Please share your snow/ Ice Photos with us in CR.

+1; all of those "plants frozen in ice" pictures are very nicely done - good lighting, nice compositions!
W.
Thanks Wiebe. It takes some effort to get those focus stacks properly assembled in Zerene Stacker, it is only one out of ten that looks reasonably good :p
And thanks Click, Graham and Bluediablo for the feedback, much appreciated

By the way, isn't that Sid from Ice Age that is hiding under the ice glazing.. :unsure:
I'm sure any psyciatrist would consider me as a very interesting case :p

F36A0073_ZS_DMap_14p_ret_DxO_full-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hi BHF.
Beautiful and incredible don’t seem to do this shot justice, excellent?

Cheers, Graham.
Thanks Graham. Nature in -30C gives shape to crystals beautifully but they get destroyed in a blink of eye. Very little window to manually focus and capture them. Focus peaking and/or focus guide is extremely useful here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Your camera is radiating heat!!
I hate every time I have to admit I'm wrong.. :rolleyes:
I expected to see the hot sensor of the 5D3 through the lens using my Seek thermal camera but no.. The only thing I can see is a faint reflection of my hand holding the thermal camera. The picture was taken after 10 minutes in movie mode! Before that the camera was practically invisible against the (room temp) background.

IMGT0012.PNG

But watch what happens when I hold my hand on the focus ring! I strongly suggest wearing gloves when shooting frostwork! :p
And of course it will help if the camera is kept cool; any object at +20°C will radiate heat into a motive at -30°C

IMGT0015.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're down in quantum physics; you cannot observe anything without affecting it ;) Your camera is radiating heat!!
Very nice shot! I've never seen that kind of lettuce-like structure before
Thanks! Those shapes form only in extreme cold (-30C and below) under certain conditions. I tried to replicate it in higher temperatures (-15 to -20C), but everything shows up as rectangular or hexagonal crystals.

Upvote 0