Patent: EF 85mm f/1.2L III and Others

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/03/patent-ef-85mm-f1-2l-iii-and-others/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/03/patent-ef-85mm-f1-2l-iii-and-others/">Tweet</a></div>
<p>A patent showing new 85mm & 50mm designs has surfaced. Both an 85mm f/1.2 and an 85mm f/1.8 appear as well as a 50mm f/1.4 and a 100mm f/2.</p>
<p>An updated 85mm f/1.2L II has been mentioned as being under development for quite some time, and we’re all expecting a new 50mm lens, which is an oft rumored product.</p>
<p><strong>Patent Publication No. 2014-52412 </strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Publication date 2014.3.20</li>
<li>Filing date 2012.9.5</li>
</ul>
<table summary="embodiment" frame="box" rules="all">
<thead>
<tr>
<th><span>Example</span></th>
<th><span>Focal length</span></th>
<th><span>Fno.</span></th>
<th><span>Length</span></th>
<th><span>BF</span></th>
</tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td><span>One</span></td>
<td><span>85.00</span></td>
<td><span>1.24</span></td>
<td><span>125.55</span></td>
<td><span>38.98</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><span>Two</span></td>
<td><span>85.00</span></td>
<td><span>1.80</span></td>
<td><span>113.57</span></td>
<td><span>39.50</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><span>Three</span></td>
<td><span>51.70</span></td>
<td><span>1.41</span></td>
<td><span>88.04</span></td>
<td><span>39.00</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><span>Four</span></td>
<td><span>100.00</span></td>
<td><span>2.00</span></td>
<td><span>120.00</span></td>
<td><span>39.60</span></td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
<p><span>

Image height = 21.64mm</span></p>
<p>Source: [<a href="http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2014-03-31" target="_blank">EG</a>]</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

The 85IIL is bitingly sharp wide open, although the AF is slow it's still very accurate. But I'm not sure I'd be selling my mkII for a mkIII. There's not much to update here, especially if my existing copy is so good. My copy is sharper than my 135L wide open. It's THAT good!

A new 50mm f1.2 II L, well there's not much more to say to that than "bring it on" and lets hope it's better than the last one. The Zeiss Otus and new Siggi are the new benchmarks, where as most of the 50mm lenses from Canon have been sub optimal in the last 20 years. It's been a game of which drawbacks is a photographer prepared to put up with as opposed to which features are most useful.

The other two lenses? Well, not really my bag.

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
The 85IIL is bitingly sharp wide open, although the AF is slow it's still very accurate. But I'm not sure I'd be selling my mkII for a mkIII. There's not much to update here, especially if my existing copy is so good. My copy is sharper than my 135L wide open. It's THAT good!

A new 50mm f1.2 II L, well there's not much more to say to that than "bring it on" and lets hope it's better than the last one. The Zeiss Otus and new Siggi are the new benchmarks, where as most of the 50mm lenses from Canon have been sub optimal in the last 20 years. It's been a game of which drawbacks is a photographer prepared to put up with as opposed to which features are most useful.

The other two lenses? Well, not really my bag.

Looks like 50mm 1.4 ... hope they add IS ... for video

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
I could go for the 50 1.4 and the 85 1.8 if they have IS. The big issue is that they are probably 2 to 3 years out for me....

... first they have to get announced (months or years from now), many months later they may be available at a very high premium, and then 12 to 18 months until the price becomes reasonable.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have been eyeing the current 85mm 1.8 for a while, but every time I consider ordering one I hesitate knowing in the back of my mind that an updated version with IS is coming. These patents keep popping up, but seriously how long does it take? The 50mm 1.4 replacement in particular has been rumored for a few years now.

I would love a new 85mm with IS, but $500 is about the most I can pay for it. The 24 28 and 35 IS all started pretty high but dropped to around $500, so that's what I'm hoping the new 50 85 and 100 IS will cost (if not from the start, then a few months to a year later).

I know the current 85mm 1.8 is still a nice lens, but I'd really rather not deal with buying and reselling, and if I wait for the new one to at least be announced and I can't afford it, the current 1.8 might go down in price since it will be the "old" model and more people will be selling to upgrade.

Upvote 0
If there's one prime 'bokeh beast' I'd love to have in my bag, it would be the 85mm f/1.2 mkiii!!!

A fellow club member who photographs for magazines has one and I think it's an incredible lens, aside from the lethargic AF.

Would I want a 50mm? I'm not sure anymore. It used to be a future endeavor for me but my 24-70 is pretty awesome at 50mm...

But yeah, I think it's time we see some of these rumours manifest in plastic, metal and glass!!!

