Patent: The Next Prosumer DSLR to Get Illuminated Buttons?

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Will Canon finally add illuminated buttons to the back of their prosumer DSLRs? This latest patent seems to show that they just might.</p>
<p>Nikon and Pentax have had illuminated rear buttons for quite some time.</p>

<p>Could the EOS 7D Mark III be the first Canon DSLR to get this feature?</p>
<p><a href="https://www4.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/eng/tokujitsu/tkbs_en/TKBS_EN_GM101_Top.action">Japan Patent Application JP2017-147019A</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mikehit

EOS 5D MK IV
Jul 28, 2015
I wonder how you can patent illuminated buttons? There must be some fancy stuff going on in there - a miniature genetically engineered glow worm, perhaps?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Long, long overdue. I welcome this on all models (provided you can turn it off when you want to).

- A

nostrovia

EOS M50
May 6, 2014
amorse said:
This is awesome, I just wish I had it on my 5DIV! But yes, provided that you can turn it off.
It'd be great if it was just activated when you hit the button to illuminate the top panel lcd.

Chaitanya

EOS 6D MK II
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Olympus also had illuminated buttons on their entry level DSLR E-620. illuminated buttons are such a life saver when working in dark.

EOS 80D
Dec 18, 2014
So the invention patented is that this will now available on Canon cameras? Like, if you can turn them of....

zim

EOR R
Oct 18, 2011
nostrovia said:
amorse said:
This is awesome, I just wish I had it on my 5DIV! But yes, provided that you can turn it off.
It'd be great if it was just activated when you hit the button to illuminate the top panel lcd.
Wouldn't be able to find it, wouldn't be illuminated :p ;D

EOS 80D
Dec 18, 2014
zim said:
nostrovia said:
amorse said:
:ppppp

midluk

EOS RP
Aug 27, 2015
zim said:
nostrovia said:
amorse said:
They can add some (always) illuminated arrows to the housing to lead you the button.

Memirsbrunnr

EOS T7i
Nov 19, 2017
Denmark
What no one seems to commend on is that this seems to imply there is not going to be a titly flippy screen on the 6D mark 3.. this has me disappointed a little

Yasko

EOS 80D
Jun 9, 2017
Mikehit said:
I wonder how you can patent illuminated buttons? There must be some fancy stuff going on in there - a miniature genetically engineered glow worm, perhaps?
German manufacturer Leica has a patent on illuminated controls of superresolution microscopes, prohibiting the competition to e.g. use illuminated keyboards (standard market components) or wheel controls... anything is possible in the fucked up world of patent rights.

whothafunk

EOS RP
Apr 17, 2013
About time. Atleast something Nikon done right years ago (1, 2?), wish Canon would follow sooner.

IglooEater

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 15, 2014
I'd say this is 15 years over due. Otoh, I can't recall not finding a button just because I couldn't see it- Canon had them all placed exactly where they ought to be.

BeenThere

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 4, 2012
Have too hope they do it right with no internal light leakage to the sensor with high ISO and long exposures (minutes}. Of course ability to turn it off would negate this, but at night you would want it turned on.

rrcphoto

EOS 5D MK IV
Jun 20, 2013
Memirsbrunnr said:
What no one seems to commend on is that this seems to imply there is not going to be a titly flippy screen on the 6D mark 3.. this has me disappointed a little
wrong camera model. this is either a 5D or a 7D chassis.