Poll: Are you going to be preordering the Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS M6 Mark II?

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I can’t figure out why anyone would buy an EOS M camera since Canon doesn’t provide a decent selection of lenses for the format. Adapting EF lenses to it results in a big lens with a very small camera attached; e.g. very poor ergonomics. The RF mount is clearly Canon’s future direction.

Let's just chalk it up to you just don't get it :)

I'm still using the M1. It's already mirrorless, fwiw.

The 22/f2 is supremely useful in maaaanny situations. + There is no EF/ R mount equivalent.

The arguments about adapters (not enough lenses!) is utter nonsense. My most used lenses on it are the 10-22 EFS, and the 35f2 IS.

The arguments about tiny mirrorless cameras ...is useless. Look at the market...it's not happening. It was a dream and that is dead for lenses and bodies alike.

Lastly, the larger lenses adds needed weight because of something called shutter shock. With no IBIS, you will end up with OOF shots everywhere. The fate of my M50 will be set in the next month or so...even with the 35IS attached, blurry pics everywhere, and it's annoying as all hell.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I have a 5DMK4 and would like a back up aps-c camera for a little more reach on the telephoto side but it really depends on the image quality for me. The jump to 32mp is quite a large one in an aps-c camera. If the high ISO noise isn’t as good as the 7DMK2 then probably will stay with full frame for a second camera. Either the 1DX replacement or the R equivalent.

so far, M50 noise is not awesome, and that's only 25mp.... high iso is okay because you expect a certain amount of noise, however even at iso 400, its immediately noticeable in shadows.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
After the release of 77D (crippled, without AF MA) I was considering all reasonable options (actually only three) and ended up with a second hand 80D.
... But, as I feared, it is too big for me, so I tend to leave it at home more frequently.
It's only about $40 to get a repair center to permanently adjust a lens that needs some adjustment. You should have got a 77D and used it instead of an 80D that has AFMA that you leave at home :(
I get than an on-the-run pro may need to buy a lens retail in a hurry and not have a repair center to adjust a lens on the way to a shoot but I just don't get everyone else endlessly complaining about lack of AFMA as a reason to avoid the 77D.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The Canon Rumor's poll showed 60% not favor for mirrorless and non-DSLR camera system with 3779 voted included me. The problem with Canon for failure to continue with DSLR need for professional photographers. The R series system had been total failures with a lot of trouble-prone incidents for both camera and lenses. The 90D is good for moderate knowledge users but not for the professional level. The fact that Canon screwed up everything for the second times. The first time was in 1986 as they stopped with 42mm flange distance length to 44mm caused incompatible issues when they started with the EOS system. This incident caused enormous numbers of professional photographers left Canon for other brands. Now, tremendous numbers of professional photographers included me left Canon for other brands like the first incident. Canon must restore with professional-level DSLR system with improved EF lenses to keep continue with the business. Canon released two financial quarter report was a shocking loss. The third financial quarter report will not surprise with tremendous loss may lead to close the business. Nikon switched to the mirrorless camera with Z systems had the same incident with loss. Now, Nikon is in deep trouble with the financial situation may possibly close the business.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The Canon Rumor's poll showed 60% not favor for mirrorless and non-DSLR camera system with 3779 voted included me. The problem with Canon for failure to continue with DSLR need for professional photographers. The R series system had been total failures with a lot of trouble-prone incidents for both camera and lenses. The 90D is good for moderate knowledge users but not for the professional level. The fact that Canon screwed up everything for the second times. The first time was in 1986 as they stopped with 42mm flange distance length to 44mm caused incompatible issues when they started with the EOS system. This incident caused enormous numbers of professional photographers left Canon for other brands. Now, tremendous numbers of professional photographers included me left Canon for other brands like the first incident. Canon must restore with professional-level DSLR system with improved EF lenses to keep continue with the business. Canon released two financial quarter report was a shocking loss. The third financial quarter report will not surprise with tremendous loss may lead to close Canon. Nikon switched to the mirrorless camera with Z systems had the same incident with loss.

