Patent: Pop up viewfinder to allow for larger rear LCD displays

Sep 18, 2019
Looking at the patent application...
The main idea is that the eye detect sensor is moved into the pop-up EVF bit, so that it isn't in part of the main camera body/screen and thus impinging on the available area for the screen.
That may make sense... but it's definitely NOT what this patent application is describing:

• Paragraph 0039 of the application describes the eye detection sensor, which is labelled as item 200 in the diagrams.
  • Paragraph 0044 of the application describes a "protective plate" to cover the eye detection sensor. This plate is labelled 201 in the diagrams.

If you look at the diagrams, you see quite clearly that the items marked 200 or 201 are NOT on the viewfinder, but are in the same assembly as the display panel. This fact is also made plain later in the text of the patent application.

Paragraph 0074 is interesting, as it explains that, although not illustrated in the diagrams, "the eyepiece may be operable while tilted. This arrangement, even when the camera is held at a low position for shooting from a low angle, enables to enhance operabiility when using the electronic viewfinder."

Upvote 0
I'm a fan of the viewfinder on the far left so my nose has room. I'd like to have that bit of viewfinder usability.
For me that's a strength of the removable viewfinder on the M6/M6 II.
It's more above the camera, with more space around for nose, glasses and Co...

Yeah, there's downsides too. But this additional comfort is not often mentioned.
I suppose you have to try those camera to notice it.

Upvote 0
can we just ditch EVF's? i've gone to using my LCD exclusively the last year, and dont really see the advantage of using an EVF at this point?

fine if it works for you.

I can see many advantages of having a viewfinder - electronic or optical - in cameras and absolutely want them for myself. In my opinion, "no EVF" only works with small & light devices - smartphones, very compact cameras and lenses. Framing and capturing images while holding heavy/chunky gear at arm's length is no viable option, even if Chuck Norris can steadily handhold 800mm lenses for long exposures. :)

But even on small devices viewfinder has decisive advantages:
* much better stabilized camera position using viewfinder = shorter shutter speeds and/or lower ISO setting possible = better chances to get shots of moving subjects and higher image quality
* less need to use tripod, which is often not easy/possible - depending on capture situation, subject etc.
* viewfinder also works well in brightly lit environments, eg. outdoors on sunny day, or in contralight - compared to using rear display: much easier to judge scene, exposure, color, etc. without glare all around = better chance to get desired image, higher chance for best possible image quality
* more concentrated/framed/shielded view of scene, often helps composition. Of course there are also situations where framing on larger rear display has advantages, eg to better watch area outside/surrounding framed view through lens - that's why decent cameras offer both options.

As much as i like my Canon EOS M (original, 1st gen) - lack of viewfinder is its greatest shortcoming. Will never purchase another camera without viewfinder - no go for EOS M6 II. At the same time i value ultracompact gear. That's why I am really hoping for an EOS M50 successor with (somewhat) smaller form factor, without bulky central viewfinder hump but rather a built-in pop-up EVF [similar to Powershot G5X II) - with smarter eye detect sensor along the lines of this patent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
* viewfinder also works well in brightly lit environments, eg. outdoors on sunny day, or in contralight - compared to using rear display: much easier to judge scene, exposure, color, etc. without glare all around = better chance to get desired image, higher chance for best possible image quality

This, precisely this.

Several years ago at the San Diego zoo, I found myself unable to tell whether my Rebel T3 was making a video or not, outside in the sun. The red dot on the screen was invisible, and it was an OVF and didn't show there. I could at least frame what I might or might not have been videoing because of the OVF. If I hadn't had that, I'd have been completely crippled.

As a result, I didn't get video of a Galapagos tortoise moving at WARP SPEED (well, okay, for a turtle) because it was feeding time.

On the upside, an M6-II at least can have an EVF attached--that actually has some advantages, such as projecting far enough from the back of the camera I don't smack my nose into the screen. I decided that was good enough and bought the camera. Would I rather have had am M5-II with a viewfinder? Sure, but I'll take a real camera over a non-existent one any day of the week.

(Some are hoping an M5-II with IBIS comes out...that would be cool and would explain why they didn't release one at the same time as the M6-II.)

Upvote 0