Canon Rebel level SLR - 1
Canon SLR of some sort (unknown model, hard to tell) - 1
Canon EOS R or RP - 1
Sony A7 or A9 of some sort (hard to tell) - 6
Sony A6xxxx level camera - 1
Nikon D5-ish-level SLR - 1
Nikon SLR of some sort (unknown model, hard to tell) - 1
Nikon FF Mirrorless of some sort - 1

But Sony continues to make inroads in the photojourno slot. Lack of glass is less of a burden at these FLs than it is for sports/wildlife, so I'm not surprised this is happening.

- A

Reactions: 2 users

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Mirrorless are perfect for these kinds of events. The painfully loud "silent" mode of the 1DxII is horribly distracting. I expect that within a few years, they will be banned. Not by public officials but by the press pool, because the machine gunning of the shutter makes it almost impossible for video guys trying to record sound.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Mirrorless are perfect for these kinds of events. The painfully loud "silent" mode of the 1DxII is horribly distracting. I expect that within a few years, they will be banned. Not by public officials but by the press pool, because the machine gunning of the shutter makes it almost impossible for video guys trying to record sound.

The man who took that shot has also framed the use of silent shutters as a competitive advantage vs. his photojourno peers. He might notice some slick detail and the other photogs in the room won't know that (a) he's on to something, (b) he's focusing on something, (c) he has captured something unique:

1564156963098.png

Also, unrelated to silent shutters, high res is now a concern for politician 'talking point discipline'. POTUS has been caught a few times with his talking points up off the podium and folks have used (I presume) higher res rigs to read them -- it's almost like he's a baseball pitcher giving away his grip before the pitch:

1564157163514.png

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I know working pros who have sold their 1DX II's and 5D MkIV's for A9's and A7 ?'s primarily because of the totally silent shooting mode. It isn't a panacea as it introduces other issues especially for fast action but in many situations it has proven a game changer. Forget the public figure recording which is a niche of a niche, but look to weddings and no longer being banned from ceremonies, event shooting where people no longer assume the picture taking face because they hear you, street and environment imagery, the uses just go on and on.

There are several features of mirrorless cameras I find particularly attractive and will be getting the high resolution model to compliment my 1DX MkII's. I really do see them as complimentary tools rather than competitors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You think? EXIF wouldn't say, but that's a mad wide angle. Might have been Doug's A9 with an ultra-wide.

- A
Here he is doing the same shot at an earlier hearing. It's a 1DX MkII with 11-24 and WFT.

The linked article also points out that he is using WiFi (via Canon WFT's) to wire the images directly to the photos desk in New York. Who needs two slots for backup ;)

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 1.35.29 PM.png

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Interesting, PBD, thanks! He's an A9 user for his primary rig, so I wonder if he's still dual-platform for unique lens reasons (like the 11-24 f/4L 11 f/4L who are you kidding it's an 11mm prime stop this zoom nonsense you are not fooling anyone).

- A
If only Canon had gone with that, 11mm f/2.8 prime! Maybe RF...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Interesting, PBD, thanks! He's an A9 user for his primary rig, so I wonder if he's still dual-platform for unique lens reasons (like the 11-24 f/4L 11 f/4L who are you kidding it's an 11mm prime stop this zoom nonsense you are not fooling anyone).

- A
WFT, I’d guess. Sony don’t have anything like it but for people who are using the FTP functionality it is an amazing tool. I have noticed more and more of the photographers caught on camera on TV are using them. I have one but don’t use it for FTP duties.

Upvote 0