Upvote 0

BLFPhoto

Canon EOS user since '91...
BL said:
I love, love, love my 85II for all reasons stated above, but seriously, this lens has really bad LOCA that's difficult to fix in post.

If they found a way to reduce the green/magenta bokeh CA, I would upgrade in a heartbeat (assuming that's even possible on 1.2 lenses)

It is correctable to some degree through use of APO lens designs. As always, though, there are varying degrees of effectivity even among respective APO designs, and if we REALLY demand the goods...we're probably in Leica territory for price.

The third party makers (Sigma!) often designate APO on lenses, but while the design may be APO, their particular realization of the design usually leaves much to be desired. This can be due to any number of design constraints.

Canon's L-series Flourite coatings are part of their APO equations where used. However, to the best of my knowledge, the 85mm f/1.2L is not an APO design. Maybe someone has more or better information than I have, though.

Leica made a 90mm APO lens that will show you what REAL APO can achieve in shorter lenses in the portrait range. It sold for almost $4k, though. How badly do you want rid of that LOCA on the Canon 85? I'm pretty ok with mine! ;-)

Upvote 0
BLFPhoto said:
BL said:
I love, love, love my 85II for all reasons stated above, but seriously, this lens has really bad LOCA that's difficult to fix in post.

If they found a way to reduce the green/magenta bokeh CA, I would upgrade in a heartbeat (assuming that's even possible on 1.2 lenses)

It is correctable to some degree through use of APO lens designs. As always, though, there are varying degrees of effectivity even among respective APO designs, and if we REALLY demand the goods...we're probably in Leica territory for price.

The third party makers (Sigma!) often designate APO on lenses, but while the design may be APO, their particular realization of the design usually leaves much to be desired. This can be due to any number of design constraints.

Canon's L-series Flourite coatings are part of their APO equations where used. However, to the best of my knowledge, the 85mm f/1.2L is not an APO design. Maybe someone has more or better information than I have, though.

Leica made a 90mm APO lens that will show you what REAL APO can achieve in shorter lenses in the portrait range. It sold for almost $4k, though. How badly do you want rid of that LOCA on the Canon 85? I'm pretty ok with mine! ;-)

The 85IIL is an expensive lens to design, engineer and build. It uses some pretty high grade design components not seen in other lenses...like automotive grade ball bearings to shunt the internal glass about smotthly and reliably. Canon can easily match zeiss optics if the wanted to and the lens priced wouldn't be anywhere near the level of the Zeiss glass. Canon sells a lot more lenses than Zeiss, so it's R&D can be spread over a larger number of production units and Zeiss ever could. Canon also will need to add a top tier AF system to their lenses...and sometimes this is a logistical problem...which is why the 85IIL uses a purely electronic AF system with no mechanical linkage. Full time Manual focusing is achieved using the AF motor because some of the glass elements which need to be precisely moved have a lot of mass. A mechanical link just isn't possible with this optical formula.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
The 85L ii is not "new", it's at least 6 years old now, I believe. I know it wasn't brand new when I rented it 4 years ago.

I have to take issue with it being sharp wide open. It's not remotely as sharp at f/1.2, as for example the 135L is at its wide open f/2 (not even in the center...and at the borders the 85L is pretty soft, and suffers from coma). Also, the 85L has a fairly high vignette anywhere near wide open aperture.

For anyone using it on a 1DX, I could better understand why they think it's extremely sharp wide open. Your pixels are fairly large on that camera. If your subjects are all in the center and the rest is defocused, you would never see the lens' faults at or close to wide open aperture.

I don't see anyone calling for weather sealing in a new version...seems like that would be good. Faster autofocus, would likely require a radically different design, would it not? I suppose a version 3 would need to autofocus faster, though. Just not sure how fast it could be.

As for IS...it would be nice, but IS isn't all that necessary at this focal length and aperture, unless you do a lot of landscape shots hand-held...or at least it seems so to me. If you're shooting portraits without strobes in available light...those people are still moving, even if only breathing. You still ideally need 1/160 if they are standing or sitting very still, or else even more shutter speed if you want to stop motion. Panning with IS and such a wide aperture, would be very interesting though, I have to admit. But like for "street photography", IS isn't all that necessary. It would also add weight to an already heavy "canon-ball" lens...

If I could afford (and justify owning) it I would buy the current version and be happy, though. Perhaps other lenses will come along that can really give it a run for its money optically, and be able to autofocus faster and as accurately (or more so). Not sure the Sigma 85 is up to the task from what I've read. As for the f/1.8 Canon...well, it's an f/1.8...but seems like an extreme bargain. But it is a much older still design.

Upvote 0