POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

I'm stunned that some people in here are implying that you can't manually select the AF point while shooting with the EOS R. The spec sheet (even the leaked one I'm pretty sure) and the hundreds of videos on YouTube say you use the back of the screen to drag the AF point manually. To me, this sounds MUCH faster than using the joystick on the 5DIV.

Also, (on paper) this camera acquires focus faster than ANY other camera on the planet. Period. 0.05 seconds. I am thinking this camera will be an absolute AF beast. If you shoot professional sports, sure there aren't enough FPS. For everyone else, this camera will outperform AF expectations (including ease of manual AF point selection).

I have pre-orderd, and yes, I am selling one of my 5DIV. I genuinely believe the R will be a much nicer camera to use, and I am postive it will outperform the 5DIV in all aspects of AF.
Well said

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Don't you press your face against the back of the camera while you look through the viewfinder?
In the case where you have moved it (articulating...) do you have 3 hands ? (one the camera, one the lens one the lcd?) Only when using the lightest/smallest possible lens you have the luxury to not hold it at all...
you Can use your nose! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
But, first of all, I don't buy a new model before trustworthy websites (like Dustin Abbott) or magazines write a comprehensive review.
Honestly, I just have to kind of chuckle and/or shake my head about statements like this.

What earth shattering revelation do you expect to come out in a review that you can't already pretty well surmise from all of the information and previews that have already come out with regard to the camera?

I think you probably already have a preconceived notion about whether or not this camera is good enough for you to buy, and you'll probably view any review of the camera with that preconceived notion in mind.

I'll tell you what the reviews are going to say... They're going to say "Things A and B work really well on this camera, however things C and D sometimes aren't so great, and we really wish this camera had this feature on it. But regardless, it's still a pretty good camera that will be useful and work well for many people."

Do you really think that there is anything that will be said in any review that's much different from that? Canon has probably spent billions of dollars developing this camera. They are not going to release some rattle trap of a camera that would warrant completely panning it in reviews after all that money invested.

So basically, all of the reviews are going to say it's a pretty good camera, while not perfect. Some of the reviews might say that a Sony or Nikon are probably a better buy compared to this camera, and some will say that this is the best camera to get. And ultimately it's really not going to move the needle much one way or another compared to the expectations and opinions you've already formed about the camera based on what we've seen so far.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I don't think you're right in regard to this.

Firstly, the ISO setting in a camera obviously affects even the RAW file. So something within the camera is doing the boosting of the signal coming from the sensor, even when you shoot in RAW. If this weren't the case, the ISO setting you use wouldn't matter when you're shooting in RAW. But it still very much does.

Second, Canon does seem to call out that the processor in the camera plays into the image quality, even in relation to RAW. This is an old article, but still certainly relevant...

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/digic_processors.shtml

"What are the benefits? The combination of a 2-line 16-channel simultaneous signal readout from the CMOS sensor and the super-fast
14-bit analog-to-digital conversion (handled by four separate processing circuits, before the info reaches the Dual DIGIC 5+ processors) makes possible the following:

• Increase the sensor’s sensitivity by approximately two stops over previous models, meaning higher ISOs with the lowest noise of any EOS digital camera. The standard maximum ISO changes from ISO 12,800 on the previous EOS-1D Mark IV and ISO 1600 on the 1Ds Mark III up to ISO 51,200 on the EOS-1D X — without any ISO expansion applied."

So it seems that there's more going on upstream of the DIGIC processor that plays into RAW image quality. It doesn't seem like Canon fully specifies if it's upgraded from camera to camera. But if they're quoting a higher ISO range, I think something has changed.
The stuff going on upstream of the processor like the on chip ADC and on chip noise reduction does make a difference to both RAW and JPEG, but the Digic does not process RAWS. Canon has commented on this in the past. BSI will allow for even better processing ahead of the digic which will provide cleaner RAW images. This are basically sensor related improvements. A new Digic may process RAWS faster, but that doesn't affect IQ.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
That is NOT what the figures you are posting say. They are talking about value of sales not sales numbers. Don't get me wrong, I'd like 1% of that amount, but you are misrepresenting what you are posting.

