Photos from the Canon EOS 60D and Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

canonman

I just posted the first photos I took with my 60D using a Christmas tree...

Here is the link: http://bit.ly/eFdgnT

My thoughts on the 60D after using it for a few days is that it is a vastly more precise instrument then the T2i. The T2i seems more like a blunt object where as the 60D is more precise, surgical and faster in function and form. There are some features on the 60D that I am discovering that were not present on the T2i such as the 2 silent modes. The silent modes are for when you are in a situation where you need to be quiet when taking your photos.

With any new camera body, it takes a while to get to the point where you are truly fast with its operation. It will take me about a thousand shots before I truly master this body. It is definately much different then the T2i and you will need to read the owners manual at least once through.

I am very happy that I upgraded to this body from the T2i. I would say using the T2i to get the job done was like taking a brick and hammering a nail. It works, but its not as precise in form or function. The 60D is more like a hammer then a brick. It seems smoother, faster and more of a joy to operate. The body does seem more durable and easier to hold steady. I have an aftermarket battery grip I purchased shipped directly from China for 60 bucks. The battery grip is a must get because you can get a better grip on the camera for steadier shots and it also adds the capability of using AA batteries in the event your Canon battery goes out. The AA batteries are only meant to be used in an emergency and have a considerably shooter life then two OEM Canon lithium batteries. I will continue reporting back about the camera after using it a few more days.

Jul 21, 2010
canonman said:
I would say using the T2i to get the job done was like taking a brick and hammering a nail. It works, but its not as precise in form or function. The 60D is more like a hammer then a brick. It seems smoother, faster and more of a joy to operate.

Try a 7D. To extend your metaphor, the progression of T2i - 60D - 7D goes like this:

brick.png
AKFK_If_I_Had_a_Hammer.jpg
2905046123226464_1.jpg

Upvote 0
C

canonman

Lets talk about that for a moment. Each camera in the Canon line fits into a certain niche. The T2i has its segment of buyers, the 60D has its segment and the 7D has its segment. Each camera in the line reaches out to a certain buyer. Even the Canon G-series has its segment. For example, the Canon G I believe is the ultimate travel camera as it is lightweight and compact yet has features that a serious minded camera user would desire such as the flash bracket and full manual control. I lugged the T2i with a bag full of lenses around Asia and the United States through 30+ flights. It wasn't a fun time with all the weight to be honest. If I had the 7D, then it would have even become more cumbersome.

So the 60D does reach out to a certain user. A big plus for me is the articulating screen. You can definately get pictures you could not obtain previously. However, that is not the only advantage with this camera. It is much faster and more precise then the T2i. Its not as fast as the 7D, but when will you need to take pictures at 1 per every 10-15 milliseconds? Maybe some might need that, but I dont really need photos to come that fast.

Upvote 0
C

canonman

When I saw the negative reviews of the Canon EOS 60D then I debated whether I should purchase that or the 7D. Now that I have had some time to use the 60D I can say honestly that I am happy with the purchase. In fact, I am glad that I did not purchase the 7D.

The 7D and 60D are for two different crowds of buyers. The 60D has automated scene modes which I used in the past on the T2i. I love the scene modes because I do not always desire to set everything manually. There are occasions where I am out and simply want the camera to do the work. There are many options on the 60D that are not on the 7D. When I had the T2i, I had to download the photos to the computer and use a seperate program to manipulate or resize the photos. However, the 60D does have the ability for basic post-processing. I love these new features because I do not enjoy post-processing. Its time consuming. I would just like to pop in the card and upload right away. The articulating screen has proved very useful too.

The 7D is a pureist camera with no automated scene modes. It is designed for someone to shoot, download to the computer and then manipulate with Photoshop. The 7D is much faster, but the 60D is fairly fast. The 60D can fire off 1 picture every 15-20 milliseconds where as the 7D is like every 10-15 milliseconds.

I have not needed the "microadjust" feature that is absent on the 60D. My Canon 17-55 seems to focus very well with no issues.

Image taken with the EOS 60D

img0521cs.jpg]

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2011
I was in the market in October for a new camera and the fact that the T2i/60D/7 all had the same sensor made it a tough process. I went with the 60D over the 7 mostly due to the articulating screen (has come in handy sooooo often) and the Scene modes as I was a little afraid to give them up completely.

I have progressed and never use the scene modes anymore, but its still great to have my wife be able to pick up the camera and have a chance at a decent picture.

Another plus that I didnt really research when I bought it but proved very useful was the Integrated Speedlite controller: I love this!, bought a 580 EXII and the combo give a lot of flexibility.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Policar said:
I'm starting to feel like an inferior photographer for being satisfied with the t2i.

Don't. At all. Think about it - by today's standards, the equipment used by Ansel Adams was...well, crap. Good gear helps, yes. But it's still mostly about light, composition, skill, and experience. Be happy with your T2i! If you are going to upgrade something, upgrade your lens(es) - that will make a much bigger difference in image quality than a 'better' body (and keep in mind that the 7D uses the same sensor in the T2i).

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think each of the bodies have their own niches, and usually one does better than the other in given situation. The bottom line is how much you've been investing in the L lenses... the more you have, the less likely you'll switch systems 8)

60D has one big distinct advantage - shooting above the crowd when you forgot to bring a ladder. That's one of those moment where you'll be dying for an articulate screen ;) I learned that the hard way at one of those car shows last weekend...

Upvote 0
Policar said:
I'm starting to feel like an inferior photographer for being satisfied with the t2i.

I rented the T2i when it first came out and really liked it. In fact, I really love my XSi - it takes great pictures. I recently bought a 7D because I take a lot of pictures of my kids sports. I wanted the fps and the better focus system on the 7D - those were the main drivers. I'm having a hard time bringing myself to sell the XSi because I think it is worth more than I can sell it for.

Be happy with your T2i and buy lenses 8)

Upvote 0
60d = the mix of everything dslr video people been wanting;

but for still pictures, lol If you go hold a 7d at best buy or whatever and press the shutter button, you'll be addicted to that speed; seriously I mean stick a 600x and in 10 seconds your ready to burst throw the whole buffer :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOALy-tYdUk

I honestly don't think one is better than the other; but compliment each other ; kind of like the 7d & 5d mkii

http:///www.armandophotography.net/MVI_8528.MP4 = not the best video example, but a great audio example..nice and clean no post processing with plural eyes + software editor, thats just more work :) plug in mic set the volume & enjoy! Used the mke400 sennheiser more directional in my opinion than the rode

Upvote 0
ronderick said:
The bottom line is how much you've been investing in the L lenses... the more you have, the less likely you'll switch systems 8)

I could never own an L lens. I'd like it too much and want the rest, and then I'd want a full frame body.

I am actually loving the 18-55mm IS kit lens. The difference in sharpness between this and the original 18-55mm lens seems bigger than the difference between the sensor on the rebel xt (my old camera) and on the t2i. And IS is the best thing ever. I had no idea they improved this thing so much.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.