Patent: Here is Canon’s IBIS unit

I am a pro and having IS on my 24-70 EF would have been a very good thing to have for event work. Even at 3200 you sometimes just hit a limit with shutter speed. Of course, it's no good for action but very good for instance scene setting shots, overviews, etc.

We used a friend's A7R iii with IBIS hand held in the redwoods. It was but-ugly useless for a crisp sharp scenery photo. My friend quickly replied "better get myself a tripod". On the other hand, there's a review or two for the new Fuji GFX 50 or 100 showing that its IBIS seem much more effective hand held.

It may boil down to the particular IBIS design.

Personally, I don't really need it. If the IBIS only adds $100 or $200, sure, I'll take it. If it adds $400 or more, maybe offer two models, one with and one without.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
As I understand it there are many detailed patents that never get produced so I think we have to wait and see.

I like IBIS and wish Canon had it. To have IBIS with a 1.2 or 1.4 lens is fun. However I wouldn't be shocked if it isn't a priority for Canon.

Canon tends to concentrate on two key markets. One in consumers and the other is professionals. IBIS is of little interest to either. Consumer lenses all have IS. And now with the upcoming RF holy trinity the key pro lenses will have IS.

Who does this leave? Advanced amateurs - probably the majority who post online. We make a lot of noise but are fairly small in number. Nonetheless we are a market that clearly Nikon and Sony has gone after but we simply aren't the priority for Canon and frankly I don't mind that - I think it's the reason Canon pays so much attention to things like ergonomics, build quality, menu systems, colour science, auto focus etc rather than obsessing over dynamic range at crazy ISO.

So for the serious amateur IBIS can be very nice. It can open up some creative opportunities, it can keep ISO low for landscapes without a tripod, it acts as a sort of safety buffer if shooting say a 135 or 85 and using shutter speeds of around 1/60 or 1/100.

The thing is most professionals won't take those risks anyway. They can't say to the new bride "I'm sorry the moment he gave you the ring has a blurry photo, you must understand I was trying to shoot it at 1/20 so I could use ISO 100 and brag online about it". And most f/1.2 lenses are being used for things like portraiture where professionals will control lighting anyway.

So while ever my first instinct is to say I want IBIS, I am pleased if it comes, it doesn't shock me one bit if Canon decides to continue with just in lens stabilisation and decide that f/1.2 lenses aren't being used in a way that benefits from IBIS. I suspect we will get an answer when we get some slower aperture primes for the RF mount. If we get more 1.8 primes like the 35mm with IS then IBIS would really only be for the 1.2 lenses and who knows if that's viable.
I beg to differ.
1. I would consider all the Super "L" lenses (f/2 and faster) to be key pro lenses. f/1.2 is not about "bragging rights". Maybe it is for you, but my mama taught me to not be a braggart. While I am not a pro, I relish the benefit of IBIS for these lenses, which do not have IS. (Super "L". Remember, you heard it from me first. ;) )

2. Advanced amateurs are a far larger market than professionals who make a living at photography. I believe we are a huge priority for Canon. Canon would die on the vine without us. So would every single other manufacturer.

3. I use an f/1.2 lens... where lighting is controlled with flash and also not because it isn't allowed in some places... including weddings in some churches and museums.

4. Canon will have IBIS, and it will work very well... because that's just how Canon rolls.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
4. Canon will have IBIS, and it will work very well... because that's just how Canon rolls.

The Canon rep I spoke to last weekend actually quoted the old wine commercial, "We'll sell no wine before its time."

They don't want to put something shoddy out, even at the price of having a number of people hopping up-and-down impatiently waiting for it.

Two years after it's out, no one will remember the wait but they'll appreciate the result.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
If my 5DMkIII had IBIS...I would have already purchased the EF 11-24 lens.

Part of the reason my M Canon bodies have seen so much use over the years is that the format's 'best' lens, the EF-M 11-22...is IS.

In my hands...over and over again... lens-based IS has been invaluable. I imagine that Canon, when they implement IBIS...that it will also prove to be an excellent tool.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
please educate me, under what circumstances would 5-6 stops IBIS be useful ?

Look at it another way: instead of thinking, what new shots can I get with this that I couldn't before, consider it a means of making the current shots easier/more reliable. Like autofocus does - it's not that getting a shot in focus wasn't possible before, it's just much easier now. I take bursts of shots to account for various factors, and using longer than advised shutter speeds in low light, to take one example, would surely be easier with this, so instead of taking a big burst hoping one lacks motion blur, IBIS could mean you only need to take a couple to be sure, saving time and memory card space.

• Love
Upvote 0
Rumours were pointing to 90D but that didnt happen so maybe 1d mk3 or that rumoured high resolution R.

What about M5 mk ii or M50 mk ii? Smaller sensors have less mass and might be moved with a simpler setup: A linear factor of 1.6 grows to 1.6³= 4 in terms of volume and hence mass ... And the EOS M series isn't that critical in terms of bad press if the system doesn't work good enough for the most critical users.

But maybe you are right because if that system adds 400 $ / € to the camera price it will be swallowed by the prices of expensive FF cameras while 150 $ / € would be prohibitive for APS-C cameras especially a M50 mk ii.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I bet it will be great.

More than likely it will be superior to what is available anywhere else knowing how Canon operates.
This article explains Canon very well and why they do not have to put out 3-4 iterations of crap with constant fixes to finally get what was advertised at the beginning like others usually do.

Upvote 0