Poll: Are you going to be preordering the Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS M6 Mark II?

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Just watching Tony Northrup’s preview on YouTube in which he reads our all the info from canon rumours but theorised that the 4K *through image processing* means the sensor will record at a lower resolution and scale up to 4K.

Obviously we have to wait for the actual reveal but if that’s true it just killed my interest.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would stay away from anything bu the "R" line, as I believe that's the future of Canon's lineup. The 90D has been in R&D for sometime, and they need to recoup the costs for those who worked on the camera. For me, the next camera I will be getting is an "R" camera, probably the generation after the next that comes out. Being an owner of a 7D MkII, I am happy with the camera, but I don't think I want to spend my money on a dying line, which is again, my personal feelings.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just watching Tony Northrup’s preview on YouTube in which he reads our all the info from canon rumours but theorised that the 4K *through image processing* means the sensor will record at a lower resolution and scale up to 4K.

Obviously we have to wait for the actual reveal but if that’s true it just killed my interest.

That's how the older Canon cameras created "1080p"

However, image processing doesn't necessarily mean it's recording from lower resolution. A lot of cameras use image processing to oversample a much greater resolution and process an image to fit the final output. I'd wait until there's sample files to download to determine if this is a good 4K camera.

If the camera is sampling from line skipping to create 4K, it's easy to tell because the image will have some moire pattern and have issues in low light. If it's oversampling and doing a good job at it, it'll have a great looking image and awesome low light capability. If you want to see an example between the two, look at the A7R3 vs the A73 or the Z7 vs the Z6. The A73 and Z6 both outperform their counterpart that's using line skipping(by a long shot).

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
That's how the older Canon cameras created "1080p"

However, image processing doesn't necessarily mean it's recording from lower resolution. A lot of cameras use image processing to oversample a much greater resolution and process an image to fit the final output. I'd wait until there's sample files to download to determine if this is a good 4K camera.

If the camera is sampling from line skipping to create 4K, it's easy to tell because the image will have some moire pattern and have issues in low light. If it's oversampling and doing a good job at it, it'll have a great looking image and awesome low light capability. If you want to see an example between the two, look at the A7R3 vs the A73 or the Z7 vs the Z6. The A73 and Z6 both outperform their counterpart that's using line skipping(by a long shot).

Interesting, thanks. To be honest after I posted that comment I remembered comparisons online between the 80D and other cameras saying it was soft and wondered if that worked in a similar way. The 80D got a lot of stick from ‘serious’ video aficionados on launch but it’s served me well. Ok, I’m interested again. Lol ☺️

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The no to both is because most everyone is waiting for the A7III/A7RIII killer...

Right. People are not buying an APS-C DSLR or Mirrorless because they are waiting for a full frame high megapixel R?

Upvote 0
I disagree
Apple releases a new iPhone/Iwatch with updates on a regular cadence.
No roadmap is needed
Everyone knows that it’s coming
I do admit that some of their other products do not have a regular cadence like the MacBook Pro. But their customers have come to expect that this specific product line is variable in terms of updates

I personally view Nikon as a small struggling company and don’t know how they communicate with their users. I suspect that products come out when they’re ready and their fans are used to it.

Sony seems to have a cadence for their updates but I don’t know for sure

Canon has a general timeframe for their updates. Certain bodies get updated after a number of years. The cheap ones can be annually and the big dogs much later

We are in a period of great uncertainty, change and financial pressure now. As a result I sense more confusion than normal for canon customers. This isn’t normal and I wouldn’t trivialize it

I was around tech most of my career and I can tell you companies seldom release road maps. Apple is much larger than Canon - can you please send me the copy of their roadmap? Not speculation, industry expectations, rumors, etc. A true, company published roadmap for their core product lines. Where are the roadmaps for Sony, Nikon, etc.?

Sorry, just a little tired of unrealistic expectations. According to the poll, it looks like 41% of the 4700 people have responded would buy the M6 II, 80d or both. These numbers do not include those who 1)would prefer the M5 II. 2) Happy with their current gear, 3) wouldn't buy a pre-order product, 4) waiting for the official spec sheet, 5) Waiting for the price to drop after introduction, etc. I think Canon would be pretty happy with this response when they add in new buyers, marketing campaigns, etc.

