Patent: Eye-controlled autofocus for mirrorless cameras

Jun 29, 2016
Well, I see a serious problem with this, you need to continue looking at the object you are focusing on, and while there is a small lag between the iamge on teh EVF and the actual image, there might be cases where you think you focus on the subject, but actually, then the image is taken, it focus on something else. That is why many wild life and sport photographers prefere the manual focus, they know it won't "change" in the critical moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon might do that. But, why would it?

At this moment, you added FUD to this discussion. We do not know what Canon will do. Nor do we have enough information about the tech to guess at what cameras would work with this technology.
Everything is a guess at this point, so I don't see any problem with Neuro's probably educated guess. His statement makes perfect sense to me, but we'll see.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Everything is a guess at this point, so I don't see any problem with Neuro's probably educated guess. His statement makes perfect sense to me, but we'll see.

Why tell someone that a wished for feature will not appear in a camera they want without relying upon evidence showing what the camera maker will do, will likely do, etc. It's one thing to speculate with like-minded individuals, it's another to spread FUD to people with a wish. My past exchanges wit him motivates me to refuse to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Why tell someone that a wished for feature will not appear in a camera they want without relying upon evidence showing what the camera maker will do, will likely do, etc. It's one thing to speculate with like-minded individuals, it's another to spread FUD to people with a wish. My past exchanges wit him motivates me to refuse to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Neuro was pretty clear that he was guessing, and it seems a stretch to me to label a guess as FUD.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Because he ususally knows what he's talking about and because his guess as good as your FUD assumptions. They make pills for those cramps. You shouild take one. Then maybe you'll feel more civil and not so... edgy.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Because he ususally knows what he's talking about and because his guess as good as your FUD assumptions. They make pills for those cramps. You shouild take one. Then maybe you'll feel more civil and not so... edgy.

His guess is FUD. If he has made speculative claims with others of like mind, then so be it. But he didn't. I do not have cramps. And I'm civil to a fault. You do not see things that way? Well, que sera....

Upvote 0
Can't wait to see if this makes it to production. It will be fun to compare it to my Elan 7e and give me a good reason to use the eye focus as I usually only use that camera for black and white landscapes these days. On a new mirrorless camera this could be a great way to select a subject to track without having to put a point on it and recompose.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Why tell someone that a wished for feature will not appear in a camera they want...
Try reading what I said again, more carefully. The words are all pretty small, so if you go slow and follow along with your finger, I bet you can manage to comprehend it. I’ll even highlight the relevant bit for you.
Canon may reserve it for FF MILCs.

As for the why, well...reality. Or in the words of me ol’ Irish Da, “Wish in one hand, shit in the other, and see which fills up first.”

And I'm civil to a fault. You do not see things that way?
The mods didn’t see it that way when they deleted some of your posts from a past exchange. Or maybe that was because you were being too civil? LOL.

If he was guessing, he should keep it to himself.
Unfortunately for you, you don’t get to decide what I post. If you don’t like it, you’re free to ignore it. Of course, I don’t get to decide what you post, which means you’re also free to respond in a way that makes you look petulant and foolish...which is exactly what you did.
Blahhh haa, ha

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Sorry you had problems, as an eye glass wearer, getting it to work. I, also wear glasses and never had a problem calibrating it while wearing my eyewear. Don't know the reason for our different experiences but I had two EOS 3 and one Elan 7e bodies and the feature worked in all three for me. If they offer eye control focus in a future Canon body, perhaps, as you say, it will be much improved in the newer version.
Maybe the system in my EOS 3 isn't working properly. Another reason could be that the coatings of the glasses I wear interfere too much with the infrared light that the system uses to detect the eye positions. I don't know, I just read some comments on the web of glass wearers having the same problems with the EOS 3. But this is not too bad for me, I miss much more a joystick for the AF point selection, the "dial interface" used by the EOS 3 is a bit quirky. In fact, I both love and hate the EOS 3. I love it for its super precise metering system (ideal for slide film), good AF system (impressive, given the time this camera hit the market), huge selection of different settings, but I hate its non-intuitive interface and the loud motor winder (a real street photography killer).

Upvote 0
I can see two groups of people here, pre-digital and post digital users. I can understand why people are sceptical about ECF if they have never used it before. It is an extremely useful feature which can help out a lot in getting the correct focus, especially when we are now spoilt with so many large aperture lenses where DoF is so shallow. If the new ECF is fast enough, it may even help out in the type of sports photography that I like. I do miss my EOS5 and EOS50e (Elan).

As for those who found that ECF didn't work well for them, I suspect if you have astigmatism correct on your spec/glasses, it may affect the detection of the IR beam path of the ECF, that was why it did not work for certain type of users.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Try reading what I said again, more carefully. The words are all pretty small, so if you go slow and follow along with your finger, I bet you can manage to comprehend it. I’ll even highlight the relevant bit for you.

As for the why, well...reality. Or in the words of me ol’ Irish Da, “Wish in one hand, shit in the other, and see which fills up first.”

The mods didn’t see it that way when they deleted some of your posts from a past exchange. Or maybe that was because you were being too civil? LOL.

Unfortunately for you, you don’t get to decide what I post. If you don’t like it, you’re free to ignore it. Of course, I don’t get to decide what you post, which means you’re also free to respond in a way that makes you look petulant and foolish...which is exactly what you did.

Ah, a member in good standing of the Internet Tough Guy and Borderline Sociopath Association drops by to provide us with more strawman arguments, which is to say, BS.

Upvote 0