Patent: LED lights included with the pop-up flash on a DSLR

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A patent geared to video shooters has appeared, and this one shows LED lights being included with the pop-up flash on a DSLR. The LED’s would be on continuously while shooting video, while the flash would be there for still shooting.
This sort of innovation could be good for vloggers and anyone that needs to light up anything close for video when you’re in a pinch.
Japan Patent Application 2019-056787
when using LED which carries out a continuous light as a light source of a lighting system, the measure against the heat which occurs from LED serves as problem. If the measure against heat is not performed sufficiently, LED deteriorates for a short time and there is a possibility that it may become impossible for light volume to be deteriorated or to switch on the light. If it is a lighting system removable to a camera like a Patent document 2, in order to radiate heat in the heat which occurs from LED, it is possible to provide a radiation substrate with a large area, but in...

Continue reading...

Mar 25, 2011
Cooling for LED's is a big issue, particularly if you want a reasonably powerful light.

The patent is basically a method for cooling a led light when its placed in the small flip up flash in the top of the camera. There are several features, water ducts, air vents, makes contact with heat sink when opened, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It can be a useful feature for macro shooters as well. But it shouldnt be in builtin flash as the flash is generally not in use if external triggers are mounted in hotshoe.
I suspect the intended markets for this are the Rebel/xxxD/Mxx lines, i.e. users unlikely to hotshoe-mount a flash or trigger.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It can be a useful feature for macro shooters as well. But it shouldnt be in builtin flash as the flash is generally not in use if external triggers are mounted in hotshoe.
I’m not sure that I understand.....

The pop up flash is normally just a flash, this one would have video lights as well.

If you are triggering an external flash with this new pop up, it should still work.
If you are using external video lights, it should still work.
If you are using a hotshot flash, it won’t pop up, but you were not going to use it anyway
If you are using a hotshot video light, same thing....

How is this different than any other pop up flash for usability?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
I’m not sure that I understand.....

The pop up flash is normally just a flash, this one would have video lights as well.

If you are triggering an external flash with this new pop up, it should still work.
If you are using external video lights, it should still work.
If you are using a hotshot flash, it won’t pop up, but you were not going to use it anyway
If you are using a hotshot video light, same thing....

How is this different than any other pop up flash for usability?

I'm guessing, but maybe it won't' scare bugs as much as a flash?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I suspect the intended markets for this are the Rebel/xxxD/Mxx lines, i.e. users unlikely to hotshoe-mount a flash or trigger.
I used to use external flash(430ex II with cheap radio trigger and reciecer bought from ebay) on my 500D. I know many herpers and butterfliers who use xx0D with macros(180mm, 100/105/90mm and MP-E 65) and external flash(on body or off shoe with triggers). Its very convinient to carry one of these bodies for long trips compared to x0D and 7D series of bodies.

Upvote 0
The patent is a method of cooling the LED when placed in a small flip-up flash at the camera's top. Cooling LEDs is a big problem, especially if you need a fairly powerful light. Such an innovation would be very useful for video bloggers. Since I'm a novice blogger, I'm constantly trying to develop interesting content. So I'm constantly improving the room I'm shooting in to attract an audience. I recently purchased a smart led light, which gives a great variety of color options and settings. All in all, these lights are perfect for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0