Peak Design Donates 100% of Profits From its 4-Day Travel Tripod Launch for COVID-19 Response and Combating Climate Change

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Peak Design, the worldwide leader in crowdfunding and everyday carry solutions, has announced it will donate 100% of profits from all Travel Tripods sold during the company’s highly anticipated launch, April 7, through April 10, 2020. Profits will include both sales of tripods through PeakDesign.com and through retailers worldwide. Funds generated by the launch will be donated to the CDC Foundation to support their efforts on the front-lines of COVID-19 response, and to Climate Neutral, an organization that helps businesses from all industries verifiably achieve carbon neutrality.
Check out the Peak Design Travel Tripod
Peak Design depends on a global network of partners to ensure their products are safely manufactured and delivered. The launch of the Travel Tripod is an opportunity for Peak Design to continue to financially support their colleagues while helping to address two global crises. “Now more than ever is the time for us to act on...

Continue reading...

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
...sold during the company’s highly anticipated launch, April 7, through April 10, 2020.

Err....isn't this a little bit late, seeing that it is Mid - May right now....?

;)
No, it just means the had to consider very carefully if they can part with that money already earned and then try to fit the amount they were willing to donate to match some prior period for a tidy headline.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nice offer, though A bit late. But for three days? So they sell what, 30 tripods during that time? More a publicity stunt than anything else.

If you actually read the post you are responding to, you'll know they sold 2265 tripods during this period. That's a bit more than 30, I think.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
$350 and $600 for the carbon option when it costs probably no more than $50 for 9 small 3k tubes is insane. Then again, they found 2200+ suckers to take the bait. SMH.
I don't know what their manufacturing costs are but comparing that basic number to the retail price never works and makes one sound like a coffee shop liberal arts grad student. As if the engineers designed it without drawing a salary, etc. If you take "it only costs that much to produce" to the extreme, might as well complain that since the airplane was going there anyway your ticket should only cost the 25 cents for the can of soda you got.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I don't know what their manufacturing costs are but comparing that basic number to the retail price never works and makes one sound like a coffee shop liberal arts grad student. As if the engineers designed it without drawing a salary, etc. If you take "it only costs that much to produce" to the extreme, might as well complain that since the airplane was going there anyway your ticket should only cost the 25 cents for the can of soda you got.

This. So much this.

I mean, I will never spend that type of money on a tripod like that; not that I'm opposed to spending money on tripods (I have 2 Gitzos, and a RRS), but I'd never spend that type of money on that level of stability. The gimmick to me is the notion that a tripod like this is really suitable for very much. I travel with a RRS TVC-34 level of tripod, or nothing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
The gimmick to me is the notion that a tripod like this is really suitable for very much. I travel with a RRS TVC-34 level of tripod, or nothing.
I recently went on a hike that involved carrying food for several days walking and involved crossing a couple of quite high passes. So weight was important. I took my Eos R and EF 24-105 L plus a Sirui T-025X carbon travel tripod. The little Sirui weighs 870g and enabled landscape astro photos and long exposure riverscapes that would have been impossible otherwise. My 2kg Manfrotto carbon 290XL stayed home.

Upvote 0
I recently went on a hike that involved carrying food for several days walking and involved crossing a couple of quite high passes. So weight was important. I took my Eos R and EF 24-105 L plus a Sirui T-025X carbon travel tripod. The little Sirui weighs 870g and enabled landscape astro photos and long exposure riverscapes that would have been impossible otherwise. My 2kg Manfrotto carbon 290XL stayed home.

Of course we each have our own levels of acceptability. I have had a few Sirui products and pretty much hate all of them, mostly because of the ridiculously narrow leg angles.

If you're in anything but perfect conditions I find it really hard to believe that the Sirui would be suitable for astro extended to any sort of meaningful length. I'm curious at what height you used the Sirui? Could you of gotten the same shots with a gorilla pod?

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
What's worse?

Doing something good, but only a little bit.

Or

Doing nothing, and criticizing those who do something?

The world, of course, isn't black and white like that. But in these times, I feel like we can appreciate everybody who puts their money out there.
Well, if its a publicity stunt, I’d rather they didn’t do anything. And how do you know that someone criticizing them has done nothing?

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
It also sounds like a redneck with no education.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Of course we each have our own levels of acceptability. I have had a few Sirui products and pretty much hate all of them, mostly because of the ridiculously narrow leg angles.

If you're in anything but perfect conditions I find it really hard to believe that the Sirui would be suitable for astro extended to any sort of meaningful length. I'm curious at what height you used the Sirui? Could you of gotten the same shots with a gorilla pod?
I sawed the central tube that holds the head to half the length to increase stability yet allowed the tripod to reverse fold efficiently. If there is little or no wind, the tripod is extended all the way. The astro images with the Eos R with 24-105 show no signs of camera shake, even when slight star trails are visible.
Although I have never used a Gorilla Pod, when I have manipulated them in stores, they do not seem very stable, certainly not as stable as the Sirui. I hiked the length of the Swiss Alps a few years ago and took an M3 and the 12-22 and 55-200 zooms, with a Manfrotto table tripod because weight was really critical. I wouldn't consider a Gorilla Pod.
My day to day tripod is my large Manfrotto carbon 290XL but I don't take it on serious hikes.
My point is that there is a role for well made, small carbon tripods.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

rwvaughn

Live in the moment.
Mar 22, 2016
Southern Indiana, USA
Having participated in the Capture kickstart I was intrigued by the idea of it being small and versatile. Upon receipt I used it for several weeks with a 5D3 and 70-200mm kit. Never really trusted it to securely hold the plate in the capture clip. It needed design changes. Then the V2 kickstart happened and it had looked like they addressed my concerns. Looks didn't hold true to my concerns once I had it in hand. They both are in the gadget drawer of regretted purchases. While the Peak Design tripod looks neat I can't help but think if I bought it that it would be another gadget that I soon would regret. I've got two carbon fiber sets of legs that I'm very happy with; that are light, and that I'm comfortable using to support my gear. They also didn't cost near as much as $600.

Upvote 0
I've bought the Travel Tripod (and a bunch of other PD gear too). It's does what it says on the box: great for travel. We go overseas at least once a year, my previous tripod took up a chunk of space in a suitcase, but this one is much smaller and lighter. And that means I'm more likely to take it with me. Is it as sturdy as the best in the business? No, but that's not why you buy it.

Yes, it costs a bit more. But my wife likes to remind me that whenever I go cheap I invariably whinge about quality so I should have bought what I wanted in the first place!

The other thing about PD is they stand by their products. A couple of years ago we were visiting SF so I decided to head into their store. Before even talking about their stuff, the guy sees we have the first generation slings and immediately swaps them for the new generation for free.

I might sound like an evangelist but I'm not. I love reading about other people's experiences with different brands, I love looking up reviews and videos to see how they perform and I think that lots of brands out there trying different things is good (even if it feeds into my Gear Acquisition Syndrome). If you find something that fits your needs, good on you. The PD Travel Tripod does that for me (for now!!).

Upvote 0