Patent: Panning Assist Using Image Stabilization

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-camera-rumours-and-info/">Northlight</a> has uncovered a <a href="http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20180103207">USPTO</a> patent that discusses using image stabilization to compensate for panning errors.</p>
<p><strong>Northlight explains:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>The idea is to use the IS system to compensate for panning errors as well as camera shake. This needs movement vectors calculating for the whole image area.</p></blockquote>
<p>This is definitely an interesting idea and use of existing IS technology.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
Sounds innovative. Are you sure the patent was filed by Canon?

;) ::)
Yeah, but that's so yesterday. What has Canon done today?
You'll have to wait for two years until the patents are published.

Its like a time machine, but you can only view the past.

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
KeithBreazeal said:
This is the concept I discussed with Chuck Westfall a few years ago. The basis for the idea came at the Reno Air Races where I am at the pylons with planes within 100' at 500 mph. The keeper rate is less than 10%.

Reno 2015 VooDoo pylon 6714 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr
Keith, is there a fire pole to slide down if it looks like a racer is going to strike the pylon? Serious and kidding at the same time. Bet it can be scary at times.

KeithBreazeal

EOS 6D MK II
Jan 16, 2014
www.kbvp.com
CanonFanBoy said:
KeithBreazeal said:
This is the concept I discussed with Chuck Westfall a few years ago. The basis for the idea came at the Reno Air Races where I am at the pylons with planes within 100' at 500 mph. The keeper rate is less than 10%.

Reno 2015 VooDoo pylon 6714 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr
Keith, is there a fire pole to slide down if it looks like a racer is going to strike the pylon? Serious and kidding at the same time. Bet it can be scary at times.
We have to sign a waiver that includes possible death. There is nowhere to take cover- flat desert. Sometimes the planes get a bit close- that point where you take your eye from the viewfinder.

Reno 2015 Lee Oman T-6 tight 5494 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

JP

I'm New Here
Aug 5, 2014
Great... a nice soft image... just like the 6D2 produces.. Sorry, but Canon's in camera IS is junk... totally worthless..