Patent: Lots of EF-M zoom optical formulas

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon continues to work away at EF-M lenses judging by this recent patent application. It looks like they’re working on improved optics for kit zoom lenses, sharper performance and less vignetting are on order.
EF-M Zoom Optical Formulas in Japan Patent Application 2019008235:

EF-M 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6
EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3
EF-M 18-130mm f/3.4-5.6
EF-M 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3
EF-M 15-130mm f/3.5-6.3

We expect a new EOS M body in the coming months and it wouldn’t surprise us to see a new kit zoom announced alongside the camera.

Continue reading...

The 15-130mm sounds interesting.
Yes indeed. As of the moment, I have Tamron 16-300mm paired w/ the M50. Non-native but beast of a focal length as an all rounder. I might be tempted by the new lens. BUT if they come up with 15-200, it’d be gold. Tamron also have an EF-M 18-200mm, but my adapted setup is still my go to.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Presumably all of these 'new' lenses would have the EF-M 'standard' 61mm diameter...a 'limitation' that I feel is warranted as far as the original intent of the M-system is concerned (size and weight).

I do like the 18-150...had the 15-1XX existed I might've gone that route. The 18-150 is quite nice...for candids of my family while traveling. I suspect the 15-1XX would be nearly as nice, but with the wider angle would be preferred for an all-around lens.

I really do like on-the-go shots with the Ms--this one is with the M6 mated to the 11-22.IMG_2428 picasa crop PS3 fix2 copy - Copy.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
currently have the 15-85 on my M5...huge setup but much better than the 15-45 and i wouldn't give up the extra 3mm...should canon release a new kit lens that is either longer than 45mm or brighter i would give up the ef-s option..
The 15-85 is the only EF-S lens I kept. It’s the perfect walk around lens. But to me, it defeats the purpose of my M6 plus adapter plus that lens. Might as well take my SL1 with the 15-85 and no adapter, nearly same size and weight. Agreed, Canon needs a decent wide angle to light/mid telephoto lens in the EF-M lineup.

Upvote 0
I've been using an M5 as my primary camera since it first came out. EF equipment gone. Large set of Fuji X gear gone.

"We're expecting a new M5 update soon" or something along those lines has been a constant refrain on the internet for a year now. And here it is - again?!

I also don't see any non-variable-aperture zooms. I do give Canon credit for the 32mm lens, I have it, and like it. But it's basically the only really good EF-M lens issued during the TWO YEARS since the M5 came out. The 22 and 11-22 are the other two good EF-M lenses IMHO, having also had some of the others. Otherwise use EF lenses on the adapter, which sort of defeats the whole purpose.

So: I just took a three week trip with my new Nikon Z6, and it works so well and takes such nice images with the 24-70 that the M5 has gone into storage. Does the Z6 seem a bit large and heavy compared to the M5? Sure, but not that bad, and not in the same league of large-and-heavy as going back to a 6D and 24-70L. (And, for me personally, the Z6 was instead of a Canon R, which IMHO is under-featured, over-priced, has strange throwback controls, and the 24-105 lens is large and heavy.)

Anyway, the M5 may or may not come out of storage again. And I am starting to have trouble caring any more if an updated model is coming.

Upvote 0
There definitely is room for a 15/16/17-45/50/55mm f2.8-4 in the Canon M lineup. To those that despair that it wouldn't be possible to do with a 61mm diameter, take a look at the Fuji f2.8-4 standard zoom. That lens has a 65mm diameter. And it was never engineered to specifically fit within a certain diameter, so presumably there is room to slim it down a little to fit within the prescribed Canon M diameter. Just look at the Sigma 30mm f1.4 DN and the Fuji 35mm f1.4. Both lenses have a 65mm diameter, and Canon was still able to make their 32mm f1.4 with 61mm diameter.

Also, lets not forget there have been Canon M patents for 15-45mm lenses with apertures f/1.8-3.5, f/2.0-4.0 and f/2.8-5.0.

So in summary, a relatively fast-aperture standard zoom is very possible from an engineering standpoint, it is a glaring omission in their current Canon M linupe, Canon has recently shown with the 32mm f1.4 that they do intent to introduce faster lenses to the lineup, and there have been patent applications for just this type of lens. In my opinion there is a ~80% chance such a lens will be unveiled in the next 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Since the M line appears to be selling well and there is no indication of its imminent demise, I find it curious that Sigma is not producing lenses for it.
From Canon I am still waiting for:

EF-M 53 f/1.8 IS
EF-M 63 f/2.8 IS Macro
EF-M 17-50 f/4.0 IS

I wonder if Canon's concentration on developing RF lenses will impact M lens development, or are they separate design teams?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My 18-150 is optically lacking and I am not very happy with it. I once had a 18-135 for apps-c which was really good.
EF-M lenses do have copy variation. Bryan’s (TDP) first copy of the M18-150 was terrible. I sent him images from mine, which is optically very good, he ordered another copy which was much better and that’s the one you see in his ISO 12233 shots.

As a rule, when you buy a lens test it! Checking for decentering isn’t difficult, and it’s a common cause of poor IQ that results from rough handling during shipment. There is also variation out of the factory, less with L lenses, more with consumer lenses, and even more with inexpensive lenses like Samyang/Rokinon.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Shame Canon only thinks in cheap, dark, plastic zooms for the system. I'm afraid that is all we going to ever get.

That is what I and many others want.
Small and light has to be slow and with plastic.
Many L lenses are plastic in a lot of the lens.
I personally am very happy with the new lenses as I am planning on getting the new M camera if it is an M5 replacement.
That is what has me holding off.
If I want big and heavy I will stick with my L lenses and the 7D or get an R with big fast lenses. But this is great for a second handy camera.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
There definitely is room for a 15/16/17-45/50/55mm f2.8-4 in the Canon M lineup. To those that despair that it wouldn't be possible to do with a 61mm diameter, take a look at the Fuji f2.8-4 standard zoom. That lens has a 65mm diameter. And it was never engineered to specifically fit within a certain diameter, so presumably there is room to slim it down a little to fit within the prescribed Canon M diameter. Just look at the Sigma 30mm f1.4 DN and the Fuji 35mm f1.4. Both lenses have a 65mm diameter, and Canon was still able to make their 32mm f1.4 with 61mm diameter.

Also, lets not forget there have been Canon M patents for 15-45mm lenses with apertures f/1.8-3.5, f/2.0-4.0 and f/2.8-5.0.

So in summary, a relatively fast-aperture standard zoom is very possible from an engineering standpoint, it is a glaring omission in their current Canon M linupe, Canon has recently shown with the 32mm f1.4 that they do intent to introduce faster lenses to the lineup, and there have been patent applications for just this type of lens. In my opinion there is a ~80% chance such a lens will be unveiled in the next 2 years.

Fast lenses are very easy for the M mount seeing as it is larger than the Sony e mount.

Upvote 0