Photography And Your People

I was thinking it may be fun finding out what everybody's spouse/family/partner/dependents think and know about your photography!

Here are the questions I thought I'd ask :D

1. Is your spouse/partner a photographer? If so, do you share kit/gear?
2. Does your spouse/partner allow you to take your gear with on vacations, a day out or to social events?
3. Does your partner know the real monetary value of your gear?
4. What do your family think about your photos?
5. Do your friends who have no interest in photography think you're overly obsessed?

Looking forwardd to seeing some replies :eek:

1. Currently single but my ex wasn't into photography and only shot with my Powershot once in a while

2. I was allowed a few min to do some photography and I was only allowed to take 1 image of any subject ;D

3. No. Even though we're not together anymore, she may never, ever know the truth!

4. They exhibit very little appreciation for my images but once in a while, they will tell their friends that I'm very good! Guess its the standard behaviour in my family :-\

5. My friends think I'm totally bonkers about photography and feel I spend too much of my free time taking photos. I get accused of choosing photography over people by both my friends and my family.

Well! That's my story! I'm very interested to hear some more war stories :p

Upvote 0
Photography is a hobby.

1. Spouse is not a photographer.
2. Yes, but serious landscape sessions are out of the question because a lot of the activities center around the kids. My kids now alert of things they want pictures of.
3. No. She's seen every piece of it but not all at once. :)
4. They like it enough that they print them and I've become the default photographer/historical documenter during family reunions, etc. They'd hire me for portraits and such but we're too far apart geographically. I do some stuff for local friends on the side from time to time.
5. No. They're generally relieved when they see I have my camera. The most appreciative are those on the my kids' soccer teams. I share the pics I take for free and use it as an icebreaker to get to know the kids/parents that our kids interact with. They get pics that they otherwise would not be able to get, and I get to practice and take pictures without restriction during the games, etc.

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
Sabaki said:
I was thinking it may be fun finding out what everybody's spouse/family/partner/dependents think and know about your photography!

2. Does your spouse/partner allow you to take your gear with on vacations, a day out or to social events?
5. Do your friends who have no interest in photography think you're overly obsessed?

1. Almost ex-spouse was never a photographer although she had an OM10 back in the days we met. Current partner becoming a keen photographer
2. I can always take kit with me now. Almost ex didn't like me having any interest in kit and was often "embarrassed" if I carried a camera with a decent lens!
3. My almost ex-spouse knows because she worked it out for the divorce, so therefore current partner knows!
4. My daughters hated it, my almost step daughters love it, the rest of the family is tolerant!
5. They let me get on with it!

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:

1. no.
2. yes, insists as "you take better photos that I do". but then most of my photos are of family.. If I do landscape I go out on my own.
3. ish.
4. produced 5 family calendars this year due to popular demand, must be doing something right, children seem very happy to have their photos on the walls.
5. I don't think I'm sufficiently obsessed to worry others too much... the astronomy's another matter though.

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:

1. NO, but I would share my gear if it were taken care of the way I care for it if she wanted to get into photography.
2. Oh yeah. Totally supports my photo addiction.
3. To some extent. She probably could identify the 3 camera bodies and their value, but not the lenses.
4. They love having a photographer in the family. Friends/coworkers also appreciate my work. 8)
5. Nope. They don't get why I'll spend $5K on a camera BODY, not including the lens, but never heard anything about "overly obsessed".

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:

Sounds like fun :)

I'm a hobbyist. I do make a living in the photography industry (sort of), but not by actually taking photos.

1. Yes, she's an avid hobbyist too.
2. Yup! She'll often take hers too.
3. Yup. I discuss purchases with her, and we end up sharing lenses (she owns a 100mm f/2.8 L which I'll nab sometimes). Other things like filter systems (Lee), tripods, etc we'll go half each on and make sure we both can use them.
4. They enjoy them. I make a yearly photo journal in print which is popular.
5. Nobody thinks I'm overly obsessed, and I'm not sure I'd be friends with people who would. We all have our hobbies and interests.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sabaki said:
Yes and Yes
Sabaki said:
Yes
Sabaki said:
Yes
Sabaki said:
They claim to like them.... :)
Sabaki said:
Yes

Upvote 0
Interesting question, looking forward to reading others responses. Here are mine:

1. Is your spouse/partner a photographer? If so, do you share kit/gear? No and No. I'm trying to talk her into a SL1 or M3 as a next camera, but she insist that her 10-year-old S3 IS point and shoot is good enough
2. Does your spouse/partner allow you to take your gear with on vacations, a day out or to social events? Most of the time she tolerates it. She likes many of the pictures but doesn't like it if the gear gets in the way or slows down family activities. I've learned to limit gear and lens changes on family outings to minimize the potential for conflict
3. Does your partner know the real monetary value of your gear? She has a rough idea
4. What do your family think about your photos? they like my landscapes and some of the portraits, overall I'd say they are largely indifferent however
5. Do your friends who have no interest in photography think you're overly obsessed? the ones who know how much time and money I really spend on the hobby think I'm obsessed. One friend recently ask why I messed around with all the heavy, expensive equipment when I could just take pictures with my iphone like everybody else

Upvote 0
bholliman said:
One friend recently ask why I messed around with all the heavy, expensive equipment when I could just take pictures with my iphone like everybody else[/color]

The death of skilled photography can be summed up in one word:

SELFIE :mad:

What are these kids going to have to look forward to when they are older? Pictures of themselves with one arm extended. ???

