Poll: Are you going to be preordering the Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS M6 Mark II?

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Ok, two high end Canon DSLRs do. Maybe a 6D? No other high end or lower cameras have GPS, so why would it be expected in a 90D or 6DII? So the comment about no GPS because its 2019 just doesn’t apply to Canon. It seems like Canon has actually done more than other manufacturers regarding inclusion of GPS at least in some models.

It looks like all new models support GPS using a bluetooth LE connection to your phone running the Camera Connect app. It works OK with my M50 and RP, but iOS keeps closing the app at random intervals, so I have to check if it's running every few minutes. It's only when I forget to check that it stops :/

There's a big downgrade when compared to using a built-in GPS or the GP-E2: it will only sync the time if you connect over wifi and tell it to sync. The "automatically sync time when connected over wifi" option keeps disabling itself. I try to connect all the cameras to my computer at least once a month to keep the clocks in sync in case I forget to connect-disconnect wifi dance.
The big plus is that the app supports multiple cameras, so having it open enables GPS on the RP and M50.

Another downgrade is that on the R and RP the camera won't read the digital compass from the GP-E2, so it would store the direction you were facing. The original M *does* support all that. The M50 doesn't support the GP-E2 at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I was a “No to both” but not because I don’t like these cameras. I think they look great based on we know so far. Of course the official announcement with ALL confirmed specs may alter that opinion.

That said I dont need a crop sensor except perhaps as a compliment to my EOS R for video, and I’d prefer to have an RF mount apsc for that which doesnt exist yet.

And i bought the EOS R primarily for video, but it’s become my travel camera and my 5d3 replacement and is about as compact as I’d like to get. I used to bring my 1DX2 with me on trips.

Upvote 0
Other than some recently announced RF lenses the current catalog just ain't there (28-70mm, 50, 85, 24-105).

Still a long ways to go for a comparable sports/action selection like the one already in existence for EF/EF-S cameras.

How about the M mount? No way in hell a current 7D owner is changing his current EF gear for a mirrorless version
of the camera with that "soccer dad" selection of lenses.
You do know the M cameras can take all the same lenses as the 7D, and more, right? I've been shooting with the M and M6, and 7D and 7DII for years now. The 70-200 F2.8L IS II is most often on my 7DII. It also works perfectly well on the M6. The adapter adds a tiny amount of weight and length, but since the camera body is so much smaller than the 7DII, the whole combo is still smaller. If and when the sports AF in an M body matches or exceed the 7DII, I will gladly use that M with my 70-200 instead of the 7DII. I already prefer the AF in the M6 over that in the 7DII for everything except sports (and it does OK for sports).

Upvote 0
Please would one of you camera gurus provide me with some advice.
At the moment my main camera is a 5D mk4, and I also have a 5D mk3 that I kept as a spare body when I bought the mk4. In practice I hardly ever use my 5D mk3 as the mk4 is always my first choice for studio work and all other serious projects. However, my 5D mk4 is not a good choice for sports and I have been thinking about trading it in for the 90D for its faster burst rate and the additional reach that the crop sensor would give me with my telephoto lenses. The only thing that is holding me back is a worry that the APS-C sensor might not give me the quality I am used to with my 5D mk3. Also it feels like a downgrade going from a professional body to a camera that is more of a consumer product.
Does anyone have any experience of moving from a full frame camera to a good quality APSC camera such as a 7D mk 2 or an 80D? If so, is it something you would recommend or would I be better off staying with what I have?

Upvote 0
At the moment my main camera is a 5D mk4, and I also have a 5D mk3 that I kept as a spare body when I bought the mk4. In practice I hardly ever use my 5D mk3 as the mk4 is always my first choice for studio work and all other serious projects. However, my 5D mk4 is not a good choice for sports and I have been thinking about trading it in for the 90D for its faster burst rate and the additional reach that the crop sensor would give me with my telephoto lenses. The only thing that is holding me back is a worry that the APS-C sensor might not give me the quality I am used to with my 5D mk3. Also it feels like a downgrade going from a professional body to a camera that is more of a consumer product.

