PetaPixel poops on the 6D2 sensor

Jul 21, 2010
[quote author=PetaPixel]
With a competitor like Sony dominating sensor quality tests in recent years and keeping its best sensors for its own cameras, Canon may need to up its game in a big way if it hopes to stay #1 in digital camera market share, especially among serious and professional photographers. In dynamic range, at least, this new 6D Mark II was not a step in the right direction.
[/quote]

YAPODFC. ::)

I guess he's missed the fact that 'with a competitor like Sony dominating sensor quality tests in recent years', Canon has continued to gain market share in recent years. But hey, why let reality poke it's ugly nose into your personal fantasyland?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
neuroanatomist said:
[quote author=PetaPixel]
With a competitor like Sony dominating sensor quality tests in recent years and keeping its best sensors for its own cameras, Canon may need to up its game in a big way if it hopes to stay #1 in digital camera market share, especially among serious and professional photographers. In dynamic range, at least, this new 6D Mark II was not a step in the right direction.

YAPODFC. ::)

I guess he's missed the fact that 'with a competitor like Sony dominating sensor quality tests in recent years', Canon has continued to gain market share in recent years. But hey, why let reality poke it's ugly nose into your personal fantasyland?
[/quote]

That doesn't mean that wedding photographers are not migrating to Nikon. Anecdotes do not a landslide make, but big market changes can start with small moves.

It's tiresome to hear the same overblown doomsday rants, but at some point it makes as much sense to not engage as it does to keep saying Canon is the invulnerable, eternal market leader because they never make mistakes.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
but at some point it makes as much sense to not engage as it does to keep saying Canon is the invulnerable, eternal market leader because they never make mistakes.

No one is saying this. Many of us are just stating basic facts: Canon continues to succeed in the marketplace. We can speculate as to why, but we know that falling behind in low-ISO DR has not hurt them at all. In the end, DSLRs are unitary products, you can't select which features you want. You buy it or you don't buy it; ranting about it does nothing. I have yet to decide whether I'll buy this body.

Upvote 0
I believe Canon keeps its market share because of its lenses, and most folks want to buy the same camera and lens. How many want to go thru the hassle of buying one camera brand and a different lens, and then hope it is compatible on all levels ... Not everyone is tech smart enough to modify or manipulate camera and lens tech.

The majority of buyers are not pros, they are Jon and Jean Public ... they want a camera and lens that comes with no hassles, fits without adapters, and shoots memories. And many people today buy a walkaround lens and a telephoto lens, at least.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Orangutan said:
YuengLinger said:
but at some point it makes as much sense to not engage as it does to keep saying Canon is the invulnerable, eternal market leader because they never make mistakes.

No one is saying this. Many of us are just stating basic facts: Canon continues to succeed in the marketplace. We can speculate as to why, but we know that falling behind in low-ISO DR has not hurt them at all. In the end, DSLRs are unitary products, you can't select which features you want. You buy it or you don't buy it; ranting about it does nothing. I have yet to decide whether I'll buy this body.

I suspect a few more small numbers of users would have drifted to ABC if Canon did not bring out the 5d4 and 80d when they did. Or not improve the noise character of the 7D2

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
monkey44 said:
I believe Canon keeps its market share because of its lenses, and most folks want to buy the same camera and lens. How many want to go thru the hassle of buying one camera brand and a different lens, and then hope it is compatible on all levels ... Not everyone is tech smart enough to modify or manipulate camera and lens tech.

The majority of buyers are not pros, they are Jon and Jean Public ... they want a camera and lens that comes with no hassles, fits without adapters, and shoots memories. And many people today buy a walkaround lens and a telephoto lens, at least.

Reasonable points.
Canon has always been good at marketing to the entry level and many of those buyers do not go on much farther in the purchase or upgrade cycle.

I sold an old 50mm lens to someone last week who was still perfectly happy shooting their old Rebel XT.
It was good enough for what they wanted.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Or download the files and process them optimally and see how good or bad it actually is. No, why would we do that when we can spend so much time shouting at each other?

Anyway, I know half of you will pull this to pieces but....

1st shot. So here is a crop of the 100iso shot from the 6D MkII vs the D750 both lifted 5 stops, and it's link.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3416153698/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range

2nd shot. I downloaded the 6D MkII file and processed it close to optimally and this is the result. I took five minutes to do this, given a few hours I could do better and work out profiles for each iso and lift amount that could be saved as presets in LR.

You cannot apply the same 'standard' settings to different cameras and say look at the differences. You have to process each file optimally!

When you do you get very different results. When will people stop eating this sh!t up?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 9.17.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 9.17.18 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 258
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 9.31.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 9.31.49 PM.png
    557.2 KB · Views: 2,160
Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Aglet said:
I suspect a few more small numbers of users would have drifted to ABC if Canon did not bring out the 5d4 and 80d when they did. Or not improve the noise character of the 7D2

I'm not sure how to respond to this. On one hand I want to ask for your evidence that proves folks were leaving Canon before the release of these products, and thus they (5D4, 80D, 7D2) saved them. I also want to point out how Canon stuck their 18 MP APS-C sensor in every crop camera they made for like a 5 year period, yet folks kept buying them.

On the other hand, I want to argue that your whole point boils down to a very generic, general statement that could really be applied to any company, probably in any industry where tech advancements manner. Like this, "If company ABC didn't continue to release next generation products as technology allowed, customers may have moved on to a competitor."

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
monkey44 said:
...The majority of buyers are not pros, they are Jon and Jean Public ... they want a camera and lens that comes with no hassles, fits without adapters, and shoots memories...

The majority of pros want a camera and lens that comes with no hassles, fits without adapters and shoots whatever the client needs shot.

Hardly any pros care about the small differences in dynamic range that so many people on this forum obsess over.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
privatebydesign said:
Or download the files and process them optimally and see how good or bad it actually is. No, why would we do that when we can spend so much time shouting at each other?

1st shot. So here is a crop of the 100iso shot from the 6D MkII vs the D750 both lifted 5 stops, and it's link.

2nd shot. I downloaded the 6D MkII file and processed it close to optimally and this is the result. I took five minutes to do this, given a few hours I could do better and work out profiles for each iso and lift amount that could be saved as presets in LR.

You cannot apply the same 'standard' settings to different cameras and say look at the differences. You have to process each file optimally!

When you do you get very different results. When will people stop eating this sh!t up?

OK. So I have to ask?... did you download and optimally process the D750 file also?..
(I suspect you did not and from the look of the pushed sample, likely did not need to)

So the points I'm trying to make are:

- if you optimize the processing for Canon and an ABC body... does the gap in final IQ at least narrow enough to make it worth the effort?

- I don't even want to spend 5 seconds in post if I can avoid it and I do that by starting with a cleaner file

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Aglet said:
So the points I'm trying to make are:

- if you optimize the processing for Canon and an ABC body... does the gap in final IQ at least narrow enough to make it worth the effort?

- I don't even want to spend 5 seconds in post if I can avoid it and I do that by starting with a cleaner file

- Optimized the Nikon is better, but not by enough to worry me for the occasions I need to globally push files by a true 5 stops.

- If you learn your craft and don't stubbornly stay in M mode because you think that's what pro's do you don't need to spend any time in post. I have never had a camera in any auto mode come close to five stops under exposed. The example is entirely artificial but if I needed to save an image I had underexposed by five stops I'd look for a new job knowing the 6D MkII is better than me anyway.....

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
privatebydesign said:

Did you run any noise reduction?

Upvote 0