PetaPixel poops on the 6D2 sensor

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
rrcphoto said:
hbr said:
Remember a couple of years ago Canon was not happy with the sales of the original 6D and one of their executives said that the camera was going, "upscale."

that was a figment of your imagination.

or prove it.

Canon never stated anything about the sales of the 6D. Considering amazon rankings, the 6D sold quite well in the US.

Check out http://www.canonrumors.com/eos-6d-mark-ii-to-move-upmarket-cr1/. I don't tell lies!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
hbr said:
rrcphoto said:
hbr said:
Remember a couple of years ago Canon was not happy with the sales of the original 6D and one of their executives said that the camera was going, "upscale."

or prove it.

Canon never stated anything about the sales of the 6D. Considering amazon rankings, the 6D sold quite well in the US.

Check out http://www.canonrumors.com/eos-6d-mark-ii-to-move-upmarket-cr1/. I don't tell lies!

So are you suggesting that the content of a CR1 rumor posted on a site unaffiliated with Canon somehow represents a statement by Canon? :eek:

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
neuroanatomist said:
hbr said:
rrcphoto said:
hbr said:

or prove it.

So are you suggesting that the content of a CR1 rumor posted on a site unaffiliated with Canon somehow represents a statement by Canon? :eek:

No, I just posted that link as it was the first one I found that showed that I wasn't making things up, If my memory serves me correctly, I originally read this on another site that was conducting an interview with one of the Canon execs.
The point is not worth arguing over. I'm not going to search for the interview.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
hbr said:
No, I just posted that link as it was the first one I found that showed that I wasn't making things up, If my memory serves me correctly, I originally read this on another site that was conducting an interview with one of the Canon execs.
The point is not worth arguing over. I'm not going to search for the interview.

Fair enough. Just understand that 'it's not worth arguing over and I'm too lazy to back up my claims' is easily interpreted as 'I just make this crap up as I go along'.

Upvote 0
hbr said:
scyrene said:
hbr said:

The problem is that Canon went back to the thinking that this would be just an "enthusiast's" camera. Therefore they did not leave a good upgrade path for the people who bought the original and Canon decided that a few "gimmicks" would sell the camera to enough first time buyers to make the upgrade from APS-C worthwhile. This is the first time that I know of that Canon went backwards. Not the first they used gimmicks when they had no good sensor upgrade to offer. Secondly, one of the things that also helped the sales of the original was when a lot of professionals started to buy it as a cheaper second camera. That meant a lot of wedding photographers bought it. I realize that Canon does not consider the 6 series to be professional grade so, therefore, did not put in a second card slot. I think that had they done that, a lot of wedding photographers would buy the upgrade, (they still might, but won't be happy about it).

I wonder if Canon has pissed off the 4k crowd, (I think Canon still does not have a good working 4k system), and pissed off the wedding photographers and pissed off the purchasers of the original 6D if this version will be as good of a success as the first one.

I am in the pissed off crowd that is very unhappy about the lack of innovation this time around, but after a lot of agonizing have decided to buy one as the other features will help me with my style of photography,

Very sad, Canon

Brian

"Gimmicks"? "Lack of innovation"? They improved pretty much everything (notably autofocus and the addition of an articulating screen - both high on people's wish lists, from what we can gather from forum talk) except apparently this minor aspect of sensor design (and arguably adding a second slot). I think you've lost a bit of perspective.

scyrene, maybe I needed to elaborate a little more in my post. Firstly, I have pre-ordered the 6D II and as I said, I pretty much have decided to keep it due to the things you mention, but my agonizing has been whether to purchase the 5D III or the 6D II. I own both the 6D version 1 and the 7D II, and I even considered purchasing the 80D. Both of them are fantastic cameras and maybe I shouldn't upgrade.

The 80D would give me all the features of the 6D II, but IQ wise I believe the 6D is superior and the 7D II while not having the IQ of the newer 80D, it is by far a better camera.

The 5D III would give me the better focusing, speed and weather proofing over the 6D, but IQ wise I would not be much better off than what I already have. Plus If I want speed, the 7D II blows it out of the water.

I do want the increased resolution of the 6D II along with the better focusing and tilty flippy, but after 5 years of owning the 6D I expected a better sensor especially having the on chip ADC. IQ and signal to noise ratios are also very important to me.