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:

No partner, but more broadly...
1. Nobody else in my family is a photographer. They have no interest in doing it. And I'd lend gear to trusted friends or relatives, but nobody eligible wants to, or would have any idea how to use a DSLR.
2. I choose when and where to take my gear. Sometimes it's requested (like a friend's wedding reception). Mostly it's how I feel - sometimes I don't want to be encumbered, so my phone has to do.
3. Nobody knows how much it cost, because it would boggle their minds. Also they'd worry about it getting stolen, etc. I prefer not to divulge it to anyone who doesn't already have a good idea :)
4. They like the photos I show them, but it's generally mild.
5. No. Friends have treated me as a source of advice (buying cameras etc), but it's not something I've let take over social situations.

Upvote 0
IgotGASbadDude said:
bholliman said:
One friend recently ask why I messed around with all the heavy, expensive equipment when I could just take pictures with my iphone like everybody else[/color]

The death of skilled photography can be summed up in one word:

SELFIE :mad:

What are these kids going to have to look forward to when they are older? Pictures of themselves with one arm extended. ???

Bore off. Sure there are lots of selfies, but there are lots of photos of EVERYTHING. Orders of magnitude more shots of every subject conceivable than even just a decade ago. Most of it is crap, but so what? Most photos from the film era were family snapshots or poorly composed and exposed from holidays or weddings. And they have value because they are of things that those people cared about. I actually wish there were a few more photos of me from my past. I always shied away from the camera (still do), so there's little record.

The death of skilled photography never happened. There are more skilled amateurs now than ever before. Or rather, the level of quality has gone up. Phone cameras have nothing to do with it (indeed one might argue that a phone camera, being the first imaging device many people get now, encourages some people into photography with dedicated devices, which can only be a good thing).

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Sounds like you upgraded your family.

rcarca said:
Sabaki said:

1. Almost ex-spouse was never a photographer although she had an OM10 back in the days we met. Current partner becoming a keen photographer
2. I can always take kit with me now. Almost ex didn't like me having any interest in kit and was often "embarrassed" if I carried a camera with a decent lens!
3. My almost ex-spouse knows because she worked it out for the divorce, so therefore current partner knows!
4. My daughters hated it, my almost step daughters love it, the rest of the family is tolerant!
5. They let me get on with it!

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Sabaki said:

No but she lets me take my gear whenever we go on trips. In fact most of our trips are centered around photo ops and she lets me spend as much time behind the camera as I want. She is a great sport. I tried to interest her and let her use my kit, but she isn't into it.

Yes. I always take both loves of my life with me.

No. We don't live together, and I keep that close to the cuff. She knows however that the gear is expensive. Of course if she wanted to, she could look it up on line.

My family thinks they are great. However, when I was a kid, they told me I was "special" too, so who knows.

No. They recognize it as passion, something they sorely lack in their lives.

sek

Upvote 0
She was not a photographer, but has started picking up one of my cameras when ever we go out birding. She is slowly starting to pick up.

Yes she does. She likes that I'm able to document things we do.

Yes she does. It's recently my biggest hobby, and I'm constantly talking about and purchasing items.

I would assume like everyone here, both their family and friends like their photos.

I don't think they believe I'm obsessed, but many think I don't make enough money through photography to justify the price of my gear. I simply explain that it was a hobby before a profession. Why does my income through photography have to justify the gear I have. I know alot of people who do "modifications" to the cars, as their hobby. I see money back from mine, they don't.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
Sabaki said:

1) No. has a compact camera.
2) Oh yes, as long as I carry it. She is disappointed that there is no more film or LF quick loads, because she does the film management. Still fills out the LF data sheets. She likes when I take macro nature shots to show what it really looks like on the LCD panel.
3) Yes. though, not even I know what it all adds up to ... DSLR, UW, LF, microscopes ... $$$$$
4) Supply all sort of greeting cards and wall mounted images for homes of all sorts of relatives. Although, they hang some upside down or sideways. Always have to restrain myself from "fixing" it.
5) Most everybody knows that I can take a picture. When I start talking about why I do it the way I do it, it's "O-kay --- whateveryousay, dude." So I learned not to talk about why a picture is cool.

Upvote 0
1. No, she's not.

2. Sure, she does. She's a little bored sometime while I take a photo here and there and mostly while I'm taking a 360x180 panoramic photos which take some time.

3. Nope :). But she knows it costs a lot.

4. They like the photos (none of them is a photographer), but they usually have to wait long to get them. But I'm not that often completely happy with the photos.

5. No.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Sabaki said:

1: No
2: No
3: NO
4: They are too expensive
5: Not with photography, but with horses yes.

Upvote 0