Photokina 2010 Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Photokina 2010 Continued

Did you really fly al the way from Canada to Colone to see all of this great Canon stuff? :p I hope you will have fun on the other stands.

What a disappointing day (lets make it a disappointing year). Well, at least it was good for my wallet and I can save a bit more for my dream low noise, not so much MP, low cost FF wonder camera from our Canon friends.

Upvote 0
C

cal_gecko

Very interested in some real world reviews of the 60D .. I was anxiously waiting for one with the hopes of taking it with me on a trip to Alaska last month.. but due to the delayed release, I ended up going with a 7D instead.. I'm now wondering if I should sell the 7D and get the 60D if it has pretty much all the same (and more) features.. ? The SX also looks very interesting and potentially tempting, for when I don't feel like lugging around a DSLR. Thanks for the consistently awesome reviews!

Upvote 0
T

that1guy

cal_gecko said:
Very interested in some real world reviews of the 60D .. I was anxiously waiting for one with the hopes of taking it with me on a trip to Alaska last month.. but due to the delayed release, I ended up going with a 7D instead.. I'm now wondering if I should sell the 7D and get the 60D if it has pretty much all the same (and more) features.. ? The SX also looks very interesting and potentially tempting, for when I don't feel like lugging around a DSLR. Thanks for the consistently awesome reviews!

I would keep the 7D. It is a far better camera on a few levels, and with the hit (albeit probably small) that you will take when you sell it, you might only get $100-200 back in your pocket and be stuck with a camera that is not as good. Just keep it and go take pictures :) Enjoy!

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

There's a lot of neat stuff there, quite a few cameras on show for the sub-DSLR-price crowd. Though I wonder if they couldn't actually do something smaller and more integrated - from a business perspective, Canon probably would point to the shaky phone shot and say "see, he needed a S95" but it's still extra bulk. It would be interesting to see if Canon and Nikon would get into the phone market somehow - perhaps designing modules for other manufacturer's phones, not sure. A good camera phone with sensible controls, IS, and a large sensor would be a great idea I think. Sony has a good foot in the door anyway.

Out of everything shown there (aside from the 60D obviously) I'm probably most excited about that calculator mouse. Granted I don't use spreadsheets all that much, but it would be handy for the times I do. Bye-bye Microsoft Calculator! I'd need to be able to plug it into a front USB plug of my computer though...haven't looked into using multiple mice at once.

Upvote 0
S

sampsonphoto

Just wanted to say thanks for being the eyes and ears of Photokina for those of use that can't make it in person.

Since any exciting new announcements by Canon seem unlikely, I'd love to hear more about Fuji's X100, which seems to be a show stealer in my opinion, at least from the photos and videos I have seen of it.

Also, I think I seen a couple of images of the newer Canon 300 & 400mm lenses on display. Any chance you will get a hands on with these to tell us about how they feel compared to the older versions?

Thanks again, and happy Honeymoon!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I'd sure like to hear some reports about what lenses Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc. are showing.

What's this new Sigma 120-300 mm 2.8 sigma look like?

Please ask the Tokina people if the 100-400 IS lens will ever materialize.

And what's the story with these Samyang lenses?

Upvote 0
R

richy

that1guy said:
cal_gecko said:

I would keep the 7D. It is a far better camera on a few levels, and with the hit (albeit probably small) that you will take when you sell it, you might only get $100-200 back in your pocket and be stuck with a camera that is not as good. Just keep it and go take pictures :) Enjoy!

Definately keep the 7d. Unless you have a real need for the articulated screen, since you already have the 7d its not worth changing. Its not like the difference in price would buy a decent lens. It might not even get you a midrange flash.

Upvote 0
T

tzalmagor

neuroanatomist said:
tzalmagor said:
...based on the last decade, five lenses is on par for Canon, so I would think any additional lens announcements at Photokina would be a surprise, rather than the expected.

Wait, wait - you mean that they aren't going to announce a 24-70mm f/2.8L IS?!??!? I thought that was 'for sure, take it to the bank...'

:p

As I stated before (though I don't recall using the words 'for sure, take it to the bank...') I think Canon will, only *next* year.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tzalmagor said:
neuroanatomist said:
tzalmagor said:
...based on the last decade, five lenses is on par for Canon, so I would think any additional lens announcements at Photokina would be a surprise, rather than the expected.

Wait, wait - you mean that they aren't going to announce a 24-70mm f/2.8L IS?!??!? I thought that was 'for sure, take it to the bank...'

:p

As I stated before (though I don't recall using the words 'for sure, take it to the bank...') I think Canon will, only *next* year.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Sorry! But I do recall the same thing (they'll release it *next* year) being said in 2009...

Upvote 0
P

peejay

This is really so disappointing.

I've been holding off making a decision to buy a camera because the 1ds life cycle is due. I've been renting and wasting money. Right now I really think Canon sucks - time for me to jump to Medium Format Digital I think.

Surely, there's no way that they'd make an announcement at the end of the show and lose out on the exposure. Corporate a-holes don't do surprises bigger than calculator mouses. Their blood is too thick, cold and slimy.

Upvote 0
R

richy

peejay said:
This is really so disappointing.

I've been holding off making a decision to buy a camera because the 1ds life cycle is due. I've been renting and wasting money. Right now I really think Canon sucks - time for me to jump to Medium Format Digital I think.

Surely, there's no way that they'd make an announcement at the end of the show and lose out on the exposure. Corporate a-holes don't do surprises bigger than calculator mouses. Their blood is to thick and slimy.

I'm thinking the same, posted the same time as you! Looking to use it for studio / outdoor portraits / wedding formals etc. Which way you leaning? Leica, hassie, leaf, contax or P1?

I'm begining to think central shutter is a must, syncing at 1/800 - 1/1600 and being able to work in film is great.

I know the 1ds4 would be more flexible but I can keep my current dslrs for flexibility and add the mfd when its easiest to do so.

Upvote 0
T

that1guy

Thanks for checking out the Schneider lenses. Man, they are huge! Did they give you any kind of estimated price on those things?

All I have to say about Sigma is "wow." That is crazy that they didn't know what one of their own products was. It's funny, your experience with their people matches my experience with their products; hit or miss. It's a shame really, as they do have some neat technology. Did they have any sample prints from that new 15'ish MP Foveon camera (SD1 I believe)? If so, what did you think of them?

Upvote 0
richy said:
Many pros (myself included) have no issues with it assuming you accept it only has one great af point. That sensor for that $ is awesome, they had to put a semi crippled af in otherwise who would buy the 1ds3?

Nikon doesn't seem to have any problem with using the same metering and auto focus on ALL their pro cameras. Why can't Canon do the same? Why can't the 7D have the same focus and metering as a 1D IV? If they did this than the 60D could have the improved focus developed for the 7D (if the 7D had 1D IV focus) and the T2i could use the 40D focus. Three segments - consumer, prosumer and pro. Nikon only has two segments - consumer with SD cards and Pro with CF cards and the best metering and focus.

I'd buy a fully pro 5D MII over a 1Ds III because of lighter weight, while others would buy 1Ds III because of tougher build. Nikon gives you the choice between a D700 and a D3s, and both sell well! But it seems like I'll have to buy the D700 replacement (D800?) if I want a Pro Camera in a Small Body, because Canon has stopped listening to their customers who aren't interested in V-DSLRs.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.