PetaPixel poops on the 6D2 sensor

BillB said:
Isaacheus said:
neuroanatomist said:
jester73 said:
I have a clear analogy of the situation with the sensor 6d mark 2:
If the 5d4 sensor is the original Canon sensor of the last generation, then the sensor 6d mark 2 is like a "Chinese fake", as Canon claims to use the most advanced sensor available. Regardless of how much it is worse than the original, or how much it justifies its price, or how many people will buy a camera with such a sensor, it remains a "fake".
And on any serious trading platform sellers of fakes will be banned for the sale of fakes.
If someone wants to sell sensors of the previous generation, then do not talk about the last generation, and do not deceive customers.

The analogy for the 6D → 6DII sensor is the 5DII → 5DIII upgrade. The sensor was basically the same ('if it ain't broke, don't fix it), pretty much everything else got a major performance bump.

I'm not so sure everything got an upgrade though; it really looks like all that's improved is the af (both stills and video) , screen and fps. The sensor has a small resolution bump, but otherwise is the same tech, and the video quality has been downgraded from the looks.

I was under the impression the 5d2 to 5d3 added quite a bit more, dual cards, better video, headphone jack etc. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

My opinion at this stage is that the 6d 2 is an improvement overall, but for the cost, it really fell short of the potential camera it really could have been.

Sensor is not "otherwise the same tech". Dual pixel, phase detect AF in Liveview and touchscreen focussing are major changes in technology, at least in my opinion.

Ah yes, you're quite correct, and those additions are really good (I mean, imagine the outrage if it didn't even get dual pixel...). I had meant the same tech as the original in the iq sense of the sensor, where the other three feel more in the af side of things. The dual raw pixel that the 5dmk4 has may have been interesting to help with the highlights (from rumors I've heard at least) but I can't see any mention of it being included in the 6dmk2

I have seen some initial reviews showing the resolution bump can be fairly noticeable from the 6d, which is great. Unfortunately, as I was hoping for a lighter ff landscape camera with a tilt screen, the lack of dr improvement is a real bummer to me.

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
Khalai said:
Sporgon said:
Aglet said:
Sold another high end EF-S lens last nite. Only a little more to go to be as Canon-free as I'd like. :)

I was just wondering.......

When you're totally Canon-free does that mean CR will become Aglet-free ? ;)

Never. Remember, he has to continually persuade every Canon heathen to convert to the only righeous way of supreme DReligion :)

That's right. :) I'm here as the voice of pro-choice.

Who, exactly, has expressed the opinion that people shouldn't choose whatever camera system they prefer?

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
LonelyBoy said:
Aglet said:
Khalai said:
Sporgon said:
Aglet said:
Sold another high end EF-S lens last nite. Only a little more to go to be as Canon-free as I'd like. :)

Never. Remember, he has to continually persuade every Canon heathen to convert to the only righeous way of supreme DReligion :)

Who, exactly, has expressed the opinion that people shouldn't choose whatever camera system they prefer?

According to Aglet, people should choose camera HE heavily prefers in a single metric performance :D

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
LonelyBoy said:
Aglet said:
Khalai said:
Sporgon said:
Aglet said:

According to Aglet, people should choose camera HE heavily prefers in a single metric performance :D

It's funny; this whole holy war of camera brands seems to only exist online. I have friends who shoot Nikon and Sony (as well as Canon), and the only thing we talk about (well, photography-related) is either technique or results. No one cares what the others shoot, except for specific tips or borrowing gear. No one whines about DR, or AF, or 4k, or card slots. At all. No one brags about them, either. It's only a thing here.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Isaacheus said:
neuroanatomist said:
jester73 said:
I have a clear analogy of the situation with the sensor 6d mark 2:
If the 5d4 sensor is the original Canon sensor of the last generation, then the sensor 6d mark 2 is like a "Chinese fake", as Canon claims to use the most advanced sensor available. Regardless of how much it is worse than the original, or how much it justifies its price, or how many people will buy a camera with such a sensor, it remains a "fake".
And on any serious trading platform sellers of fakes will be banned for the sale of fakes.
If someone wants to sell sensors of the previous generation, then do not talk about the last generation, and do not deceive customers.

The analogy for the 6D → 6DII sensor is the 5DII → 5DIII upgrade. The sensor was basically the same ('if it ain't broke, don't fix it), pretty much everything else got a major performance bump.

I'm not so sure everything got an upgrade though; it really looks like all that's improved is the af (both stills and video) , screen and fps. The sensor has a small resolution bump, but otherwise is the same tech, and the video quality has been downgraded from the looks.

I was under the impression the 5d2 to 5d3 added quite a bit more, dual cards, better video, headphone jack etc. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

My opinion at this stage is that the 6d 2 is an improvement overall, but for the cost, it really fell short of the potential camera it really could have been.

RGB+IR metering
Flicker reduction

If you've never shot sports under artificial lighting (or anything else under the kind of lights found in most gyms and most stadiums that don't host NBA, NFL, MLB, or major college teams in sports that are regularly televised), you have no idea how much those two are worth.

Particularly the flicker reduction. Not only does it time the shutter to release at the same point in the 100Hz/120Hz cycle such lights blink at, but it does so at the *peak* of each cycle. Not only do you get near uniform color and brightness from one frame to the next (and very little to no color shift from top to bottom of the frame), but you gain anywhere from 1/2 to a full stop of shutter speed where you need it the most!

Upvote 0