Patent: Zoom tilt-shift lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A patent uncovered by Northlight shows the optical formulas for zooming tilt-shift lenses has appeared over at the USPTO.
The patent appears to mention two separate and interesting tilt-shift lens technology.
The first, the patent shows two internal shift modules. This would help to maintain image quality when tilting the lens. The patent shows a 50mm f/4 design with the two shift modules.
The second part of the patent shows off new zooming tilt-shift lens designs.
Both a  24-100mm f/4 and a 30-80mm f/4 are included as embodiments.
Canon TS-E 24-100mm f/4 embodiment:

Focal length: 24.74mm – 49.55mm – 99.94mm
F-number: 4.13 – 4.31 – 4.42
Half angle of view: 41.17° – 23.59° – 12.21°
Image height: 21.64mm – 21.64mm – 21.64mm
Total lens length: 159.00mm – 174.75mm – 200.33mm
BF: 43.99mm – 55.44mm – 69.75mm

Canon TS-E 30-80mm...

Continue reading...

Jul 21, 2010
I'm sure these would be fantastic lenses but I am still expecting reasonably priced lenses from Canon for RF. It seems Canon is playing a fantasy game with RF lenses now.
I think Canon’s strategy is logical. The RF 35 is reasonably priced, and the RF 24-105 is essentially the same as the EF version and priced to match. The premium priced lenses are uniquely made available for RF and/or addressing a perceived gap in EF (e.g., portrait primes that emphasize sharpness). Someone pointed out that the launch price of the RF 85/1.2 is essentially the insulation-adjusted equivalent of the EF 85/1.2 II. For other needs as the RF portfolio is built out, there are mount adapters which are inexpensive, and in many cases bundled with the R camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
I think Canon’s strategy is logical. The RF 35 is reasonably priced, and the RF 24-105 is essentially the same as the EF version and priced to match. The premium priced lenses are uniquely made available for RF and/or addressing a perceived gap in EF (e.g., portrait primes that emphasize sharpness). Someone pointed out that the launch price of the RF 85/1.2 is essentially the insulation-adjusted equivalent of the EF 85/1.2 II. For other needs as the RF portfolio is built out, there are mount adapters which are inexpensive, and in many cases bundled with the R camera.
I have the 35mm and 24-105mm, and with adapter I can use all my Canon lenses as well. But it's me. Canon must really introduce resonably priced RF 70-300 and 17-35mm lenses for new buyers. I think 17-35mm is coming anyway.
Also for RP Canon desperately needs RF 24-105mm f3.5-5.6 (like the EF STM version). Rp + that lens as a kit for 1700USD or less, then Canon will fly :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Also for RP Canon desperately needs RF 24-105mm f3.5-5.6 (like the EF STM version). Rp + that lens as a kit for 1700USD or less, then Canon will fly :)
I think we’ll see the previously announced RF 24-240 bundled with the RP soon. Canon already sells the RP bundled with a mount adapter and the EF 24-105 variable aperture STM...for US$1700.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
I think we’ll see the previously announced RF 24-240 bundled with the RP soon. Canon already sells the RP bundled with a mount adapter and the EF 24-105 variable aperture STM...for US$1700.
24-240mm isn't cheap enough for new comers and STM is used with adapter (as a temporary solution). And that 24-105 STM option isn't in Europe (at least I haven't seen yet).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm sure these would be fantastic lenses but I am still expecting reasonably priced lenses from Canon for RF. It seems Canon is playing a fantasy game with RF lenses now.
The post says these are EF lens mount. Canon Rumors Guy is speculating that they could become RF, but that's just his opinion. Tilt-shift is a niche market. Keeping these lenses EF, which means they could be mounted on any Canon body makes more sense.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
The post says these are EF lens mount. Canon Rumors Guy is speculating that they could become RF, but that's just his opinion. Tilt-shift is a niche market. Keeping these lenses EF, which means they could be mounted on any Canon body makes more sense.
It’s a niche market, but it’s a market that spends a lot of money. Higher priced products also have higher profit margins. I can see advantages to these lenses in the R mount.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It’s a niche market, but it’s a market that spends a lot of money. Higher priced products also have higher profit margins. I can see advantages to these lenses in the R mount.

What would be the advantages? EF mount would still work perfectly with the Canon R series, while also working with existing DLSRs and even M bodies. If the lenses are RF, they can only work on R bodies, which means no sales beyond the small percentage of Canon users who have an R body.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
24-240mm isn't cheap enough for new comers and STM is used with adapter (as a temporary solution). And that 24-105 STM option isn't in Europe (at least I haven't seen yet).
What is the estimated cost of the RF 24-240? I must have missed that in the announcement. But certainly it would be higher than I’d expect for a 24-105 with a similar variable aperture. On the other hand, there are certainly budget options for R/RP buyers via the adapter. Given the ongoing contraction at the low end of the ILC market, Canon may have more interest in delivering for the higher-end enthusiast and pro crowd. There’s a big step in going from APS-C to FF in terms of system cost, and Canon already has the crop market covered with the M line. Moving the R line more upmarket makes some sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
What would be the advantages? EF mount would still work perfectly with the Canon R series, while also working with existing DLSRs and even M bodies. If the lenses are RF, they can only work on R bodies, which means no sales beyond the small percentage of Canon users who have an R body.

The advantage is that people have an irrational hatred of adapters, even when they work flawlessly.

Upvote 0