Poll: Are 5D3 owners going to buy a 6D2?

If you own a 5D3 and skipped buying the 5D4, might you buy a 6D2 instead? (Assume CR's 6D2 spec rumo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
there was no real option on the poll that fits me.The 5d4 is so early still in it's life cycle and I know that I'm probably not the only one with my mindset - the release time sucked for wedding shooters, or, it wasn't great for being an early adopter. For folks like me, the 5d4 came out right when income starts to dry up, and, wedding season in the northeast isn't exactly bumpin in the winter months. I'll happily purchase it this spring/early summer when funds are a bit more liquid and there are actual weddings to shoot. I've been renting it when needed but.

The 6d2 doesn't interest me much as something to purchase. Now with that aid, I do own a 6d. It's been my second body now for 2 years. I'd consider the 6d2 if it weren't for a few things, non of which has to do with the IQ, or in camera specs really -

Reason 1 and everything falls in this category, body size/button layout. I know my 5d3 like the back of my hand. I rarely have to stop to look and consider what I'm pushing. When i shoot with the 6d and 5d3, it's a game of stumbling around. having the image playback buttons on the opposite side, I know its there but i always stumble when i have to do it. Same with ISO, not in the same place. Those 2 things are really annoying enough to sway me away from considering the 6d2.

IQ wise the original 6d is great, i have a very hard time telling the difference between the 6d and the 5d3. The AF is limited, and I could deal with that if not for the body size/button layout.

I'm sure the 6d2 will be a fine camera. But for what I'm doing, unless they made the body larger (only way to get that row of buttons on the left side back, and have the top controls mirror the 5d3/5d4) its a no sale.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I also wonder if moving from a 5D3 to a 6D2 would seem like a prestige/feel downgrade to some.

I recognize even the 6D1 had a thing or two over the 5D3, but the 5D3 feels like a professional instrument, the ergonomics and feel are impeccable, etc. Moving to a 6D product after that would feel... less, I guess.

I don't say that as a brand-level snob or anything. I just think there's more to a rig than its specs or sensor.

- A

Upvote 0
That's almost for sure. You will absolutely miss the robust feeling of the 5d. That's how I felt when I had the 80d in my hand. In comparison the 80d felt plasticky, easily scratchable. Well, we can't have it all, can we?

ahsanford said:
I also wonder if moving from a 5D3 to a 6D2 would seem like a prestige/feel downgrade to some.

I recognize even the 6D1 had a thing or two over the 5D3, but the 5D3 feels like a professional instrument, the ergonomics and feel are impeccable, etc. Moving to a 6D product after that would feel... less, I guess.

I don't say that as a brand-level snob or anything. I just think there's more to a rig than its specs or sensor.

- A

Upvote 0
To the "never buy a camera based on specs" argument: you're absolutely right, but I think in the case of this thread, most of us are (hopefully) posting "yes" with an unwritten caveat of "provided the reviews and such are good and nothing emerges that is a dealbreaker for me."

I'd like to think that most people wouldn't commit 100% to a camera due to specs alone, must less rumoured specs.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rrcphoto said:
ahsanford said:
I am only looking for current 5D3 owners that skipped the 5D4, please.

- A

way too soon to determine if someone "skipped the 5D4" and we have no idea on the ergonomics of the new 6D body.

Come now, I clearly meant people who skipped the 5D4 so far. If the price plummets or the 6D2 ends up lacking a critical feature, it would tip the 5D4 fence-sitters dramatically.

I generally am seeing the 5D3 camp -- those that use it as their principal rig -- doing one of four things this cycle:

• They became early adopters of 5D4 -- they got one within the first 60 days of release
  • They are presently waiting to choose between the 5D4 and 6D2
  • They will get a 6D2 for either size/weight or value reasons
  • They will hold out and not buy either the 6D2 or the 5D4 this cycle or wait a long period of time for their chosen next camera to come down in price. Either way, this camp is in no hurry to retire their 5D3.

This very informal poll would imply that:

1) A majority of this group (a shade over 2/3 at present) will keep shooting their 5D3 and not get a 5D4 or 6D2 ...at present pricing or expectation of pricing.

2) A small number (1/6 at present) of folks are going to replace their 5D3 with a 6D2.

