Patent: More Supertelephoto Optical Formulas

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Another set of Supertelephotos has appeared in a Japanese patent application.</p>
<p>Japan Patent Application 2018-018101</p>
<ul>
<li>EF 300mm f/2.8L</li>
<li>EF 400mm f/2.8L</li>
<li>EF 500mm f/4.0L</li>
<li>EF 600mm f/4.0L</li>
<li>EF 800mm f/5.6L</li>
</ul>
<p>We’re expecting new supertelephoto lenses some time in the next 12-18 months.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

StoicalEtcher

CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Yorkshire
Canon Rumors said:
Another set of Supertelephotos has appeared in a Japanese patent application.</p>
<ul>
<li>EF 300mm f/2.8L</li>
<li>EF 400mm f/2.8L</li>
<li>EF 500mm f/4.0L</li>
<li>EF 600mm f/4.0L</li>
<li>EF 800mm f/5.6L</li>
</ul>
<p>We’re expecting new supertelephoto lenses some time in the next 12-18 months.</p>

Given how great most (all?) of the existing line up are, I have to wonder what can be improved (weight, coatings, IS?) and, if they can be significantly improved, then it might be time to start saving as 12-18 months time could be expensive! ;D

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
There might be a niche for an updated 400mm or 500 mm f/5.6 L IS, but it could be a small one. Among all the local wildlife photographers who are still on relatively inexpensive "starter" lenses, I am the only one with the 400 f/5.6 L no-IS, which admittedly I love for light weight and handiness for birds in flight. Everyone else has a 100-400L IS I, or Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm IS. There seems to be a strong preference for zoom versatility. That being said, there is no such critter as an inexpensive f5.6 supertele prime with IS, so it is hard to say if anyone would buy it.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
exquisitor said:
Why not update the 400/5.6? Looking at the 100-400/4.0-5.6 II Canon could definitely make something great with a prime 400 mm, like less weight and smaller than the current version + IS.
I am also looking forward to the rumoured 150-600 mm from Canon. Somehow there is not much to hear about it anymore.

There’s still no competition for the existing lens.
There’s a ton of lenses on the market that perform “similarly” now, but in practical terms, for the BIF crowd at least, the 400f5.6 still has the best AF, lowest weight and is priced very reasonably. You can’t do “better” by getting a competing lens.
All the superzooms are heavy, have worse AF, are practically no sharper at 400mm and IQ at the 600mm zoom range drops too much to be a significant benefit.
If Sigma or Tamron would make a modern 400f5.6 prime with top level sharpness and IS, the situation might change, and if anyone makes a 400f4.0 for under $2K that would be a game changer, but as of yet all we have is a whole lot of “decent” zoom lenses that perfrom about the same for about the same price.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
You won't get an argument from me, the 400 f/5.6L no-IS is the "fun" birding lens for people who like to move around (hike distances) and to hand-hold. I am not getting rid of mine. I am just wondering if there are enough lower-budget birders out there to make an IS update popular. Remember, many people justify a 100-400 by using it as a general purpose lens (I have the EF 70-200 f/4 IS for that). The current 100-400 II also hits a second niche with near-macro minimum focusing distance.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
<ul>
<li>EF 300mm f/2.8L</li>
<li>EF 400mm f/2.8L</li>
<li>EF 500mm f/4.0L</li>
<li>EF 600mm f/4.0L</li>
<li>EF 800mm f/5.6L</li>
</ul>
If I recall correctly you were saying the same last year...

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
There might be a niche for an updated 400mm or 500 mm f/5.6 L IS, but it could be a small one. Among all the local wildlife photographers who are still on relatively inexpensive "starter" lenses, I am the only one with the 400 f/5.6 L no-IS, which admittedly I love for light weight and handiness for birds in flight. Everyone else has a 100-400L IS I, or Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm IS. There seems to be a strong preference for zoom versatility. That being said, there is no such critter as an inexpensive f5.6 supertele prime with IS, so it is hard to say if anyone would buy it.

I agree, this lens is rather a specialty. But... from the market of used lenses here in Germany the 400/5.6 seems to be quite popular in comparison with any kind of tilt shift lenses. And TS-E 90/2.8 got updated last year. I can imagine that the market for this lens is even smaller than for 400/5.6.

9VIII said:
exquisitor said:
Why not update the 400/5.6? Looking at the 100-400/4.0-5.6 II Canon could definitely make something great with a prime 400 mm, like less weight and smaller than the current version + IS.
I am also looking forward to the rumoured 150-600 mm from Canon. Somehow there is not much to hear about it anymore.

There’s still no competition for the existing lens.
There’s a ton of lenses on the market that perform “similarly” now, but in practical terms, for the BIF crowd at least, the 400f5.6 still has the best AF, lowest weight and is priced very reasonably. You can’t do “better” by getting a competing lens.
All the superzooms are heavy, have worse AF, are practically no sharper at 400mm and IQ at the 600mm zoom range drops too much to be a significant benefit.
If Sigma or Tamron would make a modern 400f5.6 prime with top level sharpness and IS, the situation might change, and if anyone makes a 400f4.0 for under $2K that would be a game changer, but as of yet all we have is a whole lot of “decent” zoom lenses that perfrom about the same for about the same price.

That could be one reason. But the same example, as above: TS-E lenses has no competition too, but they got updated last year.

I think other reason is that the current 400/5.6 is still selling well, so why bother.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
With the 2020 Olympics being at home in Tokyo I assume Canon will be a major sponsor and will be looking to have new gear to impress.
The current 600mm is lighter than the previous version but its still a whopper.
It's like owning an aircraft carrier. It's expensive to build one but then you need to buy the planes to put on it and support ships.
The current 600mm is like that. You need a Gimbal Head and solid tripod and a good raincover and a suitable bag.
(The cases are great for storage but not for moving)
Smaller (more compact) and lighter would be an improvement. I can't imagine image quality being better but maybe its possible.
I'm sure Canon make some money from these lens but I assume they are more aspirational lens. Very few of Canon photographers will ever use them but they need to be recognised as the best and show up at World Cups and Olympics. Many Canon users dream of owning them and hope some day that dream will come through.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Canon Rumors said:
<ul>
<li>EF 300mm f/2.8L</li>
<li>EF 400mm f/2.8L</li>
<li>EF 500mm f/4.0L</li>
<li>EF 600mm f/4.0L</li>
<li>EF 800mm f/5.6L</li>
</ul>

Is it possible the improvements correlate to new sensor technology that they will need to be even better? It seems that there are a lot of new patents for new sensors that I hope are considerably better and will that then require improvements in lenses?

Upvote 0