Patent: Sigma 200mm f/2 DG OS USM & 1.4 Teleconverter

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
It looks like Sigma is developing a competitor to one of my favourite Canon lenses, the EF 200mm f/2L IS. This is one of those lenses that once you try one, you never want to put it down. It’s a very versatile focal length and is especially magical for portrait work.</p>
<p>Patent Publication No. 2016-45314 (Google Translated)</p>
<ul>
<li>Published 2016.4.4</li>
<li>Filing date 2014.8.21</li>
</ul>
<p>Sigma 200mm f/2 DG OS</p>
<ul>
<li>Focal length 194.93</li>
<li>F-number 2.05</li>
<li>Full angle of view 2ω 12.70</li>
<li>The image height Y 21.63</li>
<li>Overall length of the lens 231.33</li>
<li>BF 60.2233</li>
</ul>
<p>Sigma 1.4x TC</p>
<ul>
<li>Focal length 274.52</li>
<li>F-number 2.89</li>
<li>Full angle of view 2ω 9.06</li>
<li>The image height Y 21.63</li>
<li>Overall length of the lens 252.18</li>
<li>BF 39.5088</li>
</ul>
<p>Along with the optical formula patent for a 200mm f/2 OS, it looks like Sigma is developing a dedicated 1.4x teleconverter for the lens.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Isn't the Canon 200mm f/2 version ll, on the CR list of possible 2016 announcements? it still has the old 2mode IS and is starting to look a bit dated. A sigma would keep canon's price down. Hoping the Olympics will give us a new 200 f/2! Only rented this one, but sure is great for indoor sports, and improved IS would make it better, so long as they don't blow up the cost!

Upvote 0
Very interesting. I'd love a 200L f/2 but the price is so high - even secondhand - I just can't justify it (in the meantime I hope to get a 200 1.8, even with all the drawbacks - lack of IS, so-so ergonomics, focus by wire lack of repair support). A third party equivalent would be a good compromise - assuming it was reasonably good.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
ahsanford said:
And in other news, Sigma's CEO also stated that he was deliberately withholding the 85mm f/1.4 Art from the public with no plans to release it:

"It's done, it's phenomenal, and you'll never have one! I will release other focal lengths of Sigma Art lenses just to flummox you! Moohahaha!!"

- A

It's official, Sigma has now attained the status level of "Overlord of the Lens Industry".

Someone needs to photoshop Kazuto Yamaki into the big spikey chair from Game of Thrones.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
I like the way Sigma is always presenting something new and interesting.
Of course this is just a patent and we'll see if it's becoming a product,
but if so it will be quite interesting seeing this comparing to the Canon offer in price, AF and IQ.

"New and interesting", as in the same as Canon's lens, Alrighty then.

Upvote 0
Andyx01 said:
Maximilian said:
but if so it will be quite interesting seeing this comparing to the Canon offer in price, AF and IQ.

the new and interesting part is that you won't have to spend 6 grand to get a 200mm f/2 :)

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Very interesting. If this becomes a reality, though, Sigma absolutely HAS to get the focus consistency gremlins dealt with. This is an incredibly demanding focal length.

That was my first thought. Unless Sigma corrects their auto focus and copy variation issues, I would avoid this lens even if it was incredible optically. Out of focus pictures are out of focus pictures...

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
tr573 said:
Andyx01 said:
Maximilian said:

the new and interesting part is that you won't have to spend 6 grand to get a 200mm f/2 :)

I got mine for $5.5k - the best money ever spent.

Upvote 0