Patent: Further breakdown of Canon’s upcoming IBIS technology

I don't -need- it, but recent experience makes it something I'd like to see

It adds IS to my non IS lenses as an option - that's my expensive TS-E ones mainly
It gives the possibility of multi-shot high res imaging (see my earlier post and link)
If it works with lens IS, then I get even better IS for times it really helps me

I was so-so on it until I had the Panasonic S1R here for the review.

Downsides are that it tends to be more sensitive and prone to mechanical failure than not having it.
I don't -need- it, but recent experience makes it something I'd like to see

It adds IS to my non IS lenses as an option - that's my expensive TS-E ones mainly
It gives the possibility of multi-shot high res imaging (see my earlier post and link)
If it works with lens IS, then I get even better IS for times it really helps me

I was so-so on it until I had the Panasonic S1R here for the review.

Downsides are that it tends to be more sensitive and prone to mechanical failure than not having it.
I can’t imagine using a tilt shift lens without a tripod, unless maybe for creative portraits/fashion, but then I’d probably still put it on a tripod.

Upvote 0
TS-E lenses work just as well hand held or on a tripod ;-)

You just need to practice rather more, but once you get the hang of it, being able to add a bit of shift gives extra flexibility (I don't actually use tilt very often - then mainly for technical purposes).

My 24/17 TS-E lenses are my walk round preferences for cities and landscape, both of which are times I'm unlikely to have a tripod with me

Upvote 0
"We expect to see Canon’s IBIS technology to arrive in the next major EOS R series camera. "

Let's hope so, and soon!!
Many posts here are redolent of the period when Canon first introduced IS. I recall one forum poster who declared they'd never accept "wobbly bits" in their lenses! Another who said Nikon would never go beyond their first VR lens (a 100-400 IIRC?), years after Canon had IS across their entire "super" tele line.
I actually dumped all my Nikon gear, including the 800mm f/5.6 in order to get the Canon 600/4 IS when it was introduced. To my purpose, no feature was more essential than IS. I still feel that way. What has changed is that Canon is no longer a leader. While my 600/4 is gone, I still have the 300/2.8 IS.
IBIS is where it's at for me. I have been teetering on getting into Sony because of their mirrorless/IBIS bodies. Not sure I can wait for Canon. They're awfully slow to catch up. So different from how it was 15 years ago. :( Make no mistake! People are hesitating to buy Canon bodies precisely because they lack IBIS!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0