So if Canon sell 2 6D MkII's, $1,599, and Sony sell one A9, $4,098, Canon have sold twice as many FF cameras, Sony have come first for US dollar sales amount. Which is 'better'? You are saying Sony are, I am offering a counterpoint and pointing out what this figures actually tell us.

They also say nothing of profit. In a parallel field, Apple is only the #3 seller of smart phones by volume, but they are by far the most profitable.
The stuff going on upstream of the processor like the on chip ADC and on chip noise reduction does make a difference to both RAW and JPEG, but the Digic does not process RAWS. Canon has commented on this in the past. BSI will allow for even better processing ahead of the digic which will provide cleaner RAW images. This are basically sensor related improvements. A new Digic may process RAWS faster, but that doesn't affect IQ.
a new processor may run cooler, though (all else being equal... if they increase the load never mind), and less heat would benefit image quality

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Yes -- will be ordered with the control ring EF adapter but without lenses. Then I can gradually sell EF glass to replace with RF glass. Some EF will remain for a very long time. I might get a CPS loaner to compare with my EF, then decide.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Honestly, I just have to kind of chuckle and/or shake my head about statements like this.

What earth shattering revelation do you expect to come out in a review that you can't already pretty well surmise from all of the information and previews that have already come out with regard to the camera?

I think you probably already have a preconceived notion about whether or not this camera is good enough for you to buy, and you'll probably view any review of the camera with that preconceived notion in mind.

I'll tell you what the reviews are going to say... They're going to say "Things A and B work really well on this camera, however things C and D sometimes aren't so great, and we really wish this camera had this feature on it. But regardless, it's still a pretty good camera that will be useful and work well for many people."

Do you really think that there is anything that will be said in any review that's much different from that? Canon has probably spent billions of dollars developing this camera. They are not going to release some rattle trap of a camera that would warrant completely panning it in reviews after all that money invested.

So basically, all of the reviews are going to say it's a pretty good camera, while not perfect. Some of the reviews might say that a Sony or Nikon are probably a better buy compared to this camera, and some will say that this is the best camera to get. And ultimately it's really not going to move the needle much one way or another compared to the expectations and opinions you've already formed about the camera based on what we've seen so far.

Really?! I'm with JohanCruyff - I'd be waiting for a lot more reviews/information before I was willing to put down my money.

At the moment, we have:
spec sheets - which give us an idea of some theoretical functions and capabilities, but doesn't tell us how those functions and capabilities perform in real use
Canon's marketing materials - which, possibly, might not be quick to give us a warts and all assessment of the bad as well as the good(!)
Initial comments from photographers associated with Canon
Some comments from a few reviewers who have been granted early access to a camera - quite possibly not for any great length of time though, and in any event no one could have had a chance to test a camera extensively yet.

I can't say I think that makes for a compelling body of evidence on which to make a decision.

I agree that reviews will probably say it's a pretty good camera but not perfect, but don't you want exactly which things are A and B (in your email) that work really, and which things are C and D which don't work so well? Surely you want to know that so you can work out whether the camera is likely to suit you?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Really?! I'm with JohanCruyff - I'd be waiting for a lot more reviews/information before I was willing to put down my money.

At the moment, we have:
spec sheets - which give us an idea of some theoretical functions and capabilities, but doesn't tell us how those functions and capabilities perform in real use
Canon's marketing materials - which, possibly, might not be quick to give us a warts and all assessment of the bad as well as the good(!)
Initial comments from photographers associated with Canon
Some comments from a few reviewers who have been granted early access to a camera - quite possibly not for any great length of time though, and in any event no one could have had a chance to test a camera extensively yet.

I can't say I think that makes for a compelling body of evidence on which to make a decision.

I agree that reviews will probably say it's a pretty good camera but not perfect, but don't you want exactly which things are A and B (in your email) that work really, and which things are C and D which don't work so well? Surely you want to know that so you can work out whether the camera is likely to suit you?

I just don't know what feature or function you're so unsure or unclear about that would skew your decision that much one way or another.

What's going to work really well? Everything we can pretty much assume will based on Canon's track record... The functionality, reliability, build quality, overall image quality, basically everything we know that Canon knows how to do well.

What's going to work not so perfectly? Everything that's brand new territory for this camera... The eye AF, that weird touch bar, etc... It's all probably gonna be pretty good, but not perfect.