3) Most peoples' minds are somehow already made up on this. Only 10/66 responses are in the 'Mind not made up' / 'Might revisit 5D4 based on 6D2 specs'

(rrc, #3 above gets to your "way too soon" comment. I agree that a gamechanging 6D2 spec list or design might rock this poll a bit, but only 10/66 in the uncertain bucket might imply that the vast majority sufficiently believe the rumored specs/prices to have made up their mind.)

I find everyone's thought processes fascinating with this.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
rrcphoto said:
ahsanford said:

- A

way too soon to determine if someone "skipped the 5D4" and we have no idea on the ergonomics of the new 6D body.

Come now, I clearly meant people who skipped the 5D4 so far. If the price plummets or the 6D2 ends up lacking a critical feature, it would tip the 5D4 fence-sitters dramatically.

I generally am seeing the 5D3 camp -- those that use it as their principal rig -- doing one of four things this cycle:

• They became early adopters of 5D4 -- they got one within the first 60 days of release
  • They will hold out and not buy either the 6D2 or the 5D4 this cycle or wait a long period of time for their chosen next camera to come down in price. Either way, this camp is in no hurry to retire their 5D3.

1) A majority of this group (a shade over 2/3 at present) will keep shooting their 5D3 and not get a 5D4 or 6D2 ...at present pricing or expectation of pricing.

2) A small number (1/6 at present) of folks are going to replace their 5D3 with a 6D2.

3) Most peoples' minds are somehow already made up on this. Only 10/66 responses are in the 'Mind not made up' / 'Might revisit 5D4 based on 6D2 specs'

(rrc, #3 above gets to your "way too soon" comment. I agree that a gamechanging 6D2 spec list or design might rock this poll a bit, but only 10/66 in the uncertain bucket might imply that the vast majority sufficiently believe the rumored specs/prices to have made up their mind.)

- A

It's not over until fat lady sings. Or, in this case, until the camera's been released and on the market for at least a few months. It'd be interesting if Canon had a poll on purchase of a 6D2 asking what your previous camera was, if any. But as for before the camera's even announced, always best to take answers with a grain of salt. People on both sides may change their minds. I know a company that gets a LOT of requests to do a certain type of product, but whenever the company makes the requested product, few actually buy it. There's a big difference between what people say they will do and what they will actually do.

Upvote 0
I think Canon has put itself it a tight corner with the 5D4 and soon to be 6dii. LEts face it, the 5D4 is not a camera that is revolutionary. How can you release a 6dii in the next 4-5 months that has less features than the 5d4?

If Canon makes that 6dii substantially weaker than the 5D4, your 6dii will have outdated features as compared to competitor and within price range.

The 5D4 within 2 years will look VERY overpriced when Nikon, Sony etc.

I think either way you will get a camera that is not future proof. If i had a 5d3, i would keep that.......

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
ahsanford said:

Well, first of all you've missed one of the largest groups: 5DIII owners who have or are considering upgrading to the 1D series. Without including that group, the poll is flawed from the beginning. People are much more likely to upgrade to a higher level camera than downgrade to a lower. This would include people who are considering the 1DX II as well as people who find the 1DX and 1DC more attractive as the prices drop. This group is very likely larger than those considering the 6D II.

Secondly, you are making some artificial distinctions for those in the wait-and-see camp. You are assuming they fall into neat categories, when more likely the majority are quite fluid in the their decision making. Owners of the 5DIII who are not early adopters (which would account for the majority of owners) may eventually go for a 5DIV, or they may sit it out this cycle, or they may end up getting a 1DX or they may downgrade to a 6DII, but none of that can be known now, because they don't know yet. It will depend on where prices settle in, what bargains they may come across (such as the recent price slash of the 1D C), their own finances, reviews and recommendations from early adopters, etc. etc.

Also, I'm not sure what you are trying to find out. It's generally acknowledged that the majority of camera buyers don't upgrade every cycle, but usually skip a cycle. Many of those who do upgrade early in the cycle are moving up the line: 70D users buying 6Ds, 6D users buying 5Ds and 5D users buying 1Ds etc.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
rrcphoto said:
ahsanford said:

- A

- A

Still feeling like there are missing categories here. What about people in the, will be buying the 5d4, just not early adopting? If I buy one even even as late as September it's still within first year of release.

