Photo spots in or near Flagstaff, AZ

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I will be in Flagstaff July 27 & 28 with free time. Does anyone have tips for good spots to shoot? I would be interested in landscapes, wildlife, and interesting Route 66 sites.

Thank you in advance.

Scott
Hi Scott! I don't know what your driving tolerance is. There's always the Grand Canyon to the north, you'll run into some real nice Saguaro cactus towards Phoenix, but for my time I always liked traveling through the Navajo/Hopi Nation for shots of Ship Rock, etc. I'd enter at Tuba City. The whole area is beautiful in Northern Arizona and the desert is one that is very green between Flagstaff and Phoenix. I left Nevada a year ago. In Irving, TX. these days. You'll have a fun trip. Lots to see. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Scott.
We went to a couple of places sort of nearby to Flagstaff (about 1 1/4 hrs away by car), Jerome Az (old town and all that goes with), as long as it takes!
Verde Canyon Railroad a preserved line with preserved diesel tractive unit, we thoroughly enjoyed the trip on the train, some fabulous views with a narrated guide over the comm system. 4 hours over 20 miles.

Another excellent place was the Out of Africa experience, (wildlife park) a whole Day needed.

We also did the Blazin’ M ranch supper and stage show, a different experience for us with live Country and Western music and a fabulous atmosphere.
I don’t know if these are of any help.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Hi Scott! I don't know what your driving tolerance is. There's always the Grand Canyon to the north, you'll run into some real nice Saguaro cactus towards Phoenix, but for my time I always liked traveling through the Navajo/Hopi Nation for shots of Ship Rock, etc. I'd enter at Tuba City. The whole area is beautiful in Northern Arizona and the desert is one that is very green between Flagstaff and Phoenix. I left Nevada a year ago. In Irving, TX. these days. You'll have a fun trip. Lots to see. Good luck!

Hey Fanboy, and thanks. I will look into that.

We are neighbors. I am in Trophy Club, and work in Southlake, and Irving!

Scott

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Hi Scott.
We went to a couple of places sort of nearby to Flagstaff (about 1 1/4 hrs away by car), Jerome Az (old town and all that goes with), as long as it takes!
Verde Canyon Railroad a preserved line with preserved diesel tractive unit, we thoroughly enjoyed the trip on the train, some fabulous views with a narrated guide over the comm system. 4 hours over 20 miles.

Another excellent place was the Out of Africa experience, (wildlife park) a whole Day needed.

We also did the Blazin’ M ranch supper and stage show, a different experience for us with live Country and Western music and a fabulous atmosphere.
I don’t know if these are of any help.

Cheers, Graham.
Thanks Graham.

I'll check them all out now.

Scott

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Wow, so little input here, surely there are people closer to Flagstaff than me (in the UK) that could give better or more advice?

Cheers, Graham.
You get around. ;) I lived in the SW USA most of my life. Been through Flagstaff hundreds of times (really). Never heard of the "Out of Africa" experience. Huge country.

Upvote 0