depending on the characteristics of the lens and also dependant upon the area of focus detection.</p></blockquote>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
zim said:
No idea what the tolerances this has to work too but I just don't get how the geometry of directly deflecting a rectangle as the sketch shows works. If the sensor was mounted on a circular plate and that was deflected I'd get it.

It does not appear to work in any direction but the length of the sensor, so it looks somewhat like a curved TV screen and is not a dish shape.

I'm also wondering about improving focus in the vertical axis and its hard for me to visualize why they ignore that.

The patent seems more about inventing a method for deflecting the sensor than it is about a practical application that we would want to use.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
exquisitor said:
I don't think we will see a product with this technology anytime soon. Current sensor technology is not suitable for such a flexibility. Organic sensor probably would, but this is still not in the near future.

There are plenty of patents and inventions to produce flexible sensors. Why do you think they are not practical? Just because no one produces flexible sensors for rigid applications does not mean they are not possible.

Canon recently has a flexible sensor patent published.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
A curved sensor of this nature would be perfect for a new mount FF mirrorless lens.

The sensor is flat when using old adapted lenses, and curved when using newer lenses designed for the mount.

Of course it can go further than this, with microadjustment of the curvature for every lens fitted

Upvote 0