Patent: EF-S 30mm f/1.8 & EF 50mm f/1.8

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
A Canon patent was found over at <a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-ef-lenses-rumours-and-news/">Northlight Images</a> for a 50mm/1.8, which was replaced relatively recently, and a APS-C 30mm/1.8 lens has appeared at the Japanese patent office (No. 2017-102352 )</p>
<p><strong>Full frame lens specifications:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Focal length 51.60mm</li>
<li>F number 1.85</li>
<li>Field angle 22.75</li>
<li>Image Height 21.64mm</li>
<li>Lens total length 84.19mm</li>
<li>BF 39.08mm</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>APS-C lens specifications:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Focal length 30.90mm</li>
<li>F number 1.85</li>
<li>Field angle 23.85mm</li>
<li>Image height 13.66mm</li>
<li>Lens total length 84.50mm</li>
<li>BF 35.50mm</li>
</ul>
<p>There has always been rumbings about a “good” EF-S prime coming and 30mm has been passed around over the years, however nothing has every come of it.</p>
<p>The EF-S 35mm f/2.8 IS STM Macro hasn’t started shipping yet, while a very neat looking lens, it’s not exactly the “fast” prime people have been looking for from Canon for APS-C shooters.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-ef-lenses-rumours-and-news/">Northlight Images</a> does say that they’ve been told to expect a “good” EF-S prime in the future.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
LonelyBoy said:
I'm sure they're just adding it to the patent portfolio as a "just in case", but I can't help wondering if the world really need another 50/1.8 formula.

I am not knowledgeable about lens designs, but looking at the diagram for the new 50mm f/1.8 it looks like a cross between the 50mm f/2.5 Macro and the 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4:
http://www.eflens.com/ef-lenses/ef_50_f_18.html
http://www.eflens.com/ef-lenses/ef_50_f_25_compact_macro.html
http://www.eflens.com/ef-lenses/ef_50_f1.4_usm.html

The 50mm f/2.5 Macro is just about the oldest lens in the catalog, and I can't think of a better way to make it sell again than expanding the aperture a stop.

Lens designs have to move on, so on that basis alone I could argue that Canon has many lenses in its extensive catalog that could be up for replacement. If this is a close focusing, sharp replacement to the ancient macro lens and doubles as an excellent general normal lens, sign me up for one!

Upvote 0
ecka said:
Why EF-S? WHY?!
:( ??? :-\ :-[ :'(

Is the availability of fast EF primes not to your liking? You wouldn't just be happy with the 35/2 IS or the 28/1.8 or the 28/2.8 IS or any of the third-party options? Crop shooters, on the other hand, have very few crop-specific prime options, and no fast ones other than the apparently-mediocre 30Art.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
I use the 28/1.8, it's not bad, I like it, the bokeh is very nice (unusual for a wide lens), but wide open it feels very outdated and it doesn't work that well (rather poorly) for landscapes. The 35/2IS is not it and the 28/2.8IS is a joke.
Finally, if you really love fast primes, then you better go FF in the first place. This EF-S 30/1.8 will only get you close to 50/2.8 on FF and not even a good one. I think that 50/1.8STM on FF at F2.8 will put it to shame for around half or 1/3 of the price.
On the other hand, if it was an EF 30/1.8, then maybe I could replace my old 28/1.8 with it. Which is why I'm 'facepalming'.
What makes you think that it will be better than the 30/1.4Art? It's not F1.4, so it already lost in aperture department. Sigma comes with a lens hood, one more point to Sigma. And it's a nice sturdy hood, unlike the rattling trembling Canon fashion. We'll see ... ;)

Upvote 0
Camerajah said:
You guys could be on to something in that the new 50 could be a macro lens or new redesign,notice its longer than the EF 100mm F2
What it calls the "total length of the lens" actually includes the entire path traveled by the light until it reaches the image sensor inside the camera. Thus, the lens itself, would be about 4.5 cm long.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
ecka said:
I use the 28/1.8, it's not bad, I like it, the bokeh is very nice (unusual for a wide lens), but wide open it feels very outdated and it doesn't work that well (rather poorly) for landscapes. The 35/2IS is not it and the 28/2.8IS is a joke.
Finally, if you really love fast primes, then you better go FF in the first place. This EF-S 30/1.8 will only get you close to 50/2.8 on FF and not even a good one. I think that 50/1.8STM on FF at F2.8 will put it to shame for around half or 1/3 of the price.
On the other hand, if it was an EF 30/1.8, then maybe I could replace my old 28/1.8 with it. Which is why I'm 'facepalming'.
What makes you think that it will be better than the 30/1.4Art? It's not F1.4, so it already lost in aperture department. Sigma comes with a lens hood, one more point to Sigma. And it's a nice sturdy hood, unlike the rattling trembling Canon fashion. We'll see ... ;)

And the 28/2.8IS is a joke because... ?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
DOOMED! DOOMED! Canon is doomed!