I dunno, I'm just picturing what scenario a review is going to really change anyone's mind just by watching a review, I mean if you're already close to dropping two grand on this camera to begin with. I mean, are you just gonna be like "Oh man, eye AF only works some of the time?? That's it! I'm not buying it!" I mean, don't you already know that? Or "What?? You mean the battery life is pretty good but not on the level of a DSLR?? Forget it, I'm not buying!" Again, I just can't conceive that any of the reviews will have anything in them that is so unexpected that it would really sway such a big decision that far either way. Either you want a Canon mirrorless or not. Do you really question the level of performance that the camera will have so much that it would sway your decision that severely? I mean, at least to the point where you'd be so sure you didn't want it that you didn't even want to give it a try with the knowledge that you could return it of you hate it that much?

Upvote 0
I just don't know what feature or function you're so unsure or unclear about that would skew your decision that much one way or another.

What's going to work really well? Everything we can pretty much assume will based on Canon's track record... The functionality, reliability, build quality, overall image quality, basically everything we know that Canon knows how to do well.

What's going to work not so perfectly? Everything that's brand new territory for this camera... The eye AF, that weird touch bar, etc... It's all probably gonna be pretty good, but not perfect.

I dunno, I'm just picturing what scenario a review is going to really change anyone's mind just by watching a review, I mean if you're already close to dropping two grand on this camera to begin with. I mean, are you just gonna be like "Oh man, eye AF only works some of the time?? That's it! I'm not buying it!" I mean, don't you already know that? Or "What?? You mean the battery life is pretty good but not on the level of a DSLR?? Forget it, I'm not buying!" Again, I just can't conceive that any of the reviews will have anything in them that is so unexpected that it would really sway such a big decision that far either way. Either you want a Canon mirrorless or not. Do you really question the level of performance that the camera will have so much that it would sway your decision that severely? I mean, at least to the point where you'd be so sure you didn't want it that you didn't even want to give it a try with the knowledge that you could return it of you hate it that much?

Some people need to be told what to buy.
Just be sure to click on the buy feature they include with their review.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your opinion even though it is in conflict with the sales figures presented on this site.

If you are lazy to click, here is a screenshot. Oops. Your pants are on fire!
View attachment 180303
Source: The NPD Group, Inc., U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Detachable Lens Camera, Sensor Size: Full Frame, Based on Dollars Share, Jan.- Jun. 2018.
It would be great to show the sales figures of the canon 5d mk4 when it first came out to the 2018 sony sales. I think it would be a different story. The people who would of bought the 5d would already have it. The sony was brand new, so of course it would sell more.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013

I understand your reasoning for how you expect the EOS R to perform but at the end of the day you are still making assumptions about what you think is likely to be the case. I would rather have more information about what actually is the case before I made such a "big decision". It may turn out exactly as you anticipate - or it may turn out there are surprises. I would want to see independent reviews - and user comments (as against reviews) - which describe how things perform in real use before I decided to buy. I mean, to give a simple example, you say no should expect battery life to be as good as for a DSLR. Fine, but what is the difference in real use? Actually quantifying the difference may sway some people one way or the other. Another example is the Digital Photo Preview talking about the touch screen being laggy. If I thought I was seriously a potential buyer for the R (unlikely at this point), I would want to hear more about exactly how it performs in use under different conditions.

And no, it's not a case of "either you want a Canon mirrorless or not". I'm sure some people think that way, but for me - and I think many others - I do not fundamentally care whether the camera has a mirror or not. I am just interested in what the camera is like (its pros and cons) to take photos (or video for those interested in that).

As for buying and returning it, I assume you are in the US. Not everyone has such relaxed and generous returns policies. If I bought the camera and simply didn't like it, I'd have to sell it on the second-hand market. If I was somewhere where I could easily buy and return, I expect I'd be much more likely to say why wait for someone else's review when I could buy it and try it for myself risk free.

Anyway, there are always going to be people who are keen early adopters, and that's fine. If you are happy to spend your money that way, great (or maybe you have the option of buy and return so there is no real risk for you). What I don't understand though is thinking it laughable that some people aren't keen to put their money on the line when there is only very limited information available.

Upvote 0