Poll: Are you going to be preordering the Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS M6 Mark II?

I will never pre-order anything again before real test of camera, lesson learn with 6d Markii
May I ask why? If my 6D craps out I am not sure what I would get. Reading up on 6DII has been confusing and unsure the sensor is even better. Like my 6D except dumbed down focusing and. 5D is overkill in size, weight, and complexity. Thanks!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
May I ask why? If my 6D craps out I am not sure what I would get. Reading up on 6DII has been confusing and unsure the sensor is even better. Like my 6D except dumbed down focusing and. 5D is overkill in size, weight, and complexity. Thanks!
I did not preorder the 6D2, but bought it shortly after I could hold one in my hands. I had already read and watched many of the pearl-clutching online comments and videos. I decided to get the STM kit lens instead of the L, so I did have to wait for that version to come in to the store. So far I have found no reason to regret getting that camera or that lens. I did ask here for someone to explain to me how I might demonstrate the dynamic range problems that people were obsessing about, and was basically told to forget about it. Autoexposure on the camera is good enough that I haven't had to try ridiculous adjustments. I always shoot Raw, which may help with that a lot. It probably helps, too, in that I wasn't expecting the camera to be an upgrade to the 5D IV.

My first excursion with the camera was to a Chinese lantern exhibit at some gardens. It was daylight when we arrived, and dark when we left. Since I was learning and getting used to the camera, I left everything in auto settings, and I think it did well. No shots were out of focus, either. I didn't try to make the twilight or night pictures look like midday. That would have brought up dynamic range issues with any camera. Pictures from that excursion are at http://www.stevelee.name/lanterns/

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I did not preorder the 6D2, but bought it shortly after I could hold one in my hands. I had already read and watched many of the pearl-clutching online comments and videos. I decided to get the STM kit lens instead of the L, so I did have to wait for that version to come in to the store. So far I have found no reason to regret getting that camera or that lens. I did ask here for someone to explain to me how I might demonstrate the dynamic range problems that people were obsessing about, and was basically told to forget about it. Autoexposure on the camera is good enough that I haven't had to try ridiculous adjustments. I always shoot Raw, which may help with that a lot. It probably helps, too, in that I wasn't expecting the camera to be an upgrade to the 5D IV.

My first excursion with the camera was to a Chinese lantern exhibit at some gardens. It was daylight when we arrived, and dark when we left. Since I was learning and getting used to the camera, I left everything in auto settings, and I think it did well. No shots were out of focus, either. I didn't try to make the twilight or night pictures look like midday. That would have brought up dynamic range issues with any camera. Pictures from that excursion are at http://www.stevelee.name/lanterns/
Thanks much for your response. I shoot RAW also, find the dynamic range just fine. Focusing accuracy with the center point as amazingly accurate. Works fine, so just thinking about the future should I need another body. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I did ask here for someone to explain to me how I might demonstrate the dynamic range problems that people were obsessing about, and was basically told to forget about it.

That's easy.

1) Set a black cat on top of a black blanket in the corner of your room

2) Underexpose said cat by 6 stops.

3) Load the file in your RAW converter and push it 6 stops to reveal the cat.

4) Take a screenshot of the result.

5) Now go find a Canon forum where you can confidently declare that the 6D2 is unusable for black cat photographers who routinely underexpose by 6 stops, that you're switching to Sony so that you don't miss any -6ev black cat shots, and that CANON. IS. DOOMED.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I will definitely pre-order the 90D.

So much negatively toward the 90D specs in the comments...for me this camera could be a game changer for my speciality: bird photography. Currently use the 5DSR and supported by the 7D II with EF600 and EF100-400. The detail provided by the 50MP full-frame sensor is already unbeatable...heaven knows what the 32.5 MP crop sensor will mean for me in terms of cropability and with 10 FPS I’m so excited by the prospect.

Canon all the way!64887608-5265-40D1-98B4-9F52BB012E0F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cnc

Canon 6D mark II
Jan 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, what went wrong for you?
Well, is good camera. I don't like focusing points they are to close to each other, no joystick but you can get around that with touch screen, dynamic range is not the best. After bad review's camera price drop $1000.00 in couple month's. And this is a reason i will never pre-order again. Overall i am happy with the camera.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Well, is good camera. I don't like focusing points they are to close to each other, no joystick but you can get around that with touch screen, dynamic range is not the best. After bad review's camera price drop $1000.00 in couple month's. And this is a reason i will never pre-order again. Overall i am happy with the camera.
It's always best to explain. If you just say that you will never pre-order again, the rest of us will not learn.

I have that camera, and I like it.

As to your points, yes the price really dropped a few months after introduction. That seems to be a common occurrence. We buyers should learn from that. If you want it NOW! you have to pay that new adopter's premium.

As to the focusing points: They cover less area than the other Canon FF cameras, but not a huge amount smaller. The internet hype makes it sound like it is night and day, but really the difference is not huge. That said, because of the smaller sensor size and having the same amount of space for the AF sensor, the crop cameras like the 80D and the 7D2 have much better coverage than any of the FF cameras.

No Joystick! Once you use a camera with a joystick, there is no going back. You get used to the camera and you can operate by feel without taking your eye from the viewfinder. Once it is away from your eye, I find that the touchscreen interface (at least for me) is superior to the buttons and joystick. Canon got that one right!