I'd wait for the reviews on the sensor's quality. Presumably it's the new Canon's sensor so there's hope it's better than 5DIV or at least the same.
However, why trade 5DIV for 90D? Trade your 5DIII for 90D. I guess 5DIV and 90D will be a great combo.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'd wait for the reviews on the sensor's quality. Presumably it's the new Canon's sensor so there's hope it's better than 5DIV or at least the same.
However, why trade 5DIV for 90D? Trade your 5DIII for 90D. I guess 5DIV and 90D will be a great combo.
I really hope Canon has stepped up their high iso noise performance on this sensor. They're severely lagging behind the likes of the D7500.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
Does anyone have any experience of moving from a full frame camera to a good quality APSC camera such as a 7D mk 2 or an 80D? If so, is it something you would recommend or would I be better off staying with what I have?

Agree with the other person. Keep the 5DIV and sell your 5DIII which sees basically no use and get the 90D.

Upvote 0
I have really been hoping for 5DmkIV level autofocus, especially at f8.

I do fair amount of motorsports photography, but because I am an enthusiastic amateur not a pro I'm ineligible for a media pass putting me farther away from the cars and needing to use longer lenses (often with teleconverters). I currently carry an 80D as a secondary camera to my 5DmkIV, not only for the flexibility of having a second body setup, but also because I sometimes need more reach than my 5DmkIV can provide. I have found that at f8 the 80D hunts a lot, even on in bright sunlight and on still objects; I had hoped for some significant improvement. I've tried both the M5 and M50 but in both cases I found the EVF lag (which is far worse when the autofocus is being taxed) is unacceptable, and I have regularly found both camera crash (for lack of a better description) requiring the camera to be turned off and on to fix.

Due to the issues I've had with both the M5 and M50 I am suspect of using any of the M series (and to a lesser extent an R series) camera, and had hoped that the 90D would be a solution while canon figures out how to get their mirrorless cameras up to their task of sports photography.

The number and spread of the autofocus points leads me to worry this will be the same autofocus system as in the 80D. I'll need to wait for a bunch or reviews to see if it is the same autofocus or just looks that way.

Upvote 0
Not everyone needs 50 lenses. Some people are happy with 2 or 3. The M can be perfect for a light travel setup. Just some of the lenses:

22mm, 11-22, 32mm, Sigma 16mm 1.4, Samyang 12mm, Sigma 56mm, 100 or 60mm macro and maybe a 70-200 F4 adapted.
These are all the lenses i would need.

I agree tho that Sony is in better position by having 2 mounts perfectly compatible, just like Canon had with EF and EFs

I agree.
The M Line is a nice setup.
The 11-22 is an amazing lense. Very light, Sharp with good contrast.
The 22f2 is light, small, sharp with super contrast. Yes is little slow.. but...
The 32 is also an amazing lense. light, Sharp with good contrast and bokeh.
My 50f1.4 and 70-200 f4 is L is top with the adapter.
The M50 is a very good setup to travel for landscape or city and the quality of the picture is good.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
Not everyone needs 50 lenses. Some people are happy with 2 or 3. The M can be perfect for a light travel setup. Just some of the lenses:

22mm, 11-22, 32mm, Sigma 16mm 1.4, Samyang 12mm, Sigma 56mm, 100 or 60mm macro and maybe a 70-200 F4 adapted.
These are all the lenses i would need.

I agree tho that Sony is in better position by having 2 mounts perfectly compatible, just like Canon had with EF and EFs

I’m not sure why you’d buy Canon if you aren’t buying into the system. Based on Amazon’s reviews (I mean DPReview’s reviews), why would you buy anything but a Sony?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

I'm waiting for a M5MII. And even when this cam will be available I won't preorder it. I made that mistake with my M5 and paid the early adopter premium. Today I could purchase this cam for less than 50% of that what I paid. Also a M5Mii should convince me on the stills side, I couldn't care less for any video specs to be improved.
A full articulating LCD and more UI responsiveness would be very welcomed.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0