Poll: Are 5D3 owners going to buy a 6D2?

If you own a 5D3 and skipped buying the 5D4, might you buy a 6D2 instead? (Assume CR's 6D2 spec rumo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No.

After using a 5D with the joystick, its hard to go back to the mushy pad for selecting AF points. Sounds silly I'm sure.

I also can't afford the newest body every couple years, and would rather spend my money on more lenses at the moment. Regardless of what some people think, the 5D3 is just as capable now as it was when it was first released.

Upvote 0
I went with "Yes. I will get a 6D2 because a tilty-flippy touchscreen is a huge need for me."
Doesn't mean I'm dead set on it yet, I do have other requirements, as I mentioned in the other post.

But in the end, if I decide to get it, it will be in large part for the tilty touchscreen (and I, for one, prefer tilty to fully articulated). I'd love to have this in at least one of my DSLRs.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm in this camp so I'll speak to the question personally now.

I regularly hit the limits of what my old crop camera could do on numerous fronts -- I had effectively outgrown my rig. So in 2012, I got a 5D3 and blew those limitations out of the water. For four years, I've enjoyed using a pro tool to develop my photography skills, and it has been awesome.

My 5D3 is only 'holding me back' in some fairly gear-headed / petty ways:

• I really want spot metering at any AF point
  • I would like wider spread of AF points around the frame
  • WiFi onboard would be nice
  • I would not turn away more base ISO DR
  • I would not turn away more resolution if it didn't hurt my high ISO performance

...and the 5D4 only gets me a few of those things and I don't see them being worth $3500. I have the money but I'll invest in glass this cycle. Perhaps a new 50mm someday. ;)

- A

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I am in the "no idea" category, although I have a bit of an idea. I will eventually replace the 5DIII, but I am not in a rush. When I do replace it I will want AF points that are f/8, EV-3 or EV-4, and that have the best possible spread (quantity is less important than quality). I shoot stills, so video features mean very little to me. I consider the 5DIV to be 20% better is about 15 different ways to the 5DIII, which becomes a nice upgrade. Yet, I am very happy with the 5DIII and do not really consider it deficient. Of the upgrades, I do occasionally battle shadow noise/banding on the 5DIII, so the improved sensor and finer grain noise would be an upgrade. I would want extra fps, but 7 fps on the 5DIV isn't that much motivation compared to 6 fps on the 5DIII. I don't really feel the need for 30.4 MP, so if Canon backs off on the MP and gains in sensor performance, I am all for it.

So, I can see myself getting the 5DIV after the prices fall a bit, getting the 6DII if the sensor is great and it meets my AF point requirement, or deciding to save my money for classes, excursions, or something like a 500 f/4 II.

I have about 52,000 actuations on my 5DIII, so it should be good for years. In the mean time, my bank account grows.

If Canon were to make a camera just for me it would:
  • 28 MP
  • 30-60 high quality AF points covering 80% of the frame
  • 9 fps
  • Better shadow noise/DR/less banding than the 5DIII (newer sensors seem to be what I want)
  • Take whatever I can get at higher ISO
  • wi-fi
  • DPAF or something else that improved Liveview focus
  • Touch screen that allowed you to select AF points on the LCD while looking through the viewfinder (seems like a great feature on the M5)
  • Built in intervalometer, focus peaking, etc
Really not that far off of the 5DIV.

Upvote 0
I actually had trouble picking an option in the poll. The option I really need is:

- I'm keeping my 5D3 for sure, but I am up for replacing my 5DII with something better. The 5DIV (while ticking ALL the boxes for me) is way too costly. So it could be a 6DII, or perhaps bizarrely, a 5DS.

Whichever body I end up getting, the only must-haves for me at this point are:

- Anti-flicker tech
- Cleaner shadows relative to 5D3
- Multiple, trustworthy AF points
- 1/8000 max shutter
- Battery compatibility with 5D3

Honestly I might end up taking the 5DS route not because I desperately need the resolution (though it would be handy) but because of the very familiar ergonomics, AF system etc. Not to mention the ability to share cards.

That said, I certainly wouldn't rule out the 6DII if the AF is good enough and the price is right.

Wait and see... wait and see...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
docsmith said:
If Canon were to make a camera just for me it would:
  • 28 MP
  • 30-60 high quality AF points covering 80% of the frame
  • 9 fps
  • Better shadow noise/DR/less banding than the 5DIII (newer sensors seem to be what I want)
  • Take whatever I can get at higher ISO
  • wi-fi
  • DPAF or something else that improved Liveview focus
  • Touch screen that allowed you to select AF points on the LCD while looking through the viewfinder (seems like a great feature on the M5)
  • Built in intervalometer, focus peaking, etc
Really not that far off of the 5DIV.

