Patent: EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

Status
Not open for further replies.
brad-man said:
I was under the impression that the new 100-400 was to have a max ap @ 4, not 4.5. I know this is picking nits, but with such an increase in price, I want all I can get. Obviously IQ will be the ultimate determining factor (other than price) on whether I upgrade or keep my current beloved copy.
Even if it has a max f/4 @ 100mm, it'll still be f/5.6 in the range where most of us use it most of the time!

Upvote 0
tron said:
neuroanatomist said:
Act444 said:
With a FF kit, this would be a tempting upgrade path from the 70-300L to get a bit more reach...

I'd say that will depend on the physical specs of the new 100-400L. While I'd appreciate a step up in IQ and IS, I find that the current 100-400L delivers excellent images. But I'm still considering (and will likely purchase soon) the 70-300L as a travel lens.

Regarding 70-300 I will be interested in your opinion when/if you get it. I already have two 70-200 lenses (70-200 2.8L IS II and 70-200 4L IS) I intend to keep. A third one in the same more or less focal range would be too much.The f/4 is an excellent travel lens. Light and sharp. In addition I do not like the reverse use of zooming and focusing rings in 70-300 ...

On the positive side I would not have to bring my 300 4L and there are bags that you can put the 70-300 lens vertically - but not the 70-200 f4 - and save a lot of space!!!

Choices...

I'm guessing that if you were to get the 70-300L, then the 70-200 f/4 IS would be the odd lens out. The 70-300L really does offer very good IQ in a light and compact package. I can use my smallest camera bag (Velocity 7) and barely shove the 70-300L mounted to the camera and another lens on the side. You'd lose a fraction of a stop to the f/4, but if you needed shallower DOF or more light-gathering ability, you'd be using the 70-200L II anyway.

If the 100-400 is as good as Canon's recent new offerings, then it should be markedly better than the 70-200L II + 2x III. Hopefully, it'll take extenders well and give us good IQ at 560mm, which is about as far as we can get with a mobile hand-holdable system. I'm also guessing that it'll weigh slightly more than the current lens' weight (more elements) and nearly weigh 4 lb (with hood and collar) and close to the current lens' length of 8 and 11 (extended) inches. If it is, then there is still a place for the 70-300L. The 70-300L will never be as popular as the 70-200 (ultimate short telephoto) or 100-400 (ultimate mobile reach) but it is an excellent travel lens. If the 100-400 II is as good as the 24-70 II and the 70-200 II, then I'll probably end up with that one down the road too (currently 70-200 II and 70-300L). Now, if the 100-400 II weighs less than 3 lb and is closer to 6 inches in length, then it'll make the 70-300L expendable.

Upvote 0
WHO are you referring to? Was afraid i was going to have to reincarnate also. Just a 10 day ban, mostly deserved IMO. Or is it to WHOm are you referring?
crasher8 said:
neuroanatomist said:
crasher8 said:
There's always a smarta$$

Watch it, crasher7 crasher8 crasher9. ;)
All this talk of Mods made me listen to Quadrophenia

Upvote 0
Looking forward to the 100-400 and will have an hard time beating the already good 100-400 in terms of value for money and image quality for the $$/££. Expect that the USM will be top notch and new improved, improved 4 Stop IS at least and possibly trump card over Nikon "New Cannon Hybrid IS system compensates for both angle camera shake and shift camera shake". Should be improved Optics with modern glass elements and construction; hopefully price will be nearer to the Sony MK 2 version of 70-400 lens around £1600 / $1900 rather than Nikon's price of £2500 / $2900.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Random Orbits said:
If the 100-400 is as good as Canon's recent new offerings, then it should be markedly better than the 70-200L II + 2x III. Hopefully, it'll take extenders well and give us good IQ at 560mm, which is about as far as we can get with a mobile hand-holdable system.