What exactly has been the “total failure” with the EOS R ?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

TracerHD

Canon EOS R1 Pro
Aug 22, 2019
The things are getting interesting now. For a person who own a rebel camera (700D, 750D,...) the 90D will be a huge update. On the other hand: the 80D with 7fps came 2016 and the 5D IV too (7fps in 2016), so maybe we get a 10fps 5D V more or less soon? Would be a 1400$ Crop camera woth when you could get an mybe 4000$ 5D V in one year?

Upvote 0

espressino

sigh.
Feb 26, 2018
It looks like all new models support GPS using a bluetooth LE connection to your phone running the Camera Connect app. It works OK with my M50 and RP, but iOS keeps closing the app at random intervals, so I have to check if it's running every few minutes. It's only when I forget to check that it stops :/

There's a big downgrade when compared to using a built-in GPS or the GP-E2: it will only sync the time if you connect over wifi and tell it to sync. The "automatically sync time when connected over wifi" option keeps disabling itself. I try to connect all the cameras to my computer at least once a month to keep the clocks in sync in case I forget to connect-disconnect wifi dance.
The big plus is that the app supports multiple cameras, so having it open enables GPS on the RP and M50.

Another downgrade is that on the R and RP the camera won't read the digital compass from the GP-E2, so it would store the direction you were facing. The original M *does* support all that. The M50 doesn't support the GP-E2 at all.

I was considering getting the GP-E2 but then I passed because it doesn't fully support my camera (i.e. digital compass doesn't work). The camera connect app in turn doesn't support GPS on my DSLR, but on the G7 X II. This inconsistency is a little maddening.

Upvote 0

espressino

sigh.
Feb 26, 2018
It's only about $40 to get a repair center to permanently adjust a lens that needs some adjustment. You should have got a 77D and used it instead of an 80D that has AFMA that you leave at home :(
I get than an on-the-run pro may need to buy a lens retail in a hurry and not have a repair center to adjust a lens on the way to a shoot but I just don't get everyone else endlessly complaining about lack of AFMA as a reason to avoid the 77D.
Exactly. And if it turns out on the road that a lens is seriously out of step with the camera then one can always still use live view, which doesn't need AFMA, and then one can send the camera in to have it fixed permanently.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
Let's just chalk it up to you just don't get it :)

No argument there. I don’t get it. I currently shoot with the Canon EOS R and 5DM4. I also shoot with a Fuji GFX 50s. I’m no stranger to 25-30 lbs camera backpacks. Light for me is the EOS R with the RF 24-105 for less demanding work. I do have an interest in these cameras though because the sensors should be the first of Canon’s next generation. I really want to see some RAW files from then at different ISOs. The Fuji 50s is good for what it is but I have much more flexibility with my Canon system. I’m one of those people waiting for Canon’s next high megapixel body.

Upvote 0
I'd wait for the reviews on the sensor's quality. Presumably it's the new Canon's sensor so there's hope it's better than 5DIV or at least the same.
However, why trade 5DIV for 90D? Trade your 5DIII for 90D. I guess 5DIV and 90D will be a great combo.
Sorry, what I meant was I was thinking about trading in my 5D mk3 for the 90D. There is no way that I would ever want to sell my 5D mk4

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The things are getting interesting now. For a person who own a rebel camera (700D, 750D,...) the 90D will be a huge update. On the other hand: the 80D with 7fps came 2016 and the 5D IV too (7fps in 2016), so maybe we get a 10fps 5D V more or less soon? Would be a 1400$ Crop camera woth when you could get an mybe 4000$ 5D V in one year?
That is a really good point - but what if the 5D mk5 never arrives? Or if there is a 5D mk 5 but it is only 8fps?

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

The 90D will be an amazing camera, and will totally be worth it if your budget is $1400. There are plenty of people who only want to spend that much, and if they are upgrading from a rebel it will be a huge step up (as you say). If your budget is $4000, you should probably be looking at other cameras or waiting for the next 5D-like camera from Canon.

I don't see the 90D competing directly with the 5D series, but then again it's not really meant to.

Upvote 0