DR? It's good, but it is not a 5D camera. If you come from crop, it is great, but if you come from a higher FF camera, it is lacking a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I can't think of a time that the autofocus spread has ever been an issue for me with the 6D2. If I ever did want something in the corner of the picture to be the main thing in focus, I would instinctively point the camera at it and lock the focus and then recompose, I'm pretty sure. In a complex situation, I am likely to switch to manual focus anyway.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
As for the price drop, it was worth it to me to have the camera when I did. Maybe I could have rented one until the price came down, but I don't regret doing something clever like that. And I have memorable pictures from the first week or so that I got the camera.

A more dubious case was my recent purchase of the G5X II. My G7X II is perfectly good, and I would have been fine with it on my fall trip. Sometimes I just want something when I want it. Luckily, I haven't seen a car that I like enough better than my 8-year-old car to want to buy it. I will need to buy some tires in the the next couple of months. (Maybe I should have thought of that when I bought the camera.) I'm hoping that I don't suddenly discover a car I want after I spring for the tires.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
As to the focusing points: They cover less area than the other Canon FF cameras, but not a huge amount smaller. The internet hype makes it sound like it is night and day, but really the difference is not huge. That said, because of the smaller sensor size and having the same amount of space for the AF sensor, the crop cameras like the 80D and the 7D2 have much better coverage than any of the FF cameras.

I think that last point is the biggest issue. Anyone who gets used to the 80D and then upgrades to the 6D II is suddenly going to feel like all the focusing points are in the same spot, but it's just because they were spoiled by the 80Ds excellent coverage. Even on my 80D it would be nice if they could be spread wider, one of the things I'm looking forward to when I eventually upgrade to mirrorless is the much better coverage...

Upvote 0
I wrote this post on page 2, and it was spot on.
"This will be just like the 6D MkII. Haters will abound, just like they did then. The camera will come out, and all will be resolved. This is propaganda 101. It will continue as an experiment into how far they can go to trash a product in the quest for dominance of the social media market. They failed to dog the 80D, or the 6D MkII.
It's already began, and watch how many detractors vs. unbiased observers chime in. I'm predicting 3 or 4 to 1. Mark my words.
I would like to continue to use my ES series lenses into the future, and the 90D may be the last of the camera's that will be using them as an option. The hate for this camera will trump all others, as that's where we are with social media now. Maybe the hate for this camera can drop the price quickly, like they did with the 6D MkII. Watch for an insignificant review to be pounced upon, like the ISO 100 fallacy of the 6D MkII's performance. Like the 6D MkII's performance, it will be a great seller."

If you look through these posts, there is almost a stunning amount of frivolity and just plain "Canon hate" going on here. It's almost nauseating, but predictable. ;-)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I wrote this post on page 2, and it was spot on.
"This will be just like the 6D MkII. Haters will abound, just like they did then. The camera will come out, and all will be resolved. This is propaganda 101. It will continue as an experiment into how far they can go to trash a product in the quest for dominance of the social media market. They failed to dog the 80D, or the 6D MkII.
It's already began, and watch how many detractors vs. unbiased observers chime in. I'm predicting 3 or 4 to 1. Mark my words.
I would like to continue to use my ES series lenses into the future, and the 90D may be the last of the camera's that will be using them as an option. The hate for this camera will trump all others, as that's where we are with social media now. Maybe the hate for this camera can drop the price quickly, like they did with the 6D MkII. Watch for an insignificant review to be pounced upon, like the ISO 100 fallacy of the 6D MkII's performance. Like the 6D MkII's performance, it will be a great seller."

If you look through these posts, there is almost a stunning amount of frivolity and just plain "Canon hate" going on here. It's almost nauseating, but predictable. ;-)
Sometimes it seems like the more people on the forum complain, the better the camera sells......

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I preordered based on what I've already learned about the camera. As an M3/M5 user, the M6 II/EVF will be a solid upgrade to my M3/EVF. The M5 is still a great camera and I can wait to see what the future holds for the M series. I'll leave the M3 at my office for occasional use, and pass the M along to my 7yo granddaughter to upgrade her P&S.

Primarily a stills shooter, the M's are my goto cameras for day to day use and hiking in the Colorado mountains. I pull out the 1DX2 and L's when I'm into serious photography.

Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
I debated preordering the 10D when it came out. In those days, dSLRs were in short supply when released.
Turns out I was able to secure one the day-before-release from my local shop. Lucky me :)

In 2019, I see ZERO need to preorder any camera gear.

Two thoughts:

ONE: I think social media has completely corrupted the concept of "user reviews". The bias you see in these reviews is simply breath-taking. I saw one review where the 90D was being panned because of the OVF. . . .one minute later, same video, rave talk about the M6 EVF. Seriously? The other videos I love are the Canon G7 III comparisons to the Sony RX100 VII. One camera is $750. The other is $1200. Yeah - - fair comparison.

TWO: I am intrigued about the Hype around mirrorless. But Canon has now gone to separate mounts for APS-C mirrorless, DSLR, and FF mirrorless. Mirrorless with adapters. . .is not my thing. The EF-M zooms are too slow to consider. The R lenses are simply too darn expensive. and physically too big. So - - - yeah - - - i buy neither.

If I could fit my EF lenses onto a M6 without an adapter. . .I probably would just spring for one. (it's notably cheaper than a Sony RX100 VII - - > How crazy is that?)

Upvote 0