Upvote 0

I wont be purchasing either of these cameras not for their specs but because I am not in the market for an prosumer entry level camera. What this gives me is a road map to the next 5d or 1d type camera and when we see the perfomance of this 90D it will tell me what we can atleast expect when the higher end cameras are released.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
So we have transitioned from a "roadmap" to a "cadence" because you can't support your position. You are so full of it! The "cadence" occurs until Apple and Sony decide it is not going to occur. A roadmap typically lays out a defined path for product evolution with at least some high level capabilities. Does the "cadence" tell me whether I will see a 5g iPhone from Apple this year or a new Sony A9 II with at least 2 of the major features? A roadmap to me says it is defined strategy that includes the product evolution with at least some clarity on the general capabilities, otherwise a "roadmap" is nothing more than a worthless marketing slide. Even if a company did a general roadmap, they would not disclose any proprietary or innovative features that would give competition a chance to react and release competing product.

A roadmap would be a published document by a company about it's future product direction - not a "cadence". Your "because they have done..." it is not a corporate statement of direction. Because there has always been a bridge on a road you drive do you close your eyes and assume the bridge is there? If the company did provide a roadmap you would be whining over any deviation even it made absolute sense for the customer and company.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The 90D looks like a great replacement for my 70D. It will very interesting to see the reviews on the sensor. 32.5MP is a pretty significant resolution jump, so Canon must feel that they have made real strides in sensor performance. Would like to have seen 4k/60, but probably too much to ask at the likely price point. As to the M6 II, I have an M3 and an M5. I like the built in EVF, so will likely wait for the M5 II. The M lenses are sharp enough to see some real advantage from the 32 MP sensor so that should make a really good portable. Also waiting for the 5DSR upgrade. I suspect it will come in R form and 32.5 x 2.56 + 83 MP so it should be a pretty interesting upgrade. That will likely be my first venture into the R line. I am also intrigued with the G5X II. It looks like a very capable ultra-portable.

Upvote 0
I don’t want to get dragged into a fight here
To clear the air and move on I have reposted what I said

They can release a roadmap and do things to set expectations to help their loyal customers

I stand by my original statement and understand that you feel differently.
Take care

So we have transitioned from a "roadmap" to a "cadence" because you can't support your position. You are so full of it! The "cadence" occurs until Apple and Sony decide it is not going to occur. A roadmap typically lays out a defined path for product evolution with at least some high level capabilities. Does the "cadence" tell me whether I will see a 5g iPhone from Apple this year or a new Sony A9 II with at least 2 of the major features? A roadmap to me says it is defined strategy that includes the product evolution with at least some clarity on the general capabilities, otherwise a "roadmap" is nothing more than a worthless marketing slide. Even if a company did a general roadmap, they would not disclose any proprietary or innovative features that would give competition a chance to react and release competing product.

A roadmap would be a published document by a company about it's future product direction - not a "cadence". Your "because they have done..." it is not a corporate statement of direction. Because there has always been a bridge on a road you drive do you close your eyes and assume the bridge is there? If the company did provide a roadmap you would be whining over any deviation even it made absolute sense for the customer and company.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
The only thing that has me rethinking the M6 Mark II is that I prefer a fully articulated screen to a tilt-screen. The ribbon cable on the back is exposed and the one on my M3 became loose somehow. I had to get it repaired for more money than I would've liked. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better for me to hold out for the M50 successor.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

TN has very little credibility on CR.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's only about $40 to get a repair center to permanently adjust a lens that needs some adjustment. You should have got a 77D and used it instead of an 80D that has AFMA that you leave at home :(
I get than an on-the-run pro may need to buy a lens retail in a hurry and not have a repair center to adjust a lens on the way to a shoot but I just don't get everyone else endlessly complaining about lack of AFMA as a reason to avoid the 77D.
Firstly, I can do AFMA with more care and patience to optimise than does a repair centre and at the distances I use my lenses at; secondly $40 is the price for one lens, and what is it going to cost if you have several lenses and also use them with 1.4 and 2xTCs and need AFMA at telephoto and wide angle for zooms?; thirdly "permanently" adjust - AFMA can change with handling a camera and the rough and of use and so AFMA has to be repeated over a period of time. I passed over a 77D for its lack of AFMA.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0