Status
Not open for further replies.

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Re: Patents: New 50mm, 85mm & 135mm Lenses

Dylan777 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
135 f/2.0 with IS would be awesome ... if they do release it, I hope Canon goes easy on its pricing.

RLPhoto will like this rumor. He might wait for BigValue sale though ;D
;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com

Rienzphotoz said:
Dylan777 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
135 f/2.0 with IS would be awesome ... if they do release it, I hope Canon goes easy on its pricing.

RLPhoto will like this rumor. He might wait for BigValue sale though ;D
;D ;D ;D

:|

Its in consideration.

Upvote 0

Hope we will finally get a 50mm thats good (not perfect) at everything. At the moment i feel the choice with 50mm lenses is not about the aperture but more about which negative aspects im willing to accept. With all other lenses im looking for the advantage im gaining but not with the 50s.... Feels wrong to me.

Upvote 0

dilbert said:
The mechanics are interesting.

The 50/1.4 is 37mm longer than the current 50/1.4.
The 85/1.8 is 45mm longer than the current 85/1.8.

That'll change how well they fit in various people's camera bags but I suppose this is what's required to add image stabilisation to each of these lenses.

Im not shure that "length of the lens" means the physical length of the real lens assembly - I think it is the length between front surface and the image plane. The values you have calculated are in the region of the flange-sensorplane-distance ...

I have made a simple overlay of the cut views of the current 1.4/50 and the proposed (in the patent) lens. Both scaled to the aperture which should be similar.

I do not see any dramatic difference between both - no IS elements, no retrofocus scheme - just small changes which allow to introduce additional lenses to correct aberrations. So it will not be a reincarnation of the Carl Zeiss 1.4 55mm ...

Best, Michael

Upvote 0

I'd love to see new 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, and 100mm f2, I think there is still some improvement margin on these lenses; however if the 135mm has no IS, I don't really see the point, except for weather sealing. Optics, USM, focusing distance are already top notch.

Would be nice as well to revamp the 20mm 2.8 and 28mm 1.8, as well as to get a modern 50-60mm macro, in order to get a more comprehensible optic range; old style micro motor (50mm macro, 135mm SF), gold ring (20, 28, 50, 85, 100mm), silver ring (24, 28, 35mm IS) and red ring (L lenses), is a bit uneven.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

distant.star said:
Rienzphotoz said:

Your hopes will be dashed!! It will double in price from the current version, for sure.

I agree with DS... "If" Canon produces a 135mm f/1.8 with IS it will have a hefty price based on their current upgrade pricing policies... I think a 135mm f/2 IS is more realistic and even that will carry a heavy price for admittance. No doubt! I do not own the current 135mm, but most photographers wax poetic about its abilities...so if an update is made I would expect conservative Canon to make it an incremental update, nothing big and splashy....but ya never know.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com

tron said:
candyman said:
RLPhoto said:
If the New 135L is non-IS, fail.

And no f/1.8 too :mad:
May I ask if you have anything against a wonderful f/2.0 aperture ? 8)
Actually I forgot to put sarcasm quotes referring to RLphoto's remark. He repeatedly mentioned in other threads that he is dreaming / wishing for a 135mm f/1.8
Personally I like f/2 but would love to have IS. Currently the non-IS is around 1000 euro. The IS will probably 1,5 the current price. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.