POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Maybe it's me but I like having the latest available. I will preorder the new iPhone XS Max or whatever they decide to call it as soon as it comes out next week. I am even considering the EOS R as a backup for my A7R III since I just sold my 1DX II. I like new things that do more than they did a year or 2 ago...
Maybe it's just me. I think the price is a steal for what you get. I love the mid-size body. It's just right for small or big hands and the available vertical grip will give you better handling if u need it. I think the 28-70 is amazing but too expensive for the moment. Although it's a breakthrough in the industry and I applaud Canon for doing something unique and different. I think they did it to improve the chances to sell the EOS R. Some people will get the Camera, just because it can take the new F2.0 zoom... It easily replaces 2 or 3 lenses... Low light, available light, landscapes. That 28-70 might never leave your camera...
Just my opinion...

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Yes I think I'm going to pre-order it. It doesn't require me to compromise on image quality compared to the 5D4, and it seems to have some advantages.

There have been times when the 5D4 still won't focus in low enough light for me, so lower light focusing would be really nice. Sounds like it will have better ISO performance than the 5D4 due to the new DIGIC processor.

I also really like being able to shoot without a shutter, first because it's quieter, and second because then I can fire off a ton of photos with no concern of wearing out a shutter. I'm bummed to hear it cannot do silent burst shooting, but apparently this will come in a firmware update.

So, I have no reason not to get it. If it had IBIS I'd be really thrilled to have it, but as it is I think it still offers things that will be useful for me over a 5D4.

I will probably ditch my Sony A7III to buy this. I'll be sad to see the IBIS go, but that camera is a usability nightmare. I'm glad to have a mirrorless option from Canon now.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I preordered the last camera that ticked all my boxes, the 1D X. Actually, it’s still meeting my needs quite well, with the exception of a very small camera kit for family travel...and the EOS M6 meets that need very well. So, at this point I have no intention of ordering an EOS R, much less pre-ordering one. I may pick up the version of the EOS R with more characters in it’s name...specifically 5, D and s.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yes I think I'm going to pre-order it. It doesn't require me to compromise on image quality compared to the 5D4, and it seems to have some advantages.

There have been times when the 5D4 still won't focus in low enough light for me, so lower light focusing would be really nice. Sounds like it will have better ISO performance than the 5D4 due to the new DIGIC processor.

I also really like being able to shoot without a shutter, first because it's quieter, and second because then I can fire off a ton of photos with no concern of wearing out a shutter. I'm bummed to hear it cannot do silent burst shooting, but apparently this will come in a firmware update.

So, I have no reason not to get it. If it had IBIS I'd be really thrilled to have it, but as it is I think it still offers things that will be useful for me over a 5D4.

I will probably ditch my Sony A7III to buy this. I'll be sad to see the IBIS go, but that camera is a usability nightmare. I'm glad to have a mirrorless option from Canon now.
Most of us lived without IBIS for decades. SO u are not going to miss it. I don't understand why Canon wouldn't add it like Nikon or Sony... Bad move but surely a future model will have it. I think we can expect a more Pro version of the EOS R soon with all the missing stuff form this one.

Upvote 0
I preordered the last camera that ticked all my boxes, the 1D X. Actually, it’s still meeting my needs quite well, with the exception of a very small camera kit for family travel...and the EOS M6 meets that need very well. So, at this point I have no intention of ordering an EOS R, much less pre-ordering one. I may pick up the version of the EOS R with more characters in it’s name...specifically 5, D and s.
u can get $1500 for your 5 year old 1DX and a few more bucks for the M6 and get the R, I think it's a wise choice.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Some people will get the Camera, just because it can take the new F2.0 zoom... It easily replaces 2 or 3 lenses... Low light, available light, landscapes. That 28-70 might never leave your camera...
Just my opinion...
Eh, I dunno if I agree with that. an f2 zoom is cool, but it's still more than a stop slower than the fastest primes, and if you're in a situation where you're scrounging for any available light, a full stop matters.

I really applaud Canon for making an f2 zoom. I might even own one someday, but I do feel like it's maybe spreading itself a little thin... It's not quite as fast as a prime, it's not quite as wide as a 24-70. It's maybe a little too much of a compromise in all directions, still resulting in a very heavy, expensive lens. But, more choice in lenses is always better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Eh, I dunno if I agree with that. an f2 zoom is cool, but it's still more than a stop slower than the fastest primes, and if you're in a situation where you're scrounging for any available light, a full stop matters.
I don't agree. People are still thinking of the limitations of 2-5 year old technology. You CA get a lot more light into the camera with higher ISO. U don't have to be afraid anymore. 1600 is what 400 was a few years back. A F2.0.zoom with the new camera is going to be amazing. Think about it.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Most of us lived without IBIS for decades. SO u are not going to miss it. I don't understand why Canon wouldn't add it like Nikon or Sony... Bad move but surely a future model will have it. I think we can expect a more Pro version of the EOS R soon with all the missing stuff form this one.
Yes, yes I will miss IBIS though. I miss it every time I'm trying to take a shot of something that's still (or something moving that I want to be blurry) and the shutter speed I wish I could use is slower than what I can hold steady with my hands, and I have no tripod with me.

