Patent: New EF-S 18-55 With an LCD Display?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
A <a href="http://thenewcamera.com/canon-patent-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-is-iii-kit-lens-with-display-screen/">patent has surfaced</a> pertaining to aberration reduction in interchangeable lenses.</p>
<p>Unrelated to the patent is an image showing an EF-S 18-55 kit lens with what appears to be an LCD display like we have seen on the <a href="https://www.adorama.com/ca70300is2.html?kbid=64393">Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II</a>.</p>
<p>The patent does reference a “lens information display”.</p>
<p>We’ve been told that a new kit lens is coming this year, and it’s possible that it will be a new EF-S 18-55 IS. Though we haven’t confirmed a DSLR that could possibly be announced alongside such a lens.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>Below is Japan Patent JP2018005130A:</strong></p>
<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/JP2018005130A.pdf" class="pdfemb-viewer" style="" data-width="max" data-height="max"  data-toolbar="bottom" data-toolbar-fixed="off">JP2018005130A
</a>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
It would appear that the digital display and connecting electronics are getting cheaper than what a conventional distance scale would cost to add.

(Has an EF-S 18-55 ever had a distance scale before? Last three versions = no, but there may have been one back in the day perhaps.)

- A

I suspect so. The distance scale is useful, in that no distance scale on a FBW lens makes it so that you have no idea where you're focused. I was not very fond of it, generally speaking, on the new 70-300 -- I much prefer the traditional windowed distance scale.

But still, the current 17-55 is kind of cheap-feeling and is very much kit-ish, whereas the new nano lenses look/feel much nicer and more modern.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
you are not talking about the EF-S 17-55? It is an outstanding lens with a solid build. Expensive enough, so it better. I used it for 6 years on APS-C DSLRs and it has served me very well. When I sold it, it was still in decent shape despite a lot of use.

In fact, Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS was a primary reasons I did not switch from EOS 40D to Nikon back then, when the D300 came out. Nikon has a expensive "tank-like" built 17-55, complete with totally unneeded distance window and possibly also manual aperture ring and whathavenot mechanical shenanigans like Nikon screwdriver AF. Don't need it, dont want it, wont buy it, wont lug around bricks like that.

To the day there is no finer f/2.8 mirrorslapper APS-C zoom with IS from any manufacturer in that focal length range.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
jolyonralph said:
I don't do video, but is this kind of thing useful for video people?

I don't do video either, but the no-hunt autofocus speed of nano USM is desirable for video. The 18-135 Nano USM is a really nice video lens.

I think that generally speaking, in the context of a kit/consumer lens, nano USM feels very impressive.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
Unrelated to the patent is an image showing an EF-S 18-55 kit lens with what appears to be an LCD display like we have seen on the <a href="https://www.adorama.com/ca70300is2.html?kbid=64393">Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II</a>.</p>

WTF is going on at Canon? The market is moving to upmarket mirrorless and they are spending limited resources on adding a gimmick to a low end kit lens while they delay thier FF mirrorless. It's like it's la-la-land at Canon corporate. Totally out of touch with reality and as dysfunctional as they come.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
i don't think so in this case. the illustration looks truly Canon butt ugly and dysfunctional, exactly as on 70-300 IS II.

I consider any distance window useless. I want to see that information IN THE VIEWFINDER, not somewhere the lens barrel. But IF a company insists on putting a useless LCD on an outer lens barrel, then please make it at least look halfway decent. And make the information display at least a bit functional.

useless, ugly and hard to read/interpret = "Canon dysfunctional"
dscale.jpg

Much better, much easier to interpret, not offensive to the eye = zeiss Batis [that's where Canon saw it first]:

zeiss-batis-2818-lens-slider-01.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
it is really bonkers that Canon is wasting resources on useless gimmicks like this and then is not even able to make it anywhere near as nice as competition. Why does Canon not put resources into something that would really give them a leg up on competitors. Yes, ofc i am talking about Eye-Controlled AF [ECF] in an upgraded, 2018 , high-performance version. :)

Upvote 0