Patent: Switchable 1.4x & 2.0x teleconverter

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I couldn’t figure out in this patent if you could also switch to 1.0x, so you could, in theory, leave the teleconverter attached to your favourite lens if you so desired.

Well, it's quite clear in the patent image that this won't be possible.

The distance to the sensor on 1.0x is shorter than at 1.4x and 2x so this is a standard adaptor that plugs on the end of the lens - it's not something built-in like the on the 200-400 lens and to get 1.0x you need to remove it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'd probably buy a multi-TC like that, especially if it does 0/1.4X/2X. It really comes down to what type of images you want to make. Some people, myself definitely included, try to get as close as possible for the more static detailed portrait shots and are relatively screwed when the subject takes flight because wings get clipped. If you know the species you are shooting, you figure out most of the tell tales of impending flight and could back off the TC if it is a lever activation like the 200-400. Just tired of cleaning the dust off the sensor from multiple swaps each outing.
Is the dust problem because you work in dusty, windy surroundings or is a matter of technique. I am constantly changing TCs but have never needed to clean a sensor. I treat the open end of the camera or the lens like I was trained for handling Petrie dishes by having them point downwards during handling and also immediately putting the caps on the TC. An occasional blow of the TC or end of lens helps but I rarely see dust there.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Is the dust problem because you work in dusty, windy surroundings or is a matter of technique. I am constantly changing TCs but have never needed to clean a sensor. I treat the open end of the camera or the lens like I was trained for handling Petrie dishes by having them point downwards during handling and also immediately putting the caps on the TC. An occasional blow of the TC or end of lens helps but I rarely see dust there.

With the 600 mounted on a tripod/gimbal I have both more and less control than doing things handheld. I spend the time to clean the camera, the TC and lenses, especially near the mating surfaces. Dust accumulates the fastest in one area but once it starts there, it is everywhere within a month. People have jokingly called it a NASCAR tire change when I swap, which has probably reduced the issue, but not eliminated it. Camera is off to reduce any dust attracting charge, camera angled down, etc. Most of my shots are in Southern California, a coastal desert/windy mountains/actual desert so dust is going to be in air. The part that is overlooked is I'm still usually tracking a subject and sudden movements aren't helping there which is why I'd prefer a selectable unit attached.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
With the 600 mounted on a tripod/gimbal I have both more and less control than doing things handheld. I spend the time to clean the camera, the TC and lenses, especially near the mating surfaces. Dust accumulates the fastest in one area but once it starts there, it is everywhere within a month. People have jokingly called it a NASCAR tire change when I swap, which has probably reduced the issue, but not eliminated it. Camera is off to reduce any dust attracting charge, camera angled down, etc. Most of my shots are in Southern California, a coastal desert/windy mountains/actual desert so dust is going to be in air. The part that is overlooked is I'm still usually tracking a subject and sudden movements aren't helping there which is why I'd prefer a selectable unit attached.
The change is more difficult for you because of your heavier lens and being somewhat unwieldy on a tripod than it is for me for my hand held gear. Such a unit could be useful to you, but it would add more noticeable weight for me - 450g or 1lb guessing from the weights of the current 1.4 and 2xTCs - which you wouldn't notice as much on a tripod.

Upvote 0