Said it in another reply, There are lots of wedding shooters who will be buying this come May/June/July, when cash flow is more liquid and there's actually weddings to shoot.

So I'd add to this:

They became early adopters of 5D4 -- they got one within the first 60 days of release
They purchase a 5d4 in spring/summer of 2017
They are presently waiting to choose between the 5D4 and 6D2
They will get a 6D2 for either size/weight or value reasons
They will hold out and not buy either the 6D2 or the 5D4 this cycle or wait a long period of time for their chosen next camera to come down in price. Either way, this camp is in no hurry to retire their 5D3.

I don't see the waiting to choose being the option for those using a 5d3 as main rig. I 6d2 would be more of a second body for those in that camp

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
Well, first of all you've missed one of the largest groups: 5DIII owners who have or are considering upgrading to the 1D series. Without including that group, the poll is flawed from the beginning. People are much more likely to upgrade to a higher level camera than downgrade to a lower. This would include people who are considering the 1DX II as well as people who find the 1DX and 1DC more attractive as the prices drop. This group is very likely larger than those considering the 6D II.

Fair point, that is a miss. These sort of snap polls are imperfect animals that way -- we don't put our heads together before posting them.

unfocused said:
Also, I'm not sure what you are trying to find out. It's generally acknowledged that the majority of camera buyers don't upgrade every cycle, but usually skip a cycle. Many of those who do upgrade early in the cycle are moving up the line: 70D users buying 6Ds, 6D users buying 5Ds and 5D users buying 1Ds etc.

That blue bit above might be off-target for this wonderful forum of gearheads -- recall that I wasn't asking the market and I was asking the forum. At CR, many people here get new bodies at an alarming rate.

And I'm not convinced that people only move up. Consider my (not that unique) case. Recall that when the 5D3 was first offered, the 6D did not exist and many folks like me making the climb to FF from crop had a choice of opting in for a very late cycle 5D2 with iffy AF or going all-in for the 5D3. I ending up buying a 5D3, but I never needed video and all the 5D level goodies.

So as much as I still love my 5D3, a 'downgrade' to the 6D2 could be a very cost-effective way for a non-action stills guys to get in on some sweet on-chip ADC sensor goodness and a tilty-flippy for a whale less money than a 5D4.

But I appreciate the feedback -- the 1D upgrade path is a miss. Thx.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
unfocused said:

Fair point, that is a miss. These sort of snap polls are imperfect animals that way -- we don't put our heads together before posting them.

unfocused said:

That blue bit above might be off-target for this wonderful forum of gearheads -- recall that I wasn't asking the market and I was asking the forum. At CR, many people here get new bodies at an alarming rate.

And I'm not convinced that people only move up. Consider my (not that unique) case. Recall that when the 5D3 was first offered, the 6D did not exist and many folks like me making the climb to FF from crop had a choice of opting in for a very late cycle 5D2 with iffy AF or going all-in for the 5D3. I ending up buying a 5D3, but I never needed video and all the 5D level goodies.

So as much as I still love my 5D3, a 'downgrade' to the 6D2 could be a very cost-effective way for a non-action stills guys to get in on some sweet on-chip ADC sensor goodness and a tilty-flippy for a whale less money than a 5D4.

But I appreciate the feedback -- the 1D upgrade path is a miss. Thx.

- A

I'm pretty much in the same boat and faced the same dilemma when the 5D3 came out.

But at the end of the day, I keep coming back to price. As much as a 5D4 or A7rII would be nice, they're both really expensive. Plus, I find it really hard to justify that price when no small amount of that money is going to buy features I will never use. So the 6D2 (probably) provides a camera with all the things I want without all the extra stuff I don't care about. Plus, every time I find myself eying the 5D4 or A7rII, I remind myself that the same amount of money could buy a 6D2 plus a lens or two.

I think "downgrading" makes a lot of sense if you're moving to something that suits your needs better, and the lower cost is a nice bonus. Case in point, I have a friend who shot with the 5D2 for years, but he was using it for wildlife and was frustrated with the autofocus and the expense of the big white lenses. I suggested a 7D2 and he actually ended up going with the 80D. He couldn't be happier.

