Patent: Here is Canon’s IBIS unit

Jan 21, 2015
Having said all that most tests I've seen do seem to suggest that in lens IS is superior. Nikons F-mount 24-70 VR for example stabilises better than their new Z mount 24-70 relying on IBIS. Of course some are now combining the two and apparently that brings great benefits but we will have to see how it pans out.
It's not black and white. For fast primes for example IBIS is far superior for the simple reason that lens stabilization is often too difficult to make (and it is always a slight compromise in terms of IQ). Up to around 100-200mm I'd say the best IBIS systems are as good, or better given they have more degrees of freedom, as lens IS and after that lens stabilization is simply superior. That said I do not have extensive experience with FF cameras with IBIS so it could very well be the crossover point comes at a shorter focal length.

I was thinking in terms of the subjects. 400 mm primarily used for wildlife, birds and sports. I suppose for a large slow moving mammal at rest or a bird sitting in a tree you might be able to shoot at 1/50 of a second, but that's not generally my experience.
But not only. You can shoot landscapes with a 400mm if you want for example, those don't usually move much.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The whole idea of image stabilization is to allow you better hand held option (decrease hand help vibrations), I think I missed saying that in the begining :)
That's true. But I think what unfocused was referring to were your statements such as this:

instead of using speed 1/1000 which force you to the f:3.5 you now can do that same with.. lest see.. 1/1000 at f:11? at the same ISO?
It seems like you were saying that stabilization allows you to use a narrower aperture while keeping all other aspects of the image the same. But that is of course not the case, since stabilization has no effect on aperture, so in your example you would just gather less signal, and therefore get a darker picture with more noise.

Also you gave examples that might not benefit from stabilization. Animals and sports players tend to move a lot, therefore you have to keep to short shutter speeds anyway in order to avoid motion blur caused by the subjects movement.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
Personally, I don't really need it. If the IBIS only adds $100 or $200, sure, I'll take it. If it adds $400 or more, maybe offer two models, one with and one without.

And there's the rub, I don't think Canon will release a version without IBIS of the same camera. Maybe a version with a different AA filter like they did with the 5Ds, but not an IBIS-less version.
In that scenario, how do you estimate how much the IBIS adds? The 5DsR was €3700 on launch here. Will the Rs follow the R pattern of "Similar DSLR minus €700" or the RF lens pattern of "Inflation corrected price of predecessor, maybe a bit more"?

Upvote 0
It's a misconception that IBIS doesn't help when you shoot moving subjects. Hand shake just adds to the motion blur from moving subjects and increases the minimal acceptable shutter speed. If you're way above this limit, IBIS doesn't matter, but the slower your exposure gets, the more IBIS helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My main question would be cost. I am breaking my neck to afford this system. IBIS would make me even more interested, but glass first.

Of course, the presence or absence of IBIS might affect which lenses you pick. I found the version 1 24-105L (which has IS but rated to fewer stops than the newer iterations) definitely less reliable on the 5Ds than lenses with 4+ stop IS (pixel peeping). An IBIS camera might allow one to keep older lenses with less good IS (or none at all) for longer, rather than having to upgrade. A niche issue, but possibly relevant to some.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
It's easier to run with just a camera than camera + tripod
On the flip side, tripod could be a good defense weapon... Hmmm... Decisions decisions
i wonder why its ok go around with aluminium monopod and camera but not ok go around with baseball bat :p
btw anyone selling bayonets with camera screw so could have bear spear too :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
That's true. But I think what unfocused was referring to were your statements such as this:

It seems like you were saying that stabilization allows you to use a narrower aperture while keeping all other aspects of the image the same. But that is of course not the case, since stabilization has no effect on aperture, so in your example you would just gather less signal, and therefore get a darker picture with more noise.

Also you gave examples that might not benefit from stabilization. Animals and sports players tend to move a lot, therefore you have to keep to short shutter speeds anyway in order to avoid motion blur caused by the subjects movement.
Oh.. now I see, I mean to write 1/100 not 1/1000 for we all know that the sensor needs to get the same amount of light in the end, the image stabilizer allows the use of slower shutter speeds wihtout the need to set to higher ISO (and by that get less noise into the iamge).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Look at it another way: instead of thinking, what new shots can I get with this that I couldn't before, consider it a means of making the current shots easier/more reliable. Like autofocus does - it's not that getting a shot in focus wasn't possible before, it's just much easier now. I take bursts of shots to account for various factors, and using longer than advised shutter speeds in low light, to take one example, would surely be easier with this, so instead of taking a big burst hoping one lacks motion blur, IBIS could mean you only need to take a couple to be sure, saving time and memory card space.
That's a very smart and well thought out reply, Scyrene. Perfect.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
please educate me, under what circumstances would 5-6 stops IBIS be useful ?

Put it like this...IT HELPS.

To have a debate on whether ibis is needed is pure ignorance or 'head in the sand' mode.

All the other manufacturers seem to have it working fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
The Canon rep I spoke to last weekend actually quoted the old wine commercial, "We'll sell no wine before its time."

They don't want to put something shoddy out, even at the price of having a number of people hopping up-and-down impatiently waiting for it.

Two years after it's out, no one will remember the wait but they'll appreciate the result.

Like the 6d2 sensor?

This is canon...far more yawns then yays. They take forever because thats just what they do..nothign more

Upvote 0