Pistol Grip Ball Head - Advice / Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Hello, and looking for some help with Pistol Grip Ball Heads ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•

I search CR for "Pistol Grip Ball Head:
and only a handful of threads came up. :-\

My questions are:

1) Do you own a Pistol Grip Ball Head; If so what
brand & Model / any experience, good bad, etc using one?

2) From the links below, any advice / alternatives?

Vanguard GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head

Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head Short

Manfrotto 324RC2 Joystick Head with Quick Release (Black)

Slik AF2100 Pistol Grip Head with Quick Release

Sunpak 620-PISTOLGRPQR Tripod, Ball Head

Thanks in advance ! :D

Peace! 8)

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Last year I bought a second hand Manfrotto #3265 (it also says #222 on the grip, and "Made in Italy").
Mine is a bit like the 322RC2, but the camera sits on top of the grip handle (rather than on the side of it).

I got it for a great price, and I used it a bit in person before I bought it (from Gumtree, the Australia free online selling / buying community). So I was happy with that, as it works well and the price was much less than new. It sits on my tripod which I bought about 1.5 years before.

The main reason I wanted to get a ball-head was for macros and 'the quick release possibility'. It complements my existing 3-way Manfrotto head very well.

Hope you'll get a good outcome with your decision and purchase.

Paul

Upvote 0
yablonsky said:
I have a Bilora 1157 Professional.
It is very usefull for taking videos and cheap.
I can recommend that one.

yablonsky, thanks, but they don't sell that in the USA and I don't feel comfortable purchasing it in foreign currency.

realjo said:
I'm also using this one and it is great for that price. I can recommend it, too.

Gosh, that grip looks a lot like the other ones I listed. So maybe I'll just have to take this one on myself.
I appreciate the feedback / advice.

pj1974 said:
Last year I bought a second hand Manfrotto #3265 (it also says #222 on the grip, and "Made in Italy").
Mine is a bit like the 322RC2, but the camera sits on top of the grip handle (rather than on the side of it).

I got it for a great price, and I used it a bit in person before I bought it (from Gumtree, the Australia free online selling / buying community). So I was happy with that, as it works well and the price was much less than new. It sits on my tripod which I bought about 1.5 years before.

The main reason I wanted to get a ball-head was for macros and 'the quick release possibility'. It complements my existing 3-way Manfrotto head very well.

Hope you'll get a good outcome with your decision and purchase.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks, that is what I'm looking for as well, versatility and quick release as a byproduct. However, I have a heavy set-up, batery pack, mic, brackets, lens, etc. etc. I think it's be too much for that type.

I'll keep researching, and post what I get with a review.

Thanks,
Peace! 8)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The older Manfroto Pistol Grips were noted for having a lot of play, particularly the vertical ones. I had two of them, both with the same problem. The horizontal grips did it as well, I had one.
I have mine bolted to a light table and find it handy for product shots. Worthless for a tripod or big lens.
Finally, I spent the extra $$ on the new model, it does not have play, but it takes a tight squeeze to release it, and since I have carpal tunnel, its not the easiest thing for me to do.
If you buy one, buy one that can be returned if you do not like it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.