Sony and Nikon seem to have much better sensors than Canon and Canon does not seem to catch up. For example, My sister in law owns the Nikon D7200 which is Nikon's equivalent to my 7d II. While the Canon is much more fun and easier to use, the IQ of the 7D II lags behind the D7200.

In the case of the 6D II there does not seem to be any innovation that I can see, The AF was already developed for other cameras. The tilty-flippy was already designed for other cameras. The touch screen had already been designed for other cameras. So it appears that Canon just cobbled together a few items from other cameras and along with a old style sensor, (although recently designed) put them all in the 6D II to save money. IQ is one of the reasons one purchases a FF camera over a crop sensor. If I was still into crop sensor cameras I would have purchased the 80D. If Canon is trying to protect their 5D IV then why were the original 6d and the 5D III so close to each other in the sensor performance. I am not the first one to say that Canon took a step backwards on the sensor design.

Anyway, yes, the 6D II is still a great camera and makes taking photos a lot easier than before, a lot of owners of the original 6D will not upgrade to the version II.

Sad

By your definition, what "innovation" would it be if they had included the on-chip ADC from the 5D4? After all, that was also already developed for other cameras. In fact, by your definition, how many actual innovations occur for just about any camera release from any manufacturer? It's not like the Sony and Nikon lines regularly come out with things not seen before on any other body. The only ones I'm aware of are on-chip ADC and dual-pixel. Everything else is derivative of previous technologies.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
Alejandro said:
Any news on writing speed from the UHS-1 slot?

And small question: We can write 4k video on the current UHS-1 speed, right?
The faster "UHS-I U3" cards can write video with 4K resolution.
Notice the difference between the maximum write speed and the maximum read speed.

So the good old sandisk extreme pro are more than enough?
Anything above 80mb/s is enough? Im thinking out loud because many said the UHS-1 wasn't enough for 4k video. (Digic 7 is more than capable of handling it).

Upvote 0
Alejandro said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Alejandro said:
Any news on writing speed from the UHS-1 slot?

And small question: We can write 4k video on the current UHS-1 speed, right?
The faster "UHS-I U3" cards can write video with 4K resolution.
Notice the difference between the maximum write speed and the maximum read speed.
So the good old sandisk extreme pro are more than enough?
Anything above 80mb/s is enough? Im thinking out loud because many said the UHS-1 wasn't enough for 4k video. (Digic 7 is more than capable of handling it).
There are different types of card speed measurement:

Maximum read speed (like anything above 80mb/s)
Maximum write speed (lower than read speed)
Minimum sustained write speed (much lower than the others)

The minimum sustained recording speed is the most important data for those who need to record video, and is usually hidden in the manufacturer's specification list. To reduce the labyrinth of acronyms and numbers, a velocity classification was already present on the label of models manufactured in 2017:

V6 (also called Class 6)
V10 (also called Class 10)
V30 (equivalent to Class 30)
V60 (equivalent to Class 60)
V90 (equivalent to Class 90)

Upvote 0
lgn55063 said:
Hi all
eventually I will be getting the Canon 70-200 F4L IS... I borrowed one... the pictures are good...

70-200 will not have enough reach on Full frame camera. Please also evaluate 70-300L which has a newer AF firmware comp to 70-200f4.
You will love the 70-300L and it also works perfectly on old 6D or 70D.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
OSOK said:
The 6d2 is taking a beating in all the reviews and youtube vidz. I'd wager this is the most poorly received Canon release ever.

Thanks for sharing, I just knew there had to be a reason the 6DII is the best-selling FF camera on amazon.com right now.

Neuro, we all know that release sales are not indicative of long term sales... almost every camera is #1 on release week..... wait a few months before bringing out that argument.

And yes, I expect that in three months, when things settle down, the 6D2 will be Canon's top selling FF DSLR.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
CanonGuy said:
I think, posts like this will be common in the coming days. Canon is just playing a dangerous game IMO (just saw this post in a local fb group)

HAHA! Maybe he's switching to Fuji. :)
I prefer to sell my Canon gear one piece at a time... get better return on it.
Sold another high end EF-S lens last nite. Only a little more to go to be as Canon-free as I'd like. :)

Now... let's watch to see how quickly street price of the 6d2 drops..

Upvote 0