Patent: Fingerprint ID on Your Cameras and Lenses

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
unfocused said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Fingerprint readers are a well developed technology and work in light and dark over a wide range of temperatures...

You must not own an iPhone.

HA! Exactly!

I cut my finger, it did not work......

does not work when my hands are dirty.....

does not work in dim light......

does not work when you get out of the bathtub....

I turned it off..... If Apple can't make it reliable, I doubt that Canon can.

BTW, profession equipment has to work EVERY time.... working most of the time jusat does not cut it, and working only some of the time is garbage.

Upvote 0
IglooEater said:
unfocused said:
It better work better than iPhone finger print ID.
I’ve had the 5s and 7, while the 5s fingerprint recognition was a bit fussy (first generation) I find the 7´s to be rock solid. It’s just works-it’s reliable, and super fast. Fast enough that if I just want to get to the camera from lock screen I need to wake it up with the power button or a different finger. With my thumb it turns on and unlocks all in an instant. I’ve not really had an issue to be able to say it needs improvement asides from being fussy with water like every other touch screen I’ve ever tried.

"60% of the time, it works every time"

But if my hands have been wet for more than a brief period (swimming, kayaking, washing the dishes) or have been doing anything that involves gripping something abrasive (gardening, woodworking, building, rock climbing), it doesn't work at all.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
unfocused said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Fingerprint readers are a well developed technology and work in light and dark over a wide range of temperatures...

You must not own an iPhone.

9VIII said:
I’m pretty sure that half the people making negative comments right now have said that they desperately wanted this feature in the past.

Why anyone (other than Roger) is looking at this negatively is completely beyond logic.

In theory I would like the feature, but having lived with the reality of this on my iPhone for several months I have no confidence in the technology. In order to use this feature, both my wife and I had to re-scan our fingerprints almost every time we used it. We've given up and now just use the code routinely.

The problem may be that this technology is designed by and tested on twenty-somethings. As you age, your fingerprints become less prominent and I suspect that may be a problem. In addition, if you live in a cold climate and develop any type of weather-related dry skin, it fubars the reader as well.

Some ideas sound great, but just don't work in practice. That is our experience with fingerprint technology.

My experience is quite different. I've had my iPhone 6 for over 3 years, recorded 4 fingerprints the day I got it, have never reprogrammed them, and can reliably unlock the phone with thumb or index finger of either hand. Sure, with wet hands or gloves, it fails. Duh. But otherwise, it just works. Even just now, with a little donut glaze on my thumb. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
AvTvM said:
waste of time, money, resources ... on Canon's part and on (most) buyer's part as well.

to add a "anti-theft, lock camera" feature would only require a single menu entry in firmware for a user code. Objective accomplished.

Lots of assumptions there. I seem to recall camera bodies being hardened as well. As far as R&D, its generally more wide ranging than production, and should be encouraged to be that way. Just limiting R&D to existing technology is a sure fire way to fail.

I don't expect to see hardening of conventional cameras in my future, but for surveillance and medical, it might be part of a system approach.

Upvote 0
The customization per-user seems intriguing to me. Often when on a trip I'm sharing the camera with my girlfriend and while I usually shoot in Manual with 1-point AF, she favours Av and face detection. It would be great if the camera automatically switched the profiles when each of use took the camera in hands.

Btw I'm having few to none problems with TouchID on my iPhone. Only once in a loong time it doesn't work so I clean it with a sleeve and it's good to go. And I've got the 1st gen sensor (iPhone SE)... :)

Upvote 0
dsut4392 said:
IglooEater said:
unfocused said:
I’ve had the 5s and 7, while the 5s fingerprint recognition was a bit fussy (first generation) I find the 7´s to be rock solid. It’s just works-it’s reliable, and super fast. Fast enough that if I just want to get to the camera from lock screen I need to wake it up with the power button or a different finger. With my thumb it turns on and unlocks all in an instant. I’ve not really had an issue to be able to say it needs improvement asides from being fussy with water like every other touch screen I’ve ever tried.

But if my hands have been wet for more than a brief period (swimming, kayaking, washing the dishes) or have been doing anything that involves gripping something abrasive (gardening, woodworking, building, rock climbing), it doesn't work at all.

When I say it’s fussy in water, i mean my phone is dripping because I’m in the pouring rain- not I was around water for a while .
I work in construction and my fingers are dusty, dirty, sweaty, cut, scraped, bruised, -20° cold, +40° hot, pitch black, and direct sunlight. fingerprint thingy works all the time. Just not in pouring rain. That’s probably less than 1% of the time I use my phone.

Upvote 0
IglooEater said:
dsut4392 said:
IglooEater said:
unfocused said:

When I say it’s fussy in water, i mean my phone is dripping because I’m in the pouring rain- not I was around water for a while .
I work in construction and my fingers are dusty, dirty, sweaty, cut, scraped, bruised, -20° cold, +40° hot, pitch black, and direct sunlight. fingerprint thingy works all the time. Just not in pouring rain. That’s probably less than 1% of the time I use my phone.

Wish I could say the same. Maybe I'll try registering a few additional prints, "sweaty thumb", "dusty thumb" and "prints all worn off climbing thumb":)

Upvote 0