Hopefully, it'll take them at all. Lots of people are clamoring for a rotating zoom like the 70-300L. What if that plus a compact design means the lens loses extender compatibility?? Why would they do that? Consider...all along the 'barrier' was 400/420mm. If you wanted longer and still wanted AF, you shelled out the big bucks for a 1-series body or a supertele. So now that they've put f/8 AF in a 5-series, perhaps they'll take away a 'cheap' 560mm f/8 IS option with good IQ. Not really trying to be the voice of doom, here, but we all know that Canon giveth and Canon taketh away (AFMA on the 60D, anyone?).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Random Orbits said:
If the 100-400 is as good as Canon's recent new offerings, then it should be markedly better than the 70-200L II + 2x III. Hopefully, it'll take extenders well and give us good IQ at 560mm, which is about as far as we can get with a mobile hand-holdable system.

Hopefully, it'll take them at all. Lots of people are clamoring for a rotating zoom like the 70-300L. What if that plus a compact design means the lens loses extender compatibility?? Why would they do that? Consider...all along the 'barrier' was 400/420mm. If you wanted longer and still wanted AF, you shelled out the big bucks for a 1-series body or a supertele. So now that they've put f/8 AF in a 5-series, perhaps they'll take away a 'cheap' 560mm f/8 IS option with good IQ. Not really trying to be the voice of doom, here, but we all know that Canon giveth and Canon taketh away (AFMA on the 60D, anyone?).

Perhaps... that's the nice thing about being the consumer and in charge of the money... it's our choice. If the IQ is outstanding and it doesn't take TCs, then it'll be a harder trade. I currently use the 70-200 II + 2x, but I don't use it that often. However, I do use the 70-300L a lot at 300. I'd love to get a supertelephoto at some point, but I can't justify it now. It's not just about the cost, but mobility with having the larger lens and the support system. Maybe if the kids get more serious about sports once they get older then I'll be able to convince the wife. Look hon, I've got the camera, tripod, gimbal head, etc... all I need is the lens! Plus the supertelephotos are kinda hard to hide. They stick out like a sore thumb like those conifer cell towers towering 30-60 feet above the treeline. At least the 100-400 is expected to be "blendable" with the 70-200 and 70-300 surrounded by smaller black tubes. ;D

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Random Orbits said:
But presumably it would still work with 3rd-party extenders?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
You know I am thinking of a 400mm f/5.6L that I will combine with a 1.4X II (or even 2XII) for sunsets, sunrises, ducks, etc.

But my sunrise/sunset lens is a 300mm f/4L (non-IS) with the above mentioned teleconverters.

Also my "duck" lens (yes I have given it this nickname!) is a 100-400L.

So it would be too much. (The reason for fixed 400 is IQ wise I do not wish to use the 2X).

A new 400 (either as a fixed lens or as a 100-400 zoom) would be the best for me (and I guess thousands more...)

Upvote 0
Act444 said:
With a FF kit, this would be a tempting upgrade path from the 70-300L to get a bit more reach...but at that price point it might just make more sense to grab a 70D (when it comes out) and use the 70-300 with it when I need maximum reach (I consider it an outdoor lens anyway - I don't use it inside where FF quality makes the biggest difference)...figures.

Good point. The 100-400 doesn't really replace the 70-300L either since it is so much larger and heaver and doesn't hit 70mm which is very handy on FF. So getting a 100-400L and/or a 70-300L for your FF you add a 7D2 or a 70D instead. Of course even 400mm is short even with 18MP APS-C for lots of things....

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Interesting about 70-300. The current 70-300 is a great lens; light weight and reasonable sharp. Wonder what the Canon-gods have in store for us.

This is all due to the same reason: The future high mp ff bodies need sharper lenses, and these will be more costly to produce plus Canon will take a hefty premium.

The current 70-300L/100-400L might be the last sub-€2000 telezooms we have seen, so in the future dslr tele photography might be well out of reach of the average joe.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.