Photoflex Closes Doors

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
It appears that Photoflex abruptly closed its doors (photoflex.com). I know it's April 1, but this doesn't seem to be something to joke about.

Apr 2, 2015
That would explain the "discontinued" notice on some of their products at B&H. I bought their Transpac single light case on super sale at Adorama the other day, probably clearing inventory. Hope they're just re-organizing, would be a shame to lose them.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
That's unfortunate. I have a couple of their MultiDiscs, they make made good stuff.

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
2mittsphotog said:
That would explain the "discontinued" notice on some of their products at B&H. I bought their Transpac single light case on super sale at Adorama the other day, probably clearing inventory. Hope they're just re-organizing, would be a shame to lose them.
I had my eye on the same case and noticed it was listed as discontinued on B&H last week. I have many of their umbrellas, reflector fabrics, stands, and a small softbox. Best umbrellas that I've found and at reasonable prices. Also, my best stands (but, not so cheap). They also offered great service. It would be a shame to lose them.

unfocused

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
Just echoing some of the comments here. I found their medium weight light stands and their backdrop kit to be very good quality – very sturdy for the money. Same was true for their light modifiers. Plus they had a great blog/newsletter on lighting tips.

ams2d

EOS M50
Aug 13, 2013
Sorry that is was no joke.

https://photoflex.com/

Seems they went bankrupt.

http://petapixel.com/2015/04/01/popular-lighting-gear-maker-photoflex-closing-shop-after-30-years-in-business/

Mt Spokane Photography

Mar 25, 2011
A victim to low cost Chinese Imports. As Chinese products get to be better quality, it going to happen more and more.

I have a fair amount of photoflex products, they are definitely good quality compared to the cheap import stuff.

I predict that the name will be bought by a investment company, and tacked onto Chinese Imports. That's the usual route.

neuroanatomist

Jul 21, 2010
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I predict that the name will be bought by a investment company, and tacked onto Chinese Imports. That's the usual route.
Guess now is the time to pick up anything from them we want, while the name is still associated with the reputation.

pwp

EOS 5D MK IV
Oct 25, 2010
Mt Spokane Photography said:
A victim to low cost Chinese Imports. As Chinese products get to be better quality, it going to happen more and more...
The April 1 timing gave me momentary hope. But yes, they're almost certainly a victim of low cost Chinese imports. My Photoflex lighting accessories were such a welcome breath of fresh air in the quality department. They replaced annoying, low cost, easily broken Chinese imports. So with Photoflex gone, I hope the void is filled with better quality imports. They are improving steadily.

-pw