Since the vast bulk of their sales are crop cameras, offering a pair of primes specifically for those crop cameras is obviously an act of desperation..... and when they sell well, that will be further proof that they are doomed!

Seriously though, I bet if they make the 30F1.8, that it will be a good seller....

Upvote 0
ecka said:

I have no idea if it will be better than the Sigma. I actually rarely use my cropper, and when I do it's usually for the flexibility of the 18-135STM. My question was about why you seemed so hurt that the new lens would be EF-S, because that focal length (especially give or take a few mm) seems very well-covered by existing offerings.

And I just bought the 24-70/2.8ii and 70-200/2.8ISii, so I'm not getting ANY new lenses for a while...

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
LonelyBoy said:
ecka said:

I have no idea if it will be better than the Sigma. I actually rarely use my cropper, and when I do it's usually for the flexibility of the 18-135STM. My question was about why you seemed so hurt that the new lens would be EF-S, because that focal length (especially give or take a few mm) seems very well-covered by existing offerings.

And I just bought the 24-70/2.8ii and 70-200/2.8ISii, so I'm not getting ANY new lenses for a while...

I'm not hurt :). Just saying (a bit sarcastically) that it would make much more sense (and profit) if it was an EF lens. All that Canon's self-competing phobia is silly. I think that crop shooters, who wanted their "fast" 50(ish) equivalent, already got the EF35/2IS or one of Sigma's offerings (30/1.4, 35/1.4, 18-35/1.8 ).

BillB said:

Isn't the price doubling of an old and slow prime after adding IS, a joke? Thank god the 35 IS is not F2.8 :). Same thing with 24/2.8IS.
I don't know ... maybe I'm wrong. What are you shooting with your 28/2.8IS? What's the best use for it? Shooting video on EOS-1D C?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Quote from: BillB on June 10, 2017, 07:46:09 PM

Isn't the price doubling of an old and slow prime after adding IS, a joke? Thank god the 35 IS is not F2.8 :). Same thing with 24/2.8IS.
I don't know ... maybe I'm wrong. What are you shooting with your 28/2.8IS? What's the best use for it? Shooting video on EOS-1D

28mm2.8IS has a new lens formula with an aspheric element and USM as well as IS. Greatly improved resolution over previous 28 is well documented. Not the same lens as the one it replaced. I use a 28 where others might use a 35, with a bit more width. You use the 28 1.8. I use the 2.8 IS. No joke.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
ecka said:
I'm not hurt :). Just saying (a bit sarcastically) that it would make much more sense (and profit) if it was an EF lens. All that Canon's self-competing phobia is silly. I think that crop shooters, who wanted their "fast" 50(ish) equivalent, already got the EF35/2IS or one of Sigma's offerings (30/1.4, 35/1.4, 18-35/1.8 ).

The point of an EF-S 30mm is to take advantage of the smaller image circle resulting in a smaller cheaper lens. But I agree that the venerable 28mm/1.8 could use a replacement.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Sharlin said:
ecka said:

The point of an EF-S 30mm is to take advantage of the smaller image circle resulting in a smaller cheaper lens. But I agree that the venerable 28mm/1.8 could use a replacement.

I think that to have a chance of success, any EF-S 30mm F1.8 would need to be smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 35 f2.0. Canon does seem to be competing pretty aggressively in the APS-C space these days. Is there any chance the 30mm patent could be applied to an EF-M lens design?

In addition to having a smaller image circle, an EF-S lens may not have enough clearance for the swing of a FF mirror. That is likely why a FF Canon camera will not accept an EF-S lens.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
BillB said:
In addition to having a smaller image circle, an EF-S lens may not have enough clearance for the swing of a FF mirror. That is likely why a FF Canon camera will not accept an EF-S lens.

Yes, good point. A 30mm has to be retrofocal in both EF and EF-S but the shorter clearance of EF-S probably helps with the lens design anyway.

Upvote 0