Just because I've never had the feature (until I briefly had the Sony) doesn't mean I won't miss it or wouldn't utilize it.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Maybe it's me but I like having the latest available. I will preorder the new iPhone XS Max or whatever they decide to call it as soon as it comes out next week.
And I am so unlike that. I enjoy having new toys from time to time, but I'm planning on getting the battery replaced in my iPhone 6S for $29.95 by the end of the year. I might consider upgrading if they came out with one a little smaller (SE size) with latest processors and such, but the trend seems to be larger and larger.

My almost-4-years-old iMac 5K still seems fast, even using Photoshop, FCP X, and Compressor.

My DSLR and lenses should hold me for 5 years or so. So far I am not ready to give up an OVF. If there is a significant upgrade to the G7X II that I use when traveling, I might consider that in a year or two.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I don't agree. People are still thinking of the limitations of 2-5 year old technology. You CA get a lot more light into the camera with higher ISO. U don't have to be afraid anymore. 1600 is what 400 was a few years back. A F2.0.zoom with the new camera is going to be amazing. Think about it.
No, I'm not thinking of the limitations of 5 year old technology. On a 5D4 I've taken photos at ISO 32000, 1/80 sec, f1.2, and it was still too dark.

Give me a camera that has a faster lens or can go to higher ISOs, and I'll make use of them both. As far as I'm concerned there's probably never going to be a point where I'll say "ok, the cameras have high enough ISOs now, I don't need fast lenses." I want to continue to be able to shoot in more and more adverse lighting conditions, and have the camera be able to do it and produce a clean photo. So I want both fast lenses and high ISOs.

And please don't tell me to get a flash. If you're using one in a studio or to get a specific look in your photo that you want, that's fine. But I want my photos to look how the scene really looked without the added light from my flash. In that case the flash would just be a crutch and trying unnaturally to compensate for a camera that isn't capable of capturing whatever scene is in front of me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yes, yes I will miss IBIS though. I miss it every time I'm trying to take a shot of something that's still (or something moving that I want to be blurry) and the shutter speed I wish I could use is slower than what I can hold steady with my hands, and I have no tripod with me.

Just because I've never had the feature (until I briefly had the Sony) doesn't mean I won't miss it or wouldn't utilize it.
The in-lens IS works so well that I still marvel at it, so I can't say I've missed IBIS. Handheld shots @400mm with the 100-400mm II are great. I got a really clear picture of Mars that way a few weeks back.

The software IS in conjunction with the in-lens makes really stable looking video with my 6D2. I realize it is not the same thing as IBIS, but works really well.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
The in-lens IS works so well that I still marvel at it, so I can't say I've missed IBIS. Handheld shots @400mm with the 100-400mm II are great. I got a really clear picture of Mars that way a few weeks back.

The software IS in conjunction with the in-lens makes really stable looking video with my 6D2. I realize it is not the same thing as IBIS, but works really well.
Yes, if your lens has it. And the only fast prime we've gotten with it is the 85 1.4. Heck, the staple professional lens, the 24-70 2.8, still doesn't have it. So, I don't buy the argument that lens stabilization is good enough unless all lenses have it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No, I'm not thinking of the limitations of 5 year old technology. On a 5D4 I've taken photos at ISO 32000, 1/80 sec, f1.2, and it was still too dark.

Give me a camera that has a faster lens or can go to higher ISOs, and I'll make use of them both. As far as I'm concerned there's probably never going to be a point where I'll say "ok, the cameras have high enough ISOs now, I don't need fast lenses." I want to continue to be able to shoot in more and more adverse lighting conditions, and have the camera be able to do it and produce a clean photo. So I want both fast lenses and high ISOs.

And please don't tell me to get a flash. If you're using one in a studio or to get a specific look in your photo that you want, that's fine. But I want my photos to look how the scene really looked without the added light from my flash. In that case the flash would just be a crutch and trying unnaturally to compensate for a camera that isn't capable of capturing whatever scene is in front of me.
I don't use on-camera flash. I think it ruins everything. I do use studio flashes and on location remote flashes but flashes were invented to compensate for the lack of camera dynamic range. Now u can push the raw file to.almost flash levels. That's something u couldn't do 5 years ago

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
What do you even mean "you can push the raw file to almost flash levels?" That truly makes no sense and isn't based on any relatable or defined standard.