Upvote 0
quality degradfation.

1/4000 maximum shutter speed of 6D could be another limiting factor for environmental portraiture when shooting at F1.2/1.4 outdoors. I try avoiding ND filters if possible due to introduced colour cast and other IQ related issue.
slclick said:
I totally get the downgrade thing. The 5D3 is too much camera for many people and like said above, there was no other Canon FF option except an older or more expensive model. If you don't use Servo or video selling your Mark 3 and getting a 6 Series sounds reasonable.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Re: quality degradfation.

Alex_M said:
1/4000 maximum shutter speed of 6D could be another limiting factor for environmental portraiture when shooting at F1.2/1.4 outdoors. I try avoiding ND filters if possible due to introduced colour cast and other IQ related issue.
slclick said:
I totally get the downgrade thing. The 5D3 is too much camera for many people and like said above, there was no other Canon FF option except an older or more expensive model. If you don't use Servo or video selling your Mark 3 and getting a 6 Series sounds reasonable.

I get that and found that I just needed to spend more $ and get better ND filters!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
ahsanford said:
...recall that I wasn't asking the market and I was asking the forum. At CR, many people here get new bodies at an alarming rate.

Good points. I guess I was a little confused about the purpose behind this poll. I think it is valid to identify if there are any forum readers considering downgrading from the 5DIII to the 6DII.

My path has been a bit different. When I decided to move to full-frame the 6D was already available, but after a lot of thought I decided that the 5DIII was better suited for my purposes. One of the main deciding factors may seem insignificant to others, but I had been using a 7D and just did not like the idea of giving up features like the joystick.

Generally, I try to be thrifty (not sure my wife would agree), but I knew that if I got the 6D, I would always be wishing I had gone for the 5DIII.

My circumstances have changed since buying the 5DIII and I now shoot a lot of sports. I was not happy with the 5DIII for sports and picked up a 7DII at a bargain price. I fell in love with the improved autofocus and higher frame rate, so when the 1DX II came out, I became one of those that moved from the 5DIII to the 1D X II.

I do think Canon faces a bit of a dilemma with the next 6DII, and will need to carefully target the feature set so that it remains appealing, but does not undermine the 5DIV too badly. Notice that I did not and won't use the term "crippled," which in my view is a ludicrous term to use for product differentiation.

The obvious areas for differentiation I believe will be in frame rate, autofocus, weathersealing and ergonomics (joystick). People expecting the 6DII to have the 5DIII autofocus are likely to be disappointed. But, a 7D I or 70D autofocus (which there is nothing wrong with) would be a big improvement over the original 6D and still maintain product differentiation.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
(rrc, #3 above gets to your "way too soon" comment. I agree that a gamechanging 6D2 spec list or design might rock this poll a bit, but only 10/66 in the uncertain bucket might imply that the vast majority sufficiently believe the rumored specs/prices to have made up their mind.)[/i]

- A

doesn't have to be game changing. the inclusion of an AF joystick would change the poll dramatically I would imagine.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
I do think Canon faces a bit of a dilemma with the next 6DII, and will need to carefully target the feature set so that it remains appealing, but does not undermine the 5DIV too badly. Notice that I did not and won't use the term "crippled," which in my view is a ludicrous term to use for product differentiation.

This is the $64,000 question: What gets nerfed with the 6D2?

There's a brew of perhaps five major drivers for this (guesses in parens):

• What do enthusiasts obsess about and might pay more for / might keep the price near the initial asking for a longer period of time? (Sensor performance sensor performance sensor performance, tilty-flippy screen come to mind)

• What to pros insist on having on a rig their livelihood depends on? (Two card slots, flash sync speed, AF joystick, high shutter lifespan, 1/8000 shutter, etc.)

• What does the market always use to differentiate models and set pricing with? (Resolution, FPS, 4K, etc.)

• What can Canon reasonably deliver at their internal production cost targets? (1DX2 metering = no, Touchscreen = yes, NFC = yes, etc.)

• What has Canon already released or plan to release that might be cannibalized / undercut by the proposed new offering? (Surely the 5D4, possibly FF mirrorless, also possibly a stripped-down budget FF SLR)

And from those drivers they make the tough calls.

- A

Upvote 0