Patent: The Next Prosumer DSLR to Get Illuminated Buttons?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Will Canon finally add illuminated buttons to the back of their prosumer DSLRs? This latest patent seems to show that they just might.</p>
<p>Nikon and Pentax have had illuminated rear buttons for quite some time.</p>

<p>Could the EOS 7D Mark III be the first Canon DSLR to get this feature?</p>
<p><a href="https://www4.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/eng/tokujitsu/tkbs_en/TKBS_EN_GM101_Top.action">Japan Patent Application JP2017-147019A</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Dec 18, 2014
zim said:
nostrovia said:
amorse said:
This is awesome, I just wish I had it on my 5DIV! But yes, provided that you can turn it off.

It'd be great if it was just activated when you hit the button to illuminate the top panel lcd.

Wouldn't be able to find it, wouldn't be illuminated :p ;D

:ppppp

s-l225.jpg

Upvote 0
zim said:
nostrovia said:
amorse said:
This is awesome, I just wish I had it on my 5DIV! But yes, provided that you can turn it off.

It'd be great if it was just activated when you hit the button to illuminate the top panel lcd.

Wouldn't be able to find it, wouldn't be illuminated :p ;D

They can add some (always) illuminated arrows to the housing to lead you the button.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
Mikehit said:
I wonder how you can patent illuminated buttons? There must be some fancy stuff going on in there - a miniature genetically engineered glow worm, perhaps?

German manufacturer Leica has a patent on illuminated controls of superresolution microscopes, prohibiting the competition to e.g. use illuminated keyboards (standard market components) or wheel controls... anything is possible in the fucked up world of patent rights.

Upvote 0