Photokina 2014

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
So, Photokina in September, what do we expect to see ?

I'm not expecting all, just some...

Canon EOS 7D MkII with 24mpx and next gen 70D AF tech
Canon EOS 750D with a 18mpx sensor and trimmed down 70D AF tech
Canon EOS M3 with same sensor and AF as 750D

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 IS < hopefully f1.4
Canon EF 85mm f2.0 IS
Canon EF 100-400mm L

Canon EF-M 16-120mm

Sigma 24mm f1.4
Sigma 85mm f1.4

Zeiss Otus 85mm f1.4

New Fuji X with the 24mpx APS-C sensor - probably in the X-Pro 2 with fixed lens first ?

What else ?

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Dylan777 said:
Not in the urgent, but interested to see 1D X II + 100-400
I'm hoping we do not see any other high-end cameras other than the 7D2....

I'd like to see whatever the "revolutionary" technology is, spend a half year or so in the field, along with the user interfaces and touch screen controls/ wifi controls to get the bugs out and figure out what is good/bad about it... then I hope to see an avalanche of new FF cameras.

Upvote 0
Realistically we'll prob get a 7DII announcement, a whiff of a new 100-400 if we're lucky and that's about it.

Doesn't bother me though as I'm holding out for a 5D4 at some point. I'll just save my money in the mean time.

Sigma 85 art or a 135 art would be nice to see. Though I prob wouldn't buy it. I almost bought the 35A when it came out, then held out for the 50A and by that point I was over it. If they make a 85 art it will likely be bigger, heavier and of course more expensive. None of those are attributes I like!

Very much doubt any wide angle lenses since they already released two this year.

How about that 50 IS? Where the heck did that get to? That could be useful, eh?

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
FEBS said:
28-300L mkII

Really ? Not seen much talk on this here - the other pumper turned to a twist ?

Personally, I'd much prefer something like a 20-135 f4-5.6 in a compact lightweight form, with L quality optics - a little like a EF-S 15-85 for full frame in a package no bigger than a 24-70 f4 L, but given we haven't seen anything patent wise, I'd be surprised to see that in September !!

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Haydn1971 said:
FEBS said:
28-300L mkII

Really ? Not seen much talk on this here - the other pumper turned to a twist ?

Personally, I'd much prefer something like a 20-135 f4-5.6 in a compact lightweight form, with L quality optics - a little like a EF-S 15-85 for full frame in a package no bigger than a 24-70 f4 L, but given we haven't seen anything patent wise, I'd be surprised to see that in September !!

I know, I was also surprised when the dealer told me he would do an event during oktober/November for testing new lenses like 100-400, 28-300. I asked also 28-300? Because I did not suspect that lens, but he said that lens used old technology.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Haydn1971 said:

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 IS < hopefully f1.4
Canon EF 85mm f2.0 IS

Canon EF 100-400mm L

Canon EF-M 16-120mm

Sigma 24mm f1.4
Sigma 85mm f1.4

Zeiss Otus 85mm f1.4

New Fuji X with the 24mpx APS-C sensor - probably in the X-Pro 2 with fixed lens first ?

What else ?
Considering Canon already released a 35mm f/2 IS, it would be nice to see the 50mm /f2 IS and 85mm f/2 IS
Looking forward to the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art and the 24mm f/1.4 Art
But what about the 135mm f/1.8 OS of Sigma? And will it be Art level? Or Canon with an updated 135mm f/2 IS?

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
I actually wonder with the anticipated slower 50/85mm IS non-L lenses, if in the longer term, Canon are making way for replacements to the 50/85mm f1.2's with a consistent f1.4 range of L primes - 24/35/50/85 - I read recently that Nikon can't do faster than f1.4 due to the size of the F-Mount opening, would a perfect f1.4 lens suit better than a flawed f1.2 lens especially when the key competitors are pushing excellent high spec f1.4 lenses.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Canon has been updating the budget lenses with IS STM versions, so I think there will be 3 new normal focal length lenses:
1. An inexpensive EF 50mm f/1.8 IS STM lens (to replace the plastic fantastic)
2. A mid-tier EF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM (to replace the EF 50mm f/1.4)
3. A pro-level EF 55mm f/1.4 USM (To replace the 50mm f/1.2)

Upvote 0
Haydn1971 said:

Lol Canon 18Mpx sensor made it to most rubbish bottom model 1200D. Why do you expect they repeat this and put the same sensor into 750D and M3?

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
crashpc said:
Lol Canon 18Mpx sensor made it to most rubbish bottom model 1200D. Why do you expect they repeat this and put the same sensor into 750D and M3?

Rolls eyes, how many times... Repeat after me, "there's more to a camera performance than just the megapixel count !" Now say it over 500 times

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Haydn1971 said:
Rolls eyes, how many times... Repeat after me, "there's more to a camera performance than just the megapixel count !" Now say it over 500 times

+1
Photography is much more then megapixel. Also think about other features as cps, Af system, lenses and don't forget the person behind all that gear.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Haydn1971 said:
crashpc said:

But when it comes to consumer demand, you might as well be arguing the megahertz myth. It didn't work then, and it won't work now.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
crashpc said:
Haydn1971 said:

If they put in an 18Mpixel sensor, who says that it is the same old sensor?

Safe bets for the future is that ALL of Canon's new DSLR sensors will be DPAF. Keep in mind that one of the reasons why the 7D2 has been delayed so long is that they are having problems manufacturing the sensor. (statement by Canon executive) They have no problems making the 70D sensor, so why is this one any different? They should be able to churn them out easily.... plus the camera will not sell as many units as a lower priced 70D so volume should not be a problem....

The most likely explanation is that there is new technology involved (also said by a Canon executive). This is either a new fabrication process, a new way of doing things, or most likely, both. I expect to see finer lithography and the migration of the A/D circuitry onto the sensor. This should give slightly better efficiency and lower the noise level.... and that's a big thing! drop the noise by two stops and you should be able to 5D3 IQ out of your crop camera. Of course, if this happens then the 5D4 will get the same treatment and the 2 stop advantage will be restored.

This has to happen..... it is only a matter of time. The big question is if the time is now?

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
Don Haines said:
crashpc said:
Haydn1971 said:

If they put in an 18Mpixel sensor, who says that it is the same old sensor?

Safe bets for the future is that ALL of Canon's new DSLR sensors will be DPAF. Keep in mind that one of the reasons why the 7D2 has been delayed so long is that they are having problems manufacturing the sensor. (statement by Canon executive) They have no problems making the 70D sensor, so why is this one any different? They should be able to churn them out easily.... plus the camera will not sell as many units as a lower priced 70D so volume should not be a problem....

The most likely explanation is that there is new technology involved (also said by a Canon executive). This is either a new fabrication process, a new way of doing things, or most likely, both. I expect to see finer lithography and the migration of the A/D circuitry onto the sensor. This should give slightly better efficiency and lower the noise level.... and that's a big thing! drop the noise by two stops and you should be able to 5D3 IQ out of your crop camera. Of course, if this happens then the 5D4 will get the same treatment and the 2 stop advantage will be restored.

This has to happen..... it is only a matter of time. The big question is if the time is now?

An extra 2 stops on my current 5dMK3 - that'd be very interesting.

Upvote 0