Photographer preferes PS over Lightroom.

Aug 29, 2013
I've always used photoshop. I've tried lightroom and when it first came out, I really wanted to like it. It just wasn't cutting it for me. Today's lightroom is probably more like what I need it to be but after so many years, I just don't see the point in trying to figure out what's where and so forth. Photoshop works for me, I can make basic adjustments or go crazy with all the stuff it can do along with some plugins I have.
I've considered going to dxo over the years too. Trouble is, I can't find the time to install it and figure out how to make best use of it. Every time I get a slow run of things, I think I'll make a go of giving it a shot but then I've always got something else to do. I'll likely be a photoshop guy until I pack it in. At that point, I'll be shooting for fun and will have plenty of time to try new things.

Upvote 0
They are different programs. Lightroom is great for quick edits and events like weddings that require thousands of images to be sorted, rated and edited. For serious photo editing and manipulation though PS is the clear winner. I use both and I think that's the way they are intended to be used. Of course different people have different needs and might only want to use 1 program, not both.

Upvote 0
D. said:
IgotGASbadDude, to save a file as a TIFF in DPP select File, Convert and Save, and under the Save as Type drop down menu choose TIFF. Then proceed with the conversion. If you have DPP 4 the auto gamma adjustment feature is new and worth checking out.

SWEET! I knew there had to be a better way. Thanks! 8)

Upvote 0
LDS said:
You can thereby only open RAW files the version of Camera RAW supported by your version of PS can open. You can still try to convert them to DNG, if you like, and open them.

Thanks for the tip!n That's exactly how I've been functioning in PS before I tried DPP.

I've found it so much easier to just work in DPP without converting the files.

Upvote 0