Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
distant.star said:
infared said:
American Diner

I sure miss seeing your work, Bob!!

Shot that out at a diner in Frackville, PA. I get goose bumps every time I go in there. Place is spotless, perfectly maintained, people are real and the food is simple and cheap! It was 6:30 AM I was havin breakfast on my way to a photo-shooting day. Left my Canon in the car....used my Oylmpus E-p5 w/VF4 & Olympus 12mm f/2... Killer street shooter, puts the "M" to shame IMHO...can I post that here! LOL! I call it my "poor-man's Leica"! I would love for Canon to make a killer mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
AcutancePhotography said:
Logan said:
couple of my boss working.

A boss working? Admit it, you photoshopped that!! ;D

hahaha you have to be quick! we dont have a ton of staff (me, the machinist, the boss, the accountant) so if he wants 2 things welded at once i need more arms or he has to suit up.

I havent taken many pictures of people at work like IslanderMV has, im usually taking pictures of things i have made, and i always ask, unless it hasn't been delivered yet. I took some pictures and video of a truck driver hung up on a ramp, he thought it was pretty funny he didn't care I was taking pictures. I would never take pictures of someone working if they didn't want me to, you could do alot of damage or cost someone alot of money with what you thought was a harmless picture. I often offer to share my pictures with the business to keep everyone happy. Sometimes small business owners (like that charming cafe above) are really stoked to get a picture. Lots of them have no time/ability to get pictures of themselves or their staff at work, and sometimes you can get some great perks and meet some interesting people.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
arjay said:
We had no power all day yesterday while these guys worked.

Is that crane really reaching over a block of houses to put a pole in the next street? thats crazy! why didn't they just drive the crane down the other road?? Cool pictures, we dont see guys using spurs to do hydro work around here very often, its all cherry pickers. I will try and get a picture of the offroad bucket truck next time I see it, its based on a skidder I think, crashes through the bush to maintain the high tension lines.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2012
Serious question: Have you had any bad experiences taking pictures of people working? I imagine that some workers might object.
I shot these from our porch (front porch and back porch) not much they could say... struck up a conversation with the linesman in the yellow shirt, traded e-mail and I sent him a couple pics.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2012
Logan said:
arjay said:
We had no power all day yesterday while these guys worked.

Is that crane really reaching over a block of houses to put a pole in the next street? thats crazy! why didn't they just drive the crane down the other road?? ...

the "next street over" is actually railroad track, they did not have access

Upvote 0
Serious question: Have you had any bad experiences taking pictures of people working? I imagine that some workers might object.

A presumption of "bad experience"? That speaks volumes. My easy answer is that if you're afraid of people or don't get along easily, don't take pictures of people. Get a good macro and live among the flowers.

With all the snappers around, this world is growing more photo resistant by the day. I'm going to do a separate post about that with a photo from last weekend. Anyway, working people, at least in this country in my experience are so badly treated and regarded, they generally fear what pictures will probably mean. They presume it can't be good. Is it someone who's going to call their company and complain? Has the boss sent someone out to document what they're doing, or not doing? Is it union related -- for or against? Is it OSHA or some other meddling government agency threatening their job? Is it a reporter putting their picture in the paper or on the Internet? Did a lawyer send them out related to some court case? They've got enough to worry about already and mostly just want to do their work and go home and have a beer. So, naturally, they're going to be curious. It's only going to be trouble if you as a photographer make trouble.

I always start shooting unannounced. Eventually someone in the work group will approach me, and I'm glad to talk. I want to alleviate any fear and put them at ease. That's why I always carry my "Who the hell are you?" card -- what people in the commercial world call a "business card." Like arjay, I offer to send them pictures, and my photo site is listed on the card so they can go look at the pictures if they like. That keeps things calm, and they can work and I can take pictures. In some instances you get to meet really interesting people.

There was a guy working on high-voltage power lines nearby. His home was several states from here, and he was working 12-hour days, six days a week. He was living here in an RV, and he owned a plane he used to take himself home on his day off. A railroad runs past my home, and I always go out to take pictures of the train going by. My main interest is the boxcar graffiti. After a year or so, the guys running the train stopped one day, got out of the train and asked why I was always taking pictures. They were really nice guys, just curious. When I told them it was for the graffiti, they said, "Oh, we'll have to find you some better boxes."

Here's a bus driver. He asked me to take his picture as I was getting on the bus. One of my first with the Sigma 35 Art [f/2.8, 1/125 @ ISO 100 on 5D3] in April 2012.

977A5968-L.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
distant.star said:

A presumption of "bad experience"? That speaks volumes. My easy answer is that if you're afraid of people or don't get along easily, don't take pictures of people. Get a good macro and live among the flowers.

With all the snappers around, this world is growing more photo resistant by the day. I'm going to do a separate post about that with a photo from last weekend. Anyway, working people, at least in this country in my experience are so badly treated and regarded, they generally fear what pictures will probably mean. They presume it can't be good. Is it someone who's going to call their company and complain? Has the boss sent someone out to document what they're doing, or not doing? Is it union related -- for or against? Is it OSHA or some other meddling government agency threatening their job? Is it a reporter putting their picture in the paper or on the Internet? Did a lawyer send them out related to some court case? They've got enough to worry about already and mostly just want to do their work and go home and have a beer. So, naturally, they're going to be curious. It's only going to be trouble if you as a photographer make trouble.

I always start shooting unannounced. Eventually someone in the work group will approach me, and I'm glad to talk. I want to alleviate any fear and put them at ease. That's why I always carry my "Who the hell are you?" card -- what people in the commercial world call a "business card." Like arjay, I offer to send them pictures, and my photo site is listed on the card so they can go look at the pictures if they like. That keeps things calm, and they can work and I can take pictures. In some instances you get to meet really interesting people.

There was a guy working on high-voltage power lines nearby. His home was several states from here, and he was working 12-hour days, six days a week. He was living here in an RV, and he owned a plane he used to take himself home on his day off. A railroad runs past my home, and I always go out to take pictures of the train going by. My main interest is the boxcar graffiti. After a year or so, the guys running the train stopped one day, got out of the train and asked why I was always taking pictures. They were really nice guys, just curious. When I told them it was for the graffiti, they said, "Oh, we'll have to find you some better boxes."

Here's a bus driver. He asked me to take his picture as I was getting on the bus. One of my first with the Sigma 35 Art [f/2.8, 1/125 @ ISO 100 on 5D3] in April 2012.

[im]http://wetracy.smugmug.com/People/Working/i-GTVqffX/0/L/977A5968-L.jpg[/im]

business cards sound like a good idea. saves some time and makes you look more legit, and its alot easier than scibbling down their email on a piece of paper which then gets lost in your camera bag (my technique lol). I work on some proprietary stuff that I would not let people take pictures of, and do some sketchy stuff that i also don't want pictures of. obviously if its out in public and passerby can see, then theres not much reason to get worked up about it. have had to chase off several photographers trying to take pictures of a customers equipment while it was in our possesion, due to some kind of bank trouble.

here's one, the forester is showing the heli crew where the trees she wants cut are. big day, testing a brand new invention.

Attachments

• 20140408-20140408-IMG_1495.jpg
    20140408-20140408-IMG_1495.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I have never had a problem photographing people.... you ask first :) If they say yes, go for it!, if they say no, just say thanks and move on....

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear friends.
Here are the Photos of People at work-------Sorry, The first Photo is from the real PRO, Photographer.
Enjoy.
Surapon

Attachments

• PW-1.jpg
    PW-1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 512
  • PW-2.jpg
    PW-2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 225
  • PW-3.jpg
    PW-3.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 237
  • PW-4.jpg
    PW-4.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 233
  • PW-5.jpg
    PW-5.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
I have never had a problem photographing people.... you ask first :) If they say yes, go for it!, if they say no, just say thanks and move on....

I always like to ask first. I know that I don't like it when people take my picture with out letting me know, so I assume other people may not like it too.

Of course these days, if you take a picture of a person you are automatically a stalker/creep and if you take a picture of a building/structure you are a terrorist. (facepalm)

Upvote 0