Patent: IBIS appears in a Canon DSLR for the first time

IBIS in a DSLR for the first time ever? First evidence of IBIS being used in a "mirror slapper"?

Not sure what you all been smokin', but my Pentax K20D from 2008 (a DSLR or "Mirror Slapper" as you'd call it) had In-Body Sensor based Image Stabilization. So did the K7 that followed and the K5, and the K3 and even the Full Frame K1 and K1mII and I'm sure there were countless other models before and in-between those. So far from the first ever, perhaps the first in a Canon model.

I didn't know that Canon owned Pentax. Maybe the title was edited since your post.
IBIS appears in a Canon DSLR for the first time

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Most probably we see it in an EOS 1Dx Mark III, maybe in both systems (APS-C & FF), just because the first competitor is not Sony or Nikon, it is Fujifilm with the recent GFX100.

Do you really prefer an EOS R...to a GFX100?

I absolutely prefer an EOS R to a GFX 100. I'm really curious behind the reasoning that would lead someone to believe that the GFX 100 is a competitor to the 1Dx II.

Upvote 0

DrToast

CR Pro
Mar 10, 2016
I agree, it looks like an APS-C camera body but guys, there is no way Canon will introduce it in an cheap APS-C camera first. Yes, there are expensive APS-C options but according to this page the 7D series moved to mirrorless and the 90D, well, the 80D was popular camera among video guys, but no, I don't see it happen. Come on, we're talking Canon. They will give IBIS to the expensive DSLRs and expensive mirrorless cameras first to lure you into buying one of these. It's been the obvious Canon-move for years.

That’s not what they did with DPAF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Most probably we see it in an EOS 1Dx Mark III, maybe in both systems (APS-C & FF), just because the first competitor is not Sony or Nikon, it is Fujifilm with the recent GFX100.

Do you really prefer an EOS R or a Nikon Z7 or a Sony A9 to a GFX100?
Depends entirely on the kind of work I need to do, and I should imagine that applies to most serious photographers without an excess of cash burning holes in their pocket,,,

Now, if you're giving me the camera then yes please I'll take the GFX100

But in terms of spending real money of my own, for my business I'll keep my 5Ds until a replacement turns up

A 1DX 3 would also be nice, if it's being given away but I'm unlikely to buy one for the same reasons that I kept my 1Ds3 until the 5Ds appeared.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Patents like this are the result of work done at least 2 years ago and before Canon decided to go full steam ahead on mirrorless. Its not going to happen in today's market where camera sales are dropping so fast.

To get where they are today Canon would have had to been pretty serious about mirrorless R&D for at least 5 years or so, even if the public never heard anything about it.

However, they were probably working on sensor technologies like IBIS in parallel with mirrorless since they already had mature DSLR camera bodies and lenses. Then when you start doing the actual integration of technology, you don't have to wait for mirrorless bodies to be available.

Upvote 0
Patents like this are the result of work done at least 2 years ago and before Canon decided to go full steam ahead on mirrorless. Its not going to happen in today's market where camera sales are dropping so fast.
...or it will happen because this is part of the new sensor builds at a very base level, so essentially everything using the newest line of sensors (EF, EF-M, R) will have IBIS. Sort of like how almost all new cameras from top to bottom had DPAF almost immediately.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Since we average Canon users are ageing and tremble a bit more than in the old film shooting days, an added IBIS might be a good idea. Sony users already need massive IBIS support since a couple of years to get sharp images... (caution: irony) :devilish::poop:

cause holding camera single handedly isn't ideal? just like on the photo below. please note the lens cap position :)

canon-eos-r-vs-sony-a7iii-product-4.jpg

• Haha
Upvote 0
This isn't the first patent application that's used this diagram showing a DSLR (I've another one listed from June 13th, that didn't get spotted ;-) )
The ones showing this are looking at image capture problems created by moving the sensor, whether through changes in optical alignment or things such as what happens when you move the sensor whilst the shutter is traversing the sensor. Other IBIS patents look at interactions between lens and body stabilisation.

I'd also noted that the example design of the IBIS unit in several applications is using the same 3 coil/6 magnet design.

For anyone looking for more info, have a look at the many prior art references in the latest particular application.

I agree that this is something Canon have been working on for quite some time so probably has had quite a bit of testing in mirrorless and DSLR bodies.

Upvote 0
I didn't know that Canon owned Pentax. Maybe the title was edited since your post.

The title, who knows, but the text states this would be the first ibis in a "mirror-slapper". Which it obviously isn't. The Minolta Dynax (or Maxxum or alpha depending on market I think) 7D did it first and before that the Minolta A2 had it as well. And I think the Sony A900 was the first FF application of IBIS.

Upvote 0
They could introduce it in a rebel series to iron out all the kinks and faults. Once it’s fully working then then the pro cameras will get it.

I believe it's easier to stabilise smaller sensors, so in that regard it would be more prudent to introduce it into APS-C first (and as others have said, Canon has introduced plenty of new technology in lower-end cameras before it trickles up).

Upvote 0
Is that a pop-up flash on the drawing? And, is that at all relevant to the patent (as an indicator as to what type of DSLR this is planned for)?

7D Mk II and 80D have pop-up flashes. Wish my 5D Mk IV did, as it came in handy as an easily configurable optical trigger for slave speedlights.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
cause holding camera single handedly isn't ideal? just like on the photo below. please note the lens cap position :)

canon-eos-r-vs-sony-a7iii-product-4.jpg

Well, if we start to show off our non-Canon gear here: this is my way of holding a non-IBIS camera single-handed :cool: But I have to admit: this one only does work after I pre-focused its manual lens ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
That M6 looks so cool! Glad to see some folks still have film cameras!
Sorry for the extremely late reply. I was extremely busy, including shooting with my Mamiya 6 ;) I love this camera! But, since we are on a Canon forum: I also use 35mm film cameras from Canon, an EOS 3 and a vintage Canon 7 rangefinder (lovely for street, too).

Upvote 0