I'm telling you that I have taken photos at f1.2, the slowest shutter that I could use in the situation, and about the highest ISO that I could reasonably use on the camera (32000.) The photo was still underexposed.

And if your statement was meant to mean that you can push a dark raw file up to normal levels, believe me, you can't when it was already taken at ISO 32000.

So for me, in a lot of situations, stepping down to an f2 lens, even though it's a more versatile zoom lens, would probably not be a tradeoff I'd be willing to make. But again, I love that Canon is at least pushing lens technology forward, and maybe someday I would still have a 28-70 f2 in my bag.

Ask me again once cameras can take pretty clean photos at ISO 200,000 or so, then maybe I'll be ready to give up fast primes.

Upvote 0
What do you even mean "you can push the raw file to almost flash levels?" That truly makes no sense and isn't based on any relatable or defined standard.

I'm telling you that I have taken photos at f1.2, the slowest shutter that I could use in the situation, and about the highest ISO that I could reasonably use on the camera (32000.) The photo was still underexposed.

And if your statement was meant to mean that you can push a dark raw file up to normal levels, believe me, you can't when it was already taken at ISO 32000.

So for me, in a lot of situations, stepping down to an f2 lens, even though it's a more versatile zoom lens, would probably not be a tradeoff I'd be willing to make. But again, I love that Canon is at least pushing lens technology forward, and maybe someday I would still have a 28-70 f2 in my bag.

Ask me again once cameras can take pretty clean photos at ISO 200,000 or so, then maybe I'll be ready to give up fast primes.
I'm afraid to ask what do you take photos of that you would need 200,000 iso...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
u can get $1500 for your 5 year old 1DX and a few more bucks for the M6 and get the R, I think it's a wise choice.
Is the EOS R a wise choice for birds in flight? Does DPAF track BIF as accurately Does the EOS R offer 12 FPS with AF tracking so I get my choice of wing positions for greatest impact?

Is the EOS R a wise choice for shooting winter raptors in New England, being outside in temps sufficiently cold to temporarily stop LCDs from working?

Is the EOS R a wise choice for good balance on the back end of a 70-200/2.8 held in my hand for a few hours via an E1 hand strap?

With respect, I scoff at your ‘wisdom’.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The night I got my 6D2, I went outside about 11pm and took pictures with the kit f/3.5-4.5 lens, everything set to auto. I took handheld pictures of bushes in front of the house by the light of the lamppost down the street and whatever spilled over from the front porch light. At ISO 40000, the pictures were noisy, but clear and with decent color. I could barely see with my naked eyes, so your situation sounds close to pitch darkness and unavailable light.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I don't use on-camera flash. I think it ruins everything. I do use studio flashes and on location remote flashes but flashes were invented to compensate for the lack of camera dynamic range. Now u can push the raw file to.almost flash levels. That's something u couldn't do 5 years ago

Have you seen the dynamic range of images taken at ISO 25,000? It is a dynamic range of about 4 stops - nd that is an increase of barely one stop 5 years ago. Even noise has improved only about 1.5 stops.
You can get much more usable images compared to 5 years ago but they are still nowhere near flash levels.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Is the EOS R a wise choice for birds in flight? Does DPAF track BIF as accurately Does the EOS R offer 12 FPS with AF tracking so I get my choice of wing positions for greatest impact?

Is the EOS R a wise choice for shooting winter raptors in New England, being outside in temps sufficiently cold to temporarily stop LCDs from working?

Is the EOS R a wise choice for good balance on the back end of a 70-200/2.8 held in my hand for a few hours via an E1 hand strap?

With respect, I scoff at your ‘wisdom’.
First of all, nobody has used the camera yet so not me or you know how capable the camera is or will be. Everybody has different needs. I totally agree with you about your setup but the new camera might still fit your needs. Who knows.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I'm afraid to ask what do you take photos of that you would need 200,000 iso...

I'm saying that if that were possible, it wouldn't be necessary to use fast primes to take photos in low light any more. It would open up the possibility of using a zoom in any condition, since an f2.8 zoom at ISO 200,000 would be equivalent to an f1.2 prime at about 40,000, the limit of what today's cameras can do.

However if I'm honest with myself, I've grown to like the shallow DOF of primes, so I may still stick with them even if this were possible.

Upvote 0