Plan to get a 5D3 for $1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just saw another members signature joking about a kind soul who would donate a 5D3 that good Karma would be upon them etc.

Now what if you did a first come first serve list of 3500 people. Now in this list Everyone donates a dollar to the "raffle" because obviously the cost would be 3,500 if everyone gave each other a dollar and it would wash out but if it were designed like a weekly drawing, you would have a change at a new camera for 1 dollar with fairly low odds. I know I"d be willing to take that risk every week for a year.

Not sure how many others would be on board but if you can think of a good way to administer it.... unsure if pay pal is a safe enough place to hold those funds in escrow while we do this?

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Upvote 0
Marine03 said:
So I just saw another members signature joking about a kind soul who would donate a 5D3 that good Karma would be upon them etc.

Now what if you did a first come first serve list of 3500 people. Now in this list Everyone donates a dollar to the "raffle" because obviously the cost would be 3,500 if everyone gave each other a dollar and it would wash out but if it were designed like a weekly drawing, you would have a change at a new camera for 1 dollar with fairly low odds. I know I"d be willing to take that risk every week for a year.

Not sure how many others would be on board but if you can think of a good way to administer it.... unsure if pay pal is a safe enough place to hold those funds in escrow while we do this?

that's still only a 1 in 3500 shot that you win one each week. (Assuming there is always 3500 people in the raffle) So let's play...try picking the number I'm thinking of right now between 1 -3500...that's how hard it would be to win.

Those are Incredibly low odds of winning. (Don't get me started on the lottery )

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Northstar said:
Marine03 said:

that's still only a 1 in 3500 shot that you win one each week. (Assuming there is always 3500 people in the raffle) So let's play...try picking the number I'm thinking of right now between 1 -3500...that's how hard it would be to win.

Those are Incredibly low odds of winning. (Don't get me started on the lottery )

I just saw the 5DIII Listed for $2769..( about $700 less than I paid for it...UGH!)so ...if he runs the raffle for that amount...it should increase your odds! GOOD LUCK!

Upvote 0
True.. technically, assuming a camera is given out everytime the price is reached (the organizer doesn't take profit), you will win 1 in 3500 times on average. You're just as likely to spend more than the retail price as you would be to spend less.

Beyond that, the likelihood that an organizer would give one away at exactly retail price without taking a profit is highly unlikely (I wouldn't...). Plus the mkiii sells for less than $3500 in the US now anyway.

In fact, I got the kit on sale for 3750 and resold the 24-105 for about $900... so $2850 for the body (new). The only one who has an educated reason to be excited about this lottery is the organizer haha

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
miah said:
This reminds me of a great bumper sticker I saw once: The Lottery, a tax on people who are bad at math
LOL!
I am still waiting to win the lottery. The lottery ticket sellers on the other hand are still waiting for me to buy my first lottery ticket :)

Edit: Forgot to admit I am not that good at maths. Simple division on the other hand is ok...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Marine03 said:
PayPal is not a place to run a Lottery, they will close your account and take or refund the money.

Upvote 0
Northstar said:
This may sound like a crazy idea but.....how about getting a part time job, and then go buy one for yourself?

::) Yea..... sounds good I know I left out the part about me that said I work full time for Chase, I have a family with Kids and I do some side weddings but that got me only about 600 this year as a second shooter.... sure better than most but that money doesn't go to more gear unfortunately

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.