POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Mar 2, 2012
Don't you press your face against the back of the camera while you look through the viewfinder?
In the case where you have moved it (articulating...) do you have 3 hands ? (one the camera, one the lens one the lcd?) Only when using the lightest/smallest possible lens you have the luxury to not hold it at all...
The literature indicates the cross buttons allow you to select AF points.

Attachments

• CFF92408-304A-41B3-B901-032ED769D411.jpeg
    CFF92408-304A-41B3-B901-032ED769D411.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Sorry, Canon EOS R but you do not seem stable to me. You are lacking in depth as well, you are not exactly the sharpest spade in the shed.
Sony A7III comes for the same price.
No competition.
Except the Canon works better with more and superior lenses, has better support, and fastest AF currently available...And focuses in very low light, about a stop lower than the "competition."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Sony A7III comes for the same price.
No competition.

If you ignore all the well-documented issues around Sony's colours; support; planned obsolescence on obscenely short timescales; ergonomic incompetence; dismally limited lens choices; and unproven reliability compared to Canon, you're right of course.

Meanwhile, back in the Real World, everyone still buys Canon.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Shame for you nobody at canon does.
What a weird comment. Do Nikon and Sony make cameras for left-eye shooters?

Yet I still take better pictures than most, because instead of whining about what this manufacturer or that manufacturer didn't do for me, I just get on with it and learn to use the kit I buy, well.

There's a moral there for many on here...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Don't think it's for me. If I didn't already have a 5D mark IV I'd certainly consider it but if you already have a recent Canon full frame and you're not a vlogger it's hard to see what this really brings to the table in the near term. Single card slot is a huge negative for me as a travel camera and the read rates are too slow for video on a gimbal where I'd love something lighter than a 1DXII. I think I may invest in a simple Fuji X-T3 kit for travel and gimbal video while I wait for the R ecosystem to fill itself out a bit. Canon really has to address their sensor read and processing issues. Fuji could barely do video and now they're reading 4K60P from a 20+ MP section of the sensor with minimal rolling shutter. Canon really should own that space completely given their superior AF and experience from the cinema line. Now that they've reached close to parity on DR that should be a priority IMO. Sweet glass though.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I think many folks on this forum have the mistaken belief that the majority of camera owners are constantly looking to replace their current rig with the newest similar camera - either made by the same brand or by switching brands. I think those types are pretty rare. So, in my opinion, there will be no quick and fast migration from DSLR to mirrorless. I think most current FF camera owners (not forum dwellers) will most likely wait for the next generation - or even the generation after that - to make their next camera buy. That may be 2 to 7 or so years down the road.

The most likely buyers in the short term - it seems to me - are those looking to go FF who do not currently have a FF camera and those looking for a 2nd or backup FF camera. That is the target market at the moment, in my opinion. Because, as many have stated, there may not be enough reason to switch from DSLR to mirrorless at this time (despite the incredible internet hype) Most folks are not so gullible as to fall for all the hype (I hope).

For me, I do not have a FF camera, so I may be an early purchaser. It also checks my most important boxes: It has Canon color, it has an EVF for WYSIWIG exposure, it has touch and drag AF point selection. I'm also happy to see that the R will close the shutter curtain when turning off the camera to create a barrier to block dust when changing lenses. May be a small thing, but shows me that Canon is addressing the important details that others miss.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I think that I will preorder, but probably not for one of the more common reasons. I have a good friend who lent me his A7R3 with all of his lenses and accessories for close to two months, and really wants to have a good try at the R. After I take it for a spin, I'll return the favor.

For me, being already heavily invested in Canon lenses and accessories, the R is not a very risky investment even on preorder. The only real question for me is whether a more pro model will come out just a short while later, that I want more.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Also, (on paper) this camera acquires focus faster than ANY other camera on the planet. Period. 0.05 seconds. I am thinking this camera will be an absolute AF beast. If you shoot professional sports, sure there aren't enough FPS. For everyone else, this camera will outperform AF expectations (including ease of manual AF point selection).

I have pre-orderd, and yes, I am selling one of my 5DIV. I genuinely believe the R will be a much nicer camera to use, and I am postive it will outperform the 5DIV in all aspects of AF.

I'm pretty sure Canon's claim is the EOS R is the world's fastest focusing full-frame mirrorless camera (and I think maybe that should be full-frame mirrorless interchangeable lens camera - pretty sure I saw that in a footnote somewhere)
https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/news/eos-r-system-launch/

I don't think Canon has said how AF speed compares to a DSLR (full-frame or crop) or even a crop MILC.

There is also the fact the FPS drops significantly if you want AF at the same time - the maximum FPS is with AF locked from the first frame, as I understand it.

The EOS R sounds like it has some good AF features but I am certainly not expecting it to outperform the 5D IV - or many other DSLRs - in all aspects of AF.

Upvote 0
I am postive it will outperform the 5DIV in all aspects of AF.

I think you may be disappointed if you are wanting to use it for sports and action.
Canon is really pushing the body as a portraiture, landscape and travel lens rather than a sports and action body.
For those actions I think Canon gave you enough information that they are indicating it will perform as well as a 5D IV.

Often it is as important as what is said when reading the sales literature.
So if you make the assumption it will out perform the 5D IV for sports and action, you shouldn't blame Canon when it does not.
They didn't claim it would.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No budget to get the R, and not that interested about the camera itself, I would love a 1D X II, but the 50 f1.2 interests me, I love bokeh and I want to know how different is that lens from the current 50f1.2, is it sharper, better at focusing, has smoother bokeh, since its bigger it seems there are some changes.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think that I will preorder, but probably not for one of the more common reasons. I have a good friend who lent me his A7R3 with all of his lenses and accessories for close to two months, and really wants to have a good try at the R. After I take it for a spin, I'll return the favor.

For me, being already heavily invested in Canon lenses and accessories, the R is not a very risky investment even on preorder. The only real question for me is whether a more pro model will come out just a short while later, that I want more.
Two months? There has to be a very good reason for that. They have so much other gear they didn’t miss it, they hated it, they were trying to kick the habit, broke both arms, they are a saint, you were blackmailing them?

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Two months? There has to be a very good reason for that. They have so much other gear they didn’t miss it, they hated it, they were trying to kick the habit, broke both arms, they are a saint, you were blackmailing them?
Hahaha :) my friend was out of the country and didn't want to take an expensive camera with a bunch of heavy lenses with him. He took his apsc Sony instead, and left me with his all his FF Sony stuff.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
No, I'm not thinking of the limitations of 5 year old technology. On a 5D4 I've taken photos at ISO 32000, 1/80 sec, f1.2, and it was still too dark.

Give me a camera that has a faster lens or can go to higher ISOs, and I'll make use of them both. As far as I'm concerned there's probably never going to be a point where I'll say "ok, the cameras have high enough ISOs now, I don't need fast lenses." I want to continue to be able to shoot in more and more adverse lighting conditions, and have the camera be able to do it and produce a clean photo. So I want both fast lenses and high ISOs.

And please don't tell me to get a flash. If you're using one in a studio or to get a specific look in your photo that you want, that's fine. But I want my photos to look how the scene really looked without the added light from my flash. In that case the flash would just be a crutch and trying unnaturally to compensate for a camera that isn't capable of capturing whatever scene is in front of me.

You know, there is a manual setting for exposure. Brighten up by 2 f-stops with 1/20 s. Done. That is not a problem of the camera.

Upvote 0