I really think the 5D4 dropped the ball with only +1 fps over the the 5D3 and +2.5 fps over the 6D. What happens when the 6D2 comes in at 6 fps -- only 1 fps lower than the 5D4 -- at only 60% of the price? There are a ton of things that differentiate models, but AF system, fps and MP count seem to be the biggest price differentiators.

I'm not even a burst shooter (I live in single shot / one shot AF) and I see that 'horsepower spec' of fps and start to justify a 5D4 purchase as a future-proofing move in my head. 7 fps isn't why I didn't get it, but 8-9 fps would have helped Canon's cause there with a lot of people I think.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jeffa4444 said:
ahsandford

The 5D MKIV is improved in many ways over the 5D MKIV, better weather sealing, better metering system, better mirror system, intervalometer, sensor, lighter, better ISO, are you seriously comparing it simply on AF & frame rate?

1) See my prior post on the 6D2 thread about quoting. It also applies to proofing your own posts. ;D

2) Answering your question: of course not. I'm just saying that there are 'punchier / more present' upgrades (sensor, fps, AF system, tilty-flippy) and there are 'nice and thoughtful' upgrades (anti-flicker, DP RAW, touchscreen, lighter weight). The former group brings users into the store (so to speak) to have a closer look at the product, while the latter does not -- at least not in the same numbers.

I'm arguing it's far far easier to differentiate Model X from Model X Mark II (and therefore justify its higher price) with nontrivial bumps in the punchier specs. Or, the corollary, in absence of improvement of those specs, it will be harder to justify a high price.

Applying this idea: compared to the 5D4, a 6D2 with a 28 MP same-gen sensor, 6 fps and (say) 45 AF points is a threat to the 5D4 price. Canon needs to spike the punch a bit with the 6D2 to keep the 5D4 as being '$1500 better' than the 6D2. I contend it would have been easier to make that '$1500 better' value proposition with a 5D4 if it sat at 8-9 fps over the 6D2's 6 fps, that's all.

- A

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
As a 1DX2 owner with a secondary 5D3, the rumored specs and price of the 6D2 really did catch my eye. I primarily shoot news with my 1DX2 and 5D3, but I'm an avid fan of shooting landscapes in my downtime. I'd love to have a lightweight, high DR, 28 mp 6D2 to shoot landscapes with, which could serve as an additional back-up to the 5D3, if it was low enough in price.

Though, like was previously mentioned, I don't think I could go back to using the little touch-pad multicontroller while shooting news instead of a joystick. I previously shot with a 60D and couldn't stand that little thing, especially when it finally broke on me. For landscapes and portraits--totally fine, but for any of my serious work, it puts me off. Added onto that is the lower build quality and less weather sealing, but I'm still OK with that in regards to landscapes.

All that said, I'd probably benefit more in my serious work by moving the 5D3 to a 5D mark IV or getting a back-up 1DX.

Upvote 0
You will not have to use joystick. You can change focus point using touchscreen.

Ryananthony said:
No.

After using a 5D with the joystick, its hard to go back to the mushy pad for selecting AF points. Sounds silly I'm sure.

I also can't afford the newest body every couple years, and would rather spend my money on more lenses at the moment. Regardless of what some people think, the 5D3 is just as capable now as it was when it was first released.

Upvote 0
sunnyVan said:
You will not have to use joystick. You can check focus point using touchscreen.

Ryananthony said:
No.

Possibly, and I'm not going to turn down that idea completely until I try it. But, I am a left eye shooter, and pinching my fingers in between my face and the screen seems a little worse off then the joystick. Willing to stand corrected though.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
sunnyVan said:
You will not have to use joystick. You can change focus point using touchscreen.

Ryananthony said:
No.

you're not assuming it will have touch and drag AF like the M5 are you?

Upvote 0
I'm almost 100% sure that I will pick up a 6dmk2 instead of a 5dmk4. I absolutely love the build quality of the 5d series but I really want a full frame that is smaller and lighter. It seems to me that 5dmk4 is superior only in terms of build quality and slightly more megapixels and may be slightly speedier. I'm not willing to pay over $1000 more just for these things. I will very likely keep my 5dmk3 as backup.

Upvote 0
No. I am assuming it works like an 80d.

rrcphoto said:
sunnyVan said:

Ryananthony said:
No.

you're not assuming it will have touch and drag AF like the M5 are you?

Upvote 0
I went with "Yes, because sensor" even though I'm still a little bit on the fence. My 5D3 is actually a bit overkill for me. I wish I'd waited and got the 6D instead of the 5D3, to be honest. I shoot mostly landscapes, so I don't need a super spiffy autofocus, and DPAF in liveview would be handy for anywhere the autofocus points couldn't reach. And the 5D4 is also more than I need. Plus, I don't shoot video, so those features are kind of wasted on me. Plus plus, I can sell my 5D3 and recoup at least half of what a 6D2 is going to run me.

That said, I'm still keen on seeing what Sony has up its sleeve with the A